Serial numbers on ammo

countyline

In response to an immediate need for solutions that will decrease the number shootings in the City of Chicago, State Representative Sonya Harper, D­Chicago, will hold a press conference to announce the introduction of a bill that will require the stamping of serial numbers on all ammunition sold in the state of Illinois. The press conference will be held on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at US Bank, 815 W. 63rd St., 4th Floor Community Room, Chicago, IL, from 10am to 11am CT.

“Since we are having such a hard time tracking the flow of illegal guns into our communities, let’s start tracking the bullets.” Harper said. “More than 2,600 people have been shot in City of Chicago so far this year, many of them children in my own community. Being able to track fired bullets directly back to the seller will help law enforcement agencies target those who are distributing ammunition illegally.”

Attendees will have the opportunity to ask Representative Harper questions about the proposed legislation. Joining Harper will be national security analyst Dimitri Roberts and CEO of Ammo Coding Systems, Dr. Matt Harrington. Roberts will explain the practicality and possible timing of implementing the solution that will result from passing the bill. Dr. Harrington will be on hand to address the technical aspects of this legislation and how the tracking systems works and can result in decreased homicide rates.

“Ammo Coding Systems exists to track ammunition from creation to the point of sale, leaving a precise footprint of everywhere the ammunition travels,” said Dr. Matt Harrington. “By implementing this system that identifies individuals, who illegally sell weapons that sensibly take lives, will ultimately and quickly save lives.”

In reality the only winner here is Ammo Coding Systems which will get royalties for every bullet so coded. From their website:

"A licensing fee for each bullet sold would also be required. However, since approximately 10 billion bullets are sold in the United States alone each year........"

This is more about Illinois' culture of corruption than saving lives.

How many years will it take for the ammo that is coded to show up on the street?

Billions of rounds are produced each year with some sitting on shelves of LGS and individuals for decades.

I know of people that have some with head stamps of 1964 just as an example.

More Government interference with Coder's and Polotician's making money and changing nothing.

Are they stamping the bullet or the case. Won't help with a revolver. Why don't they work on the budget or get the National Guard to patrol since obviously they can't handle the situation.

Doesn't matter where it's stamped; it won't do a damn thing.

Even if the gang bangers had FOID cards and were buying this stuff off the shelf, ammo sales are not documented like firearms. Yes, you need a FOID to buy it, but that's it. Beyond that, there's no record of who actually bought the ammo, or who that person sold it to the next day, or which gun it was loaded into, who owned the car whose trunk that gun was added to, or who bought the gun that contained that ammo out of that trunk, etc., etc., etc.

Are they stamping the bullet or the case. Won't help with a revolver. Why don't they work on the budget or get the National Guard to patrol since obviously they can't handle the situation.

Doesn't matter where it's stamped; it won't do a damn thing.

Even if the gang bangers had FOID cards and were buying this stuff off the shelf, ammo sales are not documented like firearms. Yes, you need a FOID to buy it, but that's it. Beyond that, there's no record of who actually bought the ammo, or who that person sold it to the next day, or which gun it was loaded into, who owned the car whose trunk that gun was added to, or who bought the gun that contained that ammo out of that trunk, etc., etc., etc.

Looking at their website the code is engraved on the base of the bullett.

What they don't emphasize is that a massjve new database would have to be created because each bullet would be registered to the initial retail purchaser. If you guessed the inventor of this product woukd be the PAID curator of the database you would be correct.

It's all a big scam to enrich the company plus I'm sure state rep. Harper.

Ammo would have to be tracked from the factory to the sellers and then of course when that turned out not to do anything buyers would need to be carded and registered to each box of ammo sold to them.

Of course because any gang banger or killer would simply buy clean ammo or have it straw purchased for them its never gonna be on the street or able to be tracked back to anyone. So now you would need registration for ammo sales between private individuals as well. And then what if they just get it from another state like Indiana right. They love to blame Indiana for all the guns that end up in Chicago why would ammo be any different ? Or how about lets humor them and say you have a fool proof system (yeah right) and now all the ammo is tracked from point of sale to the gang banger on the street corner. Why not simply pull the bullets and scrub off the numbers and put them back on. It takes all of 5 mins for anyone who knows how to reload

Just all sorts of stupidity going on there. Hopefully the state legislature sees through this nonsense and doesn't burden us with this garbage. I can imagine a scenario where some ammo manufactures would simply not comply with this and we would be cut off from a great many brands of ammo. Specially a lot of the smaller company and boutique self defense loadings that many people use. And forget people that sell reloads at gun shows to make some extra cash. They would be out of business.

Looking at their website the code is engraved on the base of the bullett.

What they don't emphasize is that a massjve new database would have to be created because each bullet would be registered to the initial retail purchaser. If you guessed the inventor of this product woukd be the PAID curator of the database you would be correct.

It's all a big scam to enrich the company plus I'm sure state rep. Harper.

And $300,000 to $500,000 per set of coding equipment, and legislation requiring destruction of existing rounds after a fixed amount of time.

But there was a whole slew of bills requiring ammo coding in Illinois several years ago - at least 4 in the House and 1 in the Senate.

None got much support at the time.

Some guy invited me on linked in, his company was something about ammunition so I accepted. I was browsing around one day and someone had posted something about some shooting and he replied that ammunition coding would prevent this. I dug in deeper and saw who he was, a lobbyist for the ammunition coders, and I promptly dropped him as a connection. They are making a push, seems like they found a sponsor.

What about collectors of surplus firearms that shoot military surplus? Take your cartridges in for coding, at your own expense? Or reloaders? Or people with rare firearms that shoot obscure cartridges?

These are rhetorical questions but ones that should be asked. This is clearly an attempt to enrich this guy's company and probably Rep. Harper, too.

Engraved on bottom of bullet....

How can this be bypassed?

A. Mold your own bullets.

Or Kinetic bullet puller, Dremel tool with sanding drum, and reload the cleansed bullet back into the same case you pulled it from.

And some clever gang banger isn't going to get creative and have a basement industry cleansing ammunition with resale to the gangs. Because criminals are too stupid to have access to the web and aren't smart enough to investigate how to reload a bullet...... Riiiiight.

This useless politician is my rep. Does anyone think I have any chance of convincing her she is an wrong? I have contacted her office on multiple occasions, all 2A related, and was ignored each and every time.

And there lies the problem . Contact her not her staff you might have better results

Can we please send the sponsor one of these and include the invoice? http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Frankford+Arsenal-_-215517&gclid=CjwKEAjwltC9BRDRvMfD2N66nlISJACq8591d8qCiSyyYwf_J7lWu4jZSAWWsKXX_aGm-M3uTLk6DBoCU4Lw_wcBSelling "cleaned" ammo is as simple as a $15 tool and 20 minutes.

I wonder if there's going to be a civil lawsuit against the manufacturer of serialized ammo. Since in the process of circumventing the law these kids will ultimately kaboom their Jennings with an over pressure cartridge that turns a hand to "handburger". He would have been a surgeon if not for the law he had to work around so he could have books and clothes for school.

Can we please send the sponsor one of these and include the invoice? http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Frankford+Arsenal-_-215517&gclid=CjwKEAjwltC9BRDRvMfD2N66nlISJACq8591d8qCiSyyYwf_J7lWu4jZSAWWsKXX_aGm-M3uTLk6DBoCU4Lw_wcBSelling "cleaned" ammo is as simple as a $15 tool and 20 minutes.

I wonder if there's going to be a civil lawsuit against the manufacturer of serialized ammo. Since in the process of circumventing the law these kids will ultimately kaboom their Jennings with an over pressure cartridge that turns a hand to "handburger". He would have been a surgeon if not for the law he had to work around so he could have books and clothes for school.

"Sternly tap"? What if I wanted to "aggressively tap", or "angrily tap", or "vociferously tap"? Will those actions void my warranty?

Archived