HB5167 ammunition sin tax

wazzle

I didn't see this posted anywhere but if I missed it, delete or ignore this

Sin Tax

Ammunition 'Sin Tax' Won't Fly Says Illinois State Rifle Association

CHICAGO, Feb. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- The following was released today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

The ISRA is condemning a proposal that would levy a 2% "sin tax" on retail ammunition sales in the state. Sponsored by Rep. Kelly Cassidy (D-Chicago), HB5167 would exact the tax on law-abiding firearm owners as a means of funding a yet to be established "High Crime Trauma Center Grant Fund." Supposedly, this grant fund would provide funding to hospitals to cover the costs of treating indigents involved in violent crime.

The ISRA considers HB5167 to be a punitive infringement on the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Therefore, the ISRA will be working vigorously in the Illinois House to defeat this measure. The ISRA is certain that a healthy majority of legislators will find HB5167 to be totally unacceptable.

"The lawful firearm owners of this state are under no obligation to pay medical bills racked up by gang bangers, druggies, and other violent criminals," commented ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. "The assumption behind HB5167 is that somehow the state's hunters and sportsmen are to blame for violent crime and, therefore, should be forced to pony up and pay for others' misdeeds. Sorry, that just isn't going to fly."

"HB5167 is just another scheme concocted by the Chicago Machine to punish law-abiding firearm owners," continued Pearson. "The gun control movement has been learning a bitter lesson in the courts these past few years, so we expect to see all sorts of desperate firearm taxation and regulation bills being floated in the General Assembly this session. Lawful Illinois firearm owners may rest assured that, as fast as the gun-controllers introduce these extremist proposals, the ISRA will be on the spot to knock them down."

The ISRA is the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership. For more than a century, the ISRA has represented the interests of millions of law-abiding Illinois firearm owners.

Hi,

HB5167 was proposed by Kelly Cassidy.. MY IL state REP

so, I will be working hard to get her out!!

The sooner the better. If anyone else is out there who is in her district

and would like the same.. please let me know.. also, even if you are not in her

district.

Thanks

Welcome Rogers Parker to the forum! It looks like you are at the front line of the battle. It's also evident that you're ready to fight for freedom from infringements and to secure the Right To Carry here in Illinois! OUTSTANDING!!

Since 1937 the Pittman-Robertson Act has collected a 'voluntary" 11% tax on firearms and ammunition. Since 1970, 10% on handguns and 11% on archery equipment.

http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/FAWILD.HTML

If the BG's wanna shoot themselves up, let them set up their own fund with a "voluntary" tax on drug deals!

Reading her bio tells you all you need to know about this liberal activist. The sooner she is voted out, the better.

My feelings are hurt that she hasn't replied to any of my emails regarding this bull bill.

She just MAY be trying to spare your feelings - rather than answering your email and explaining why her bill is SOOooo important and that you're on the wrong side of the issue. We both know you're NOT. But we can pretty much bet that she's dead set in her position that bullets are just waiting for a gun to shoot them and kill an innocent child that's playing in the front yard.

Sorry folks I'm feeling militant tonight. Perhaps we need Rep Kelly to go 1 further and propose a child tax. Tax each Chicago family for each child as most of the shootings are being done by the innocent yutes in the city so lets blame every child for underage gang activity. Is there anything a Chicago democrat wont tax?

This is insulting to all law abiding gun owners in the state. I hope this issue gets out to every hunter in the state that every slug or shotshell they buy helps fund the hospital care of gang thugs. Reps like Cassidy are dangerous people, picking and choosing what groups and demographics should have rights and using naziesque tactics to repress those they don't particularly like. If you notice many of the Democratic reps on the border or outside the city ran on platforms of being "an independent progressive" which for most = machine puppet.

She was on Big John n Amy 560am this morning. Big John ripped her up good!!! Her only response was "it`s only a penny a bullet" She tried to say the money would go toward trauma centers!! Last i knew you couldnt buy ammo in chicago?? I dont think it will make it out of committee!

Only a penny!!!!! That would just be the beginning. I know our guys are very busy crafting good bills and are expert strategists. That said, it sucks fighting defense on crap like this. If preemption is not feasible now, how about some more narrowly focused bills, such as recognizing that anything more than general sales tax on firearms or ammo is a poll tax and illegal. Also maybe, any municipality that wants to (or has) enact firearm registration cannot charge more than what the foid costs. Admittedly small measures, and maybe not worth the effort or maybe not worth spreading out resources, but would provide some relief to Illinoisians especially those in the Northeast.

SO far the following Legislatures have emailed me stating they will oppose this bill

Dan Brady

Micheal Tryon 64th

Chris Nybo 41st

You're doing better than I. I got a response from Rep Bost confirming he we will vote against the bill. I got a "non-response" (thank you for your input...) from Reps Tryon and Brady. Nothing from the rest.

She was on Big John n Amy 560am this morning. Big John ripped her up good!!! Her only response was "it`s only a penny a bullet" She tried to say the money would go toward trauma centers!! Last i knew you couldnt buy ammo in chicago?? I dont think it will make it out of committee!

Only a penny!!!!! That would just be the beginning. I know our guys are very busy crafting good bills and are expert strategists. That said, it sucks fighting defense on crap like this. If preemption is not feasible now, how about some more narrowly focused bills, such as recognizing that anything more than general sales tax on firearms or ammo is a poll tax and illegal. Also maybe, any municipality that wants to (or has) enact firearm registration cannot charge more than what the foid costs. Admittedly small measures, and maybe not worth the effort or maybe not worth spreading out resources, but would provide some relief to Illinoisians especially those in the Northeast.

It's not defense, its shooting fish in a barrel.

It takes up some time, but they have so over-reached this year it isn't funny.

And they fifled an amendment to make the Rahm tax $20 instead of $65.

You may tell them that Uncle Tim doesn't care if it's only $ .01 per gun. It ain't gonna happen.

T

You may tell them that Uncle Tim doesn't care if it's only $ .01 per gun. It ain't gonna happen.

T

I plan on telling them more than that. . . .

....they have so over-reached this year it isn't funny.

It's almost unbelievable that they would file such a bill - expecting it to somehow pass the Legislature!! Over-reached?? The Chicago Dems are the undisputed champions of over-reaching. And to see them trying to grab even more is just. . . . .well . . . it just defies description.

Archived