Springfield Journal: Gun dealer licensing veto override vote deadline arrives

InterestedBystander

Full Story at link...

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180424/gun-dealer-licensing-veto-override-vote-deadline-arrives

The State Journal-Register

Gun dealer licensing veto override vote deadline arrives

By Brenden Moore

Posted Apr 24, 2018 at 10:33 PM

Updated at 6:26 AM

Lacking the necessary votes Tuesday, an attempt to override Gov. Bruce Rauners veto of a gun dealer licensing bill in the Illinois Senate was pushed off to Wednesday, the final day it can possibly be called.

While theres still time before the deadline to override, the environment at the Capitol will be more tense Wednesday as hundreds, if not thousands, of gun owners descend on the Statehouse for the previously scheduled annual Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day.

State Sen. Don Harmon, D-Oak Park, the bills chief sponsor, likened the pressure from pro-gun forces and race against the clock to the final scene in a dramatic movie, perhaps.

Were going to see people come to the Capitol and to petition their government, Harmon said. Its perfectly appropriate. Weve had groups on the other side doing that, and I hope some of them will be here tomorrow, too.

Harmon said hes confident the 36 votes needed to override are there in the Senate, but he is still counting votes in the House, where 71 votes are required to reverse Rauners veto.

Since the bill originated in the Senate, the override process has to begin there. If it passes, it will go to the House, which will have 14 days to act.

Despite the lower chamber not facing the same Wednesday deadline, Harmon said he wants to make sure the House votes are there or thinks he can get them within two weeks before asking senators to take a tough vote.

Its a question of my assessment of the House. And if I really believe that given those two weeks that they could get there, then I would certainly plan to override in the Senate, Harmon said. If I dont think times going to matter, I have commitments to my colleagues in the Senate that Im not going to ask some of them to take a very hard vote without a realistic chance of seeing this to completion.

Harmon said the focus right now is convincing a few more suburban Republicans to support the effort. Earlier Tuesday, there were talks of a possible trailer bill to address some concerns lawmakers had. Though nothing concrete has yet come of that effort, Harmon said hes very happy to entertain those ideas to address concerns.

Gun politics in Illinois are not simply red and blue. Positions often fall along regional lines, with suburban Republicans more open to gun restrictions and Democrats representing conservative, downstate districts more pro-gun.

State Sen. Andy Manar, D-Bunker Hill, said he will vote no, echoing many of Rauners concerns.

It exempts large retailers and puts the burden of regulation on smaller business owners, Manar said. And I havent yet been told a logical reason for that exemption.

State Rep. Sue Scherer, D-Decatur, said she will also vote no if the override reaches the House.

This is not a bill for the sake of regulating an industry because its unregulated, said Todd Vandermyde, a lobbyist with FFL-IL. This is an attack to try and drive an industry out of business.

Harmon, who has sponsored some version of gun dealer licensing for the past 16 years, said he will start over again if the current bill dies.

Remember the ONLY reason this is still alive is Springfield Armory and RRA through their lobby arm signed off on this bill. This would have been dead a long time ago.

^^^

Read the 4/24 thread

A lobbyist working for them made a deal without their knowledge

Yes, please stop posting this (aimed at ScottFM). In fact, one of the biggest lobbyers against the bill in manpower and money is SA.

^^^

Read the 4/24 thread

A lobbyist working for them made a deal without their knowledge

So they claim that. Yet evidence shows that they were tightly intertwined with the lobbyist. I find their denial stretching the bounds of credulity well past the breaking point. But the fact remains that this bill got out of committee because of Springfield Armory and RRA. When they were exposed they started doing damage control. When the boycott screwed their quarterly profits they invested some money. I'll never buy their product at all because I am sure the next chance they get to screw us they will take it. With 'friends' like Springfield Armory and RRA, who needs enemies?

"Harmon, who has sponsored some version of gun dealer licensing for the past 16 years, said he will start over again if the current bill dies"

Harmon needs to be voted out.

He's from Oak Park. He will never be voted out, and he knows it. His goal is to take the anti-gun, anti-freedom, anti-capitalist, authoritarian "paradise" of Oak Park and infect the rest of the state with their idiocracy.

Archived