Corp of Engineers campground

dukemason

This is a partial quote from handgunlaw.us. Read the whole section, not just what I posted here.

“U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Property

I spoke with the Legal Dept at the Corps of Engineers. It is their contention that nowhere inside the COE boundaries is a weapon/firearm allowed, loaded or unloaded, with CCW permit or without. However the Legal Rep for the Corps I talked with said it is commonly accepted that they will not harass or search private vehicles for weapons/firearms or any other prohibited item without obvious and serious cause to do so and that within their boundaries they do have full authority to do so even in the state park or other facility located inside their boundaries (boat docks, marinas, launch ramps, lake houses, cabins, etc.)”.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

H.R. 2028 the "Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016," was passed by the U.S. House, but I could find how it did in the Senate. Even if passed by Congress, it probably would have been vetoed by President Obama. It would have allowed CCing on Army COE propery.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150501/passage-of-hr-2028-includes-right-to-carry-on-army-corps-land-provision

H.R. 2028 the "Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016," was passed by the U.S. House, but I could find how it did in the Senate. Even if passed by Congress, it probably would have been vetoed by President Obama. It would have allowed CCing on Army COE propery.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150501/passage-of-hr-2028-includes-right-to-carry-on-army-corps-land-provision[/size]

That did become law but only after the firearm language was removed in a House amendment.

It just goes to show you that there are too many laws...the laws we do have are too convoluted...and it's nearly impossible for any well-intentioned and reasonable person to be in 100% compliance all the time.

Do you have a reasonable suspicion that a place you're going may be prohibited to even have a weapon in your car? In that case, leave it home. But, if you were going to a place you had no suspicion would be prohibited, is is reasonable for you to drive two or three hours back home to return your gun there? Only you can answer that question.

Personally, I think Americans generally need to start realizing that there's a lot of freedom in the forth and fifth amendments. The government doesn't have the right to be up your rear end 24/7. If you're in a situation where you can't avoid breaking the letter of the law, simply be discreet and don't talk about it. A lot of real criminals (murderers and whatnot) don't get busted due to good detective work. They get busted because they can't shut up about it.

I'm not recommending you break the law. Although I'm certain 99.99% of the members of this board have broken a law of one kind or another in their lives and were never taken to account for it.

Archived