ISP seeks to rebuild dwindling force after 'years and years of neglect'

InterestedBystander

full story at link

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-illinois-state-police-staffing-numbers-fall-20190407-story.html

... The number of state troopers in Illinois has fallen by nearly 20 percent over the past two decades, leaving fewer officers to patrol the roadways, investigate shootings on highways and oversee the concealed carry program.

The decline has been long and steady, with spending cuts, a wave of retirements, new policing responsibilities and the recent state budget impasse all contributing. But the death of three troopers this year when other motorists crashed into them has raised the question: Are there enough officers out there to discourage reckless driving and keep the roads safe?

This is a gradual deterioration that has occurred in both Democratic and Republican administrations, said Brendan Kelly, acting director of Illinois State Police. While that has happened, the responsibilities and duties set forth by the legislature have only grown.

Now efforts to rebuild the department are underway in the hope of significantly boosting staffing. Gov. J.B. Pritzker has proposed allocating more than $7 million to train two new cadet classes at the state police academy. Agency leaders also are trying to think up creative ideas to entice more applicants, such as producing flashy recruitment videos and reconsidering educational requirements for the job.

Kelly said he is open to a proposal that would do away with a four-year degree requirement for recruits, instead requiring them to obtain an associate degree.

At a Senate appropriations hearing in Springfield this month, Kelly said the shrinking head count was the single greatest challenge facing the agency....

.SNIP.

...Kelly, who was appointed by Pritzker to head the agency in January, also testified that sworn troopers are now performing more administrative and personnel work because the agencys civilian workforce also has taken a hit. That shift in duties means that even fewer troopers are available to patrol roadways and enforce traffic laws.

In some cases, Kelly said, the shortages have required troopers to mow lawns and shovel snow because there is no one else to do it.

You have people with a badge and a gun, and they are doing accounting work, Kelly told the Tribune. We need to get them out there doing what it is they signed up to do....

"Are there enough officers out there to discourage reckless driving and keep the roads safe?"

Judging by responses to posts on the subject elsewhere in these forums, and my personal experience on our major and lesser highways and byways over several decades? I'd say the insane reckless drivers and motorcycle riders are running the asylum.

I welcome getting as many LEO live personnel as they can out there. Same goes for using modern vehicle video reporting & recording technology against the law-breakers as a deterrent to mindless/reckless motorists on two and more wheels.

Adding much needed staff and improved data processing to the FOID and CCW program is of course also welcome. Eliminating the FOID program all together would be best, but that is the subject for other discussions.

This is a gradual deterioration that has occurred in both Democratic and Republican administrations

During this time, we have had democrats rule the roost in the ILGA. This is not a "republican administration" thing. This is 100% fault placed on the leftocrats who used attrition to cut costs in the ISP and then funnel those savings to cronies.

Don't expect too much from Brendan Kelly.

He used to be the State's Attorney in St. Clair county, then ran against Mike Bost for representative. When he lost, the "powers that be" had to find somewhere to "park" this anti-gun crony. He also doesn't have a particularly good resume from St. Clair county as some cases were "mishandled" by his office and they lost some infamous cases that should have been "slam dunks". The Belleville News-Democrat (bnd.com) had some scathing articles about his lapses over the years that he served there.

The challenge will be finding enough qualified applicants in the current work force who want to be Cops. Every city where I live is begging for Police Officer candidates to the point of advertising on billboards. I here in the Quad Cities and all of the cities are seeking officers.

They aren't even finding qualified applicants to train. We live in interesting times.

VooDoo

"Gov. J.B. Pritzker has proposed allocating more than $7 million to train two new cadet classes"

Do they train at Harvard or what?

It is likely they will need to construct new facilities and purchase equipment what with so few existing and vacant state owned properties in Illinois.

There is a long time ISP training facility off I55 just south of Lake Springfield. The building is still there.

The challenge will be finding enough qualified applicants in the current work force who want to be Cops. Every city where I live is begging for Police Officer candidates to the point of advertising on billboards. I here in the Quad Cities and all of the cities are seeking officers.

They aren't even finding qualified applicants to train. We live in interesting times.

VooDoo

When I joined the ISP in 1986 the pool of applicants was 10,000 for the @200 (failure rate of @20%) selected, with a starting salary of around $21,000. They'll be lucky to have 1,000 apply today, with double the failure rate and looser standards.

VooDoo

Not too far from the QC area (not in RI County) and they've been trying to find new deputies here and are unwilling to send anyone to the academy. Must be certified LEO. Been trying to find 2 deputies for 2 years. Sheriff still hasn't gotten the message. He thinks he can poach from other agencies by offering higher pay.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Not too far from the QC area (not in RI County) and they've been trying to find new deputies here and are unwilling to send anyone to the academy. Must be certified LEO. Been trying to find 2 deputies for 2 years. Sheriff still hasn't gotten the message. He thinks he can poach from other agencies by offering higher pay.

We got a huge entitlement mentality about employers. In the private sector they don't want to hire anyone without experience, but only want the experienced people. They want OTHER employers to train and develop their employees.

Sounds like this sheriff is doing the same thing.

VooDoo

There's a big reason. The stupid age discrimination law. Nobody over age 35 can be hired.

When Monique Davis demands that the Illinois State Police and the National Guard come in and solve Chicago's gun violence problem, only the National Guard will be available.

https://www.rt.com/usa/chicago-national-guard-gun-920/

Hopefully we'll be able to get UN troops to come in and solve everything...

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/12/15/chicago-area-county-commissioner-wants-un-help-combat-citys-violence/

We got a huge entitlement mentality about employers. In the private sector they don't want to hire anyone without experience, but only want the experienced people. They want OTHER employers to train and develop their employees. Sounds like this sheriff is doing the same thing.
I know that mentality all too well. The end result is you're seriously understaffed for months or years while incompetent management (maybe, maybe not) waffles over what to do (local sheriff), make panic hires that end up being BAD hires, change of policy ("ok we'll train you"), or...fold because quality of service or product has suffered due to management's unwillingness to bite the bullet and train someone at entry level. My employer will fold because of that. The local city PD keeps losing cops to other jurisdictions after sending them to PTI and eating the bill for that. They fulfill their contract then move on to greener pastures. No one is loyal. Not employer, not employee. So I can see where the Sheriff is coming from. My old lady had to sign a 5 year employment contract because everyone before her would come in, do what they had to in order to get licensed (insurance) then quit and go to a large agency for higher pay. Her employer won't offer higher pay, but the CEO will buy himself a new company car every year. Again, no loyalty. But she's not doing it for the money. Doing it for the experience then moving on. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived