Insurance for Concealed Carry

yyyz

Still wondering about this, I've been using my weak Google-fu to see if I can find any cases of a self-defense shooting by someone with some type of concealed carry insurance. There is one person with a testimonial on the Second Call web site, but that's all I could find. I wanted to know if anyone could actually vouch for the product/services they received after being involved in a shooting.

What I did find, however, were a lot of folks concerned that a prosecutor would make a big deal about the fact that you had such insurance. "So, you were planning ahead to shoot someone?" The feeling seemed to be that the odds of needing it were minuscule and that having it made you look bad in court. They also noted that it's different from having auto insurance because you use your car every day for non-defensive purposes.

Opinions on this? Thanks in advance.

Agreed

What I did find, however, were a lot of folks concerned that a prosecutor would make a big deal about the fact that you had such insurance. "So, you were planning ahead to shoot someone?" The feeling seemed to be that the odds of needing it were minuscule and that having it made you look bad in court. They also noted that it's different from having auto insurance because you use your car every day for non-defensive purposes.

That's a really interesting twist on this that I hadn't considered. Then again, I have life insurance and I don't really expect to have to use that either.

From what I have read the insurance only applies in a justified act of self defense. Anything else there is no benefit. That should shut down that argument.

Good point.

We live in a state with overzealous prosecutors, think twice before going it alone, legal defense for the innocent can be very costly

And ill own that overzealous prosecutor and his firm when i get done with him.

Prosecutors don't have "a firm".............. the State is his "firm".......... and most prosecutors have political aspirations and are not overly concerned with justice....... their driving force is a conviction rate that they can brag on..... especially if it involves a shooting, because they can now brag about their "cracking down on gun violence". You know, "a vote for me is a vote for the children".

I lurk here a lot, but have never posted, but I had to on this topic...

In brief, I would have very real concerns regarding the insurance company's ability to deny coverage, based on a subjective view of whether the hypothetical shooting was "justified" or not.

Also, I wouldn't eagerly taunt a prosecutor; whether you have a good case or not, they are unlikely to be held in any way personally responsible for any prosecutions and can most certainly make your life uncomfortable, even if only by being a hard a** in court.

I say this as a trial attorney with 10 years in insurance coverage and defense, and another 10 doing solely criminal law, but no specific knowledge of any insurance company, plan specifics, or anything like that; ymmv.

That's a really interesting twist on this that I hadn't considered. Then again, I have life insurance and I don't really expect to have to use that either.

I have auto and home insurance and I hope I never have to use either of them. I am not sure that having insurance means you are planning on shooting someone.

I lurk here a lot, but have never posted, but I had to on this topic...

In brief, I would have very real concerns regarding the insurance company's ability to deny coverage, based on a subjective view of whether the hypothetical shooting was "justified" or not.

Also, I wouldn't eagerly taunt a prosecutor; whether you have a good case or not, they are unlikely to be held in any way personally responsible for any prosecutions and can most certainly make your life uncomfortable, even if only by being a hard a** in court.

I say this as a trial attorney with 10 years in insurance coverage and defense, and another 10 doing solely criminal law, but no specific knowledge of any insurance company, plan specifics, or anything like that; ymmv.

I think that makes sense. Taunting a law enforcement officer is basically stupid. Always be polite listen to them and have a great lawyer by your side.

I have auto and home insurance and I hope I never have to use either of them. I am not sure that having insurance means you are planning on shooting someone.

No, that's the point I was trying to make. I was just surprised by the argument.

• 2 weeks later...

ok this is my first post on this site, i have been looking at this subject for sometime and am leaning towards second call as they pay for everything up front.

Also i believe this to be one of those, better safe than sorry, case's.

IF you have to defend yourself with a firearm, you will end up in handcuffs and being interviewed by LEO's, you will need an attorney from the very first moment.

And if you do end up being charged with a crime, you will need the attorney for each and ever appearence in court, and there will be many of these, motion hearings and actually trial appearences will soon add up and you will soon be into the $1000's and even the $10,000's of dollars in attorney fee's, which if you don't have coverage YOU will have to pay, and then if you are found not guilty and have no coverage, you will get nothing back from the state, just a "you are free to go".

So this is not me being all chicken little, but being careful protecting myself and my loved ones from having to pay out of pocket to defend myself in court.

• 3 weeks later...

Insurance isn't about the right to carry. Its to protect you from the aftermath should you have to employ your right to carry.

Here is the deal, I like most people don't have an attorney on retainer. In the event I am involved in a self-defense shoot, I want a criminal defense attorney there(Not a public defender in the bottom 10% of his class), I want to be bonded out, and I don't want to deplete all my savings to defend myself from an prosecutor run amok.

I don't worry about this in Madison County but should I ever have to defend myself in Cook County, you are darn right I want the insurance. Remember Zimmerman? He was released that night, but after the media and the usual suspects bit into the story, he got arrested. Chicago-land is full of publicity hound prosecutors, cops and civil rights activists.

This is why I'm getting insurance. I'm going with Second Call. I live in Cook County. You would think that a woman defending herself would get raked over the coals less than a guy, but hey, I live in the land of Lawn Dart. 'Nuff said.

• 1 month later...

Archived