Picnic Carry

BigJim

Our club will be holding its annual picnic (open to members and their family only) at a pavilion in a Kane County Forest Preserve. In order to have exclusive use of the pavilion for the day we have obtained a permit from the Kane County Forest Preserve District. We have several members (myself included) who carry and the topic of carrying at the picnic came up. To be honest I hadn't given it any thought until that minute but by the nature and location of our picnic carrying may not be legal there. Does anyone for sure (not concealed is concealed or I think...) if it is legal to carry at a permitted private picnic at a Kane County Forest Preserve pavilion?

Well, it's private so this would NOT apply:

Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.
Don't think this applies either:
Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.
Unless they are posted, I don't see any other area where it applies.

Is this an indoor or outdoor pavilion? Indoor, I would assume prohibited as it would be a "government building". Outdoor pavilion/picnic area, my understanding is the only forest preserve district where CC is prohibited is Cook County Forest Preserve District.

True, I guess the question remains, is the "pavilion" considered a "building" or part of one... splitting hairs I suppose but sometimes that's all we have to go by..

Any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government.

Is this an indoor or outdoor pavilion? Indoor, I would assume prohibited as it would be a "government building". Outdoor pavilion/picnic area, my understanding is the only forest preserve district where CC is prohibited is Cook County Forest Preserve District.

True, I guess the question remains, is the "pavilion" considered a "building" or part of one... splitting hairs I suppose but sometimes that's all we have to go by..

Any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government.

If it is not posted the KCFPD obviously do not consider the pavilion prohibited.

Kane County Forest Preserve General Use Ordinance. Page 18 pertains to weapons. http://www.kaneforest.com/publications/useOrdinance.pdf

So here is the section, which states as long as your a CCL holder, your fine:

Section 5 – Weapons and Harmful Substances At any time have in their possession or on or about their person, concealed or otherwise, any firearm, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow, spear or spear gun, switchblade knife, stiletto, sword, blackjack, billy club, any dangerous weapon capable of discharging a projectile by air, spirits, gas weapon or explosion, any explosive substance or harmful solid, liquid or gaseous substance, or any other dangerous weapon, except at those ranges or areas designated for their use by the President, and then only in accordance with the rules and restrictions duly set forth for the proper use of such ranges or areas, or except as otherwise required to be permitted by State statute relating to concealed carry of weapons, 430 ILCS 66/65. Nothing contained herein shall be constructed to prevent any District police, deputy, sheriff, coroner, game warden, state policeman, or any other duly sworn peace officer from carrying such weapons as may be authorized and necessary for the discharge of their duties nor shall it apply to any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while such person is engaged in assisting. “Notwithstanding the foregoing, it is expressly permitted for individuals to possess a legally obtained and possessed, non-lethal noxious liquid gas or substance designed solely for personal defense by a person 18 years of age or older, such as Oleoresin Capsicum restraint sprays (so-called OC sprays or pepper sprays).” (Amended 11-02-2016) Also exempt are person participating in the District deer management program while engaged in hunting in the designated area with bow or crossbow.

It is an open air shelter (except for the bathrooms) so unless I see a GFZ sign I'll carry.

Thanks for the intelligent responses.

That sounds like the right choice. I'm not seeing anything in state law that would prohibit it, and even the Forest Preserve District rules seem to acknowledge that they can't prohibit you.

I've been to forest preseves in Lake County and all the open air pavilions are posted.

How insane is that...

It's beyond insane, especially since it's only posted on one of the four sides. So, if you come in on any of the other three sides, you won't see the sign.

On second thought, I guess it's not "clearly and conspicuously" posted! Carry on...

I've been to forest preseves in Lake County and all the open air pavilions are posted.

How insane is that...

So you're walking your dog,and it starts pouring rain.You're a mile from your truck.Legally your dog can go in but you're supposed to stand in the rain and take it.That is insane.I haven't seen any shelters,or bathrooms posted in Kane Co. FP's ,but that doesn't mean maybe some are.

Archived