Firearm Breakin

mab22

Is there a general consensus on the amount of rounds you should run through a new pistol, revolver, or rifle to consider it broken in? Not seeing anything in the manuals.

**I'll go hide while this is 'discussed'.... :ermm:

That may be approaching the same lines as asking whether .45 or 9mm is better lol.

For the most part, I just shoot the thing. As Windermere said, modern firearms should be gtg out of the box.

I purchased a new production M1 carbine from Auto Ordnance. It was a jam-o-matic. I couldn't get through a mag without at least two failures of some sort. The mags are good, as I use them in an original M1 carbine and they run perfectly. I chalked it up the to the rifle. Not wanting to offload it for some other soul to deal with, I decided to run more ammo through it. After around 200 rounds, the rifle actually runs flawlessly now. I guess it just had to be "broken in". Granted, on a complete field strip, there are pretty obvious tool chatter marks from the machining process. So YMMV.

An interesting YouTube channel (AVE) had a pretty good video on Glock. He had purchased a G17 Gen5, broke it down and discovered the copper "lube". He gave the technical explanation as to why copper wouldn't be a good lube. Digging deeper, he came to the conclusion that the copper "lube" that everyone knows isn't really lube but lapping compound. Due to keeping manufacturing cheap with stamped parts, Glock applies the lapping compound and sells the pistol. The buyer finishes the manufacturing process for them by shooting it (lapping the frame rails). Kinda brilliant, actually.

What it all boils down to is just shoot the thing.

For semi-autos and revolvers wheelguns I like to do 200 without cleaning (usually in one session), clean, and then do 300 more cleaning between each session. Plus at least 75 rounds of carry ammo if it's a carry gun.

Bolt action I'm good with 50 but will probably do a lot more than that testing different ammo.

For a semi auto handgun and to a limited extent some revolvers, the break in is about mechanical internals and function and reliability, not about barrel accuracy.

Some rifle barrels will "settle in" for improved accuracy after a few rounds, maybe just bedding tension, barrel tensions, rough spots or whatever voodoo they build in.

The last barrel I did any type of formal break in procedure on was an air gauged Douglas match barrel on an M1A SuperMatch in 1987. I don't think it made any difference then and I haven't considered doing it since.

In a centerfire rifle I will fire 3-5 rounds for group and function, clean well and run a couple patches with JB Bore Compound. After that it is as broken in as every other gun I own.

Is there a general consensus on the amount of rounds you should run through a new pistol, revolver, or rifle to consider it broken in? Not seeing anything in the manuals.

That may be approaching the same lines as asking whether .45 or 9mm is better lol.

For the most part, I just shoot the thing. As Windermere said, modern firearms should be gtg out of the box.

I purchased a new production M1 carbine from Auto Ordnance. It was a jam-o-matic. I couldn't get through a mag without at least two failures of some sort. The mags are good, as I use them in an original M1 carbine and they run perfectly. I chalked it up the to the rifle. Not wanting to offload it for some other soul to deal with, I decided to run more ammo through it. After around 200 rounds, the rifle actually runs flawlessly now. I guess it just had to be "broken in". Granted, on a complete field strip, there are pretty obvious tool chatter marks from the machining process. So YMMV.

An interesting YouTube channel (AVE) had a pretty good video on Glock. He had purchased a G17 Gen5, broke it down and discovered the copper "lube". He gave the technical explanation as to why copper wouldn't be a good lube. Digging deeper, he came to the conclusion that the copper "lube" that everyone knows isn't really lube but lapping compound. Due to keeping manufacturing cheap with stamped parts, Glock applies the lapping compound and sells the pistol. The buyer finishes the manufacturing process for them by shooting it (lapping the frame rails). Kinda brilliant, actually.

LoL

I have the same AO carbine story. Exactly what happened to me.

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting and suggest you really shouldn't give a new Glock a cleaning before shooting it for the first time. Don't want to clean off the lapping compound.

I go with the manufacturer's directions. If the manual says it 'improves' after "X" rounds? I expect some minor issues till that round count is met & surpassed.

If nothing is specified I just shoot the thing. I clean off the preservative oil and lube a new handgun before the first range session with it. I also always clean any firearm I've shot that day when I get home.

I go with the manufacturer's directions. If the manual says it 'improves' after "X" rounds? I expect some minor issues till that round count is met & surpassed.

If nothing is specified I just shoot the thing. I clean off the preservative oil and lube a new handgun before the first range session with it. I also always clean any firearm I've shot that day when I get home.

As do I .

My personal method, If manual for firearm specifys more than below, I'll follow that. If less than below, I'll do below. .

Above and beyond sighting in:

Handgun:

At a minimum, run through each magazine for it at least twice with range level ammo, then again at least twice through each magazine, preferably 3x with each mag, with what I would carry or use in it for Self or Home Defense. Minimum of 100 rds. I also don't do all of it in one range trip. usually 2, preferably 3, with cleaning after each.

Revolver Pistol

At a minimum 100 rds to check proper timing and break-in. Then a few cylinders worth of preferred SD/HD ammo. Again, not in one trip.

Rifle

Varies on type of feeding mechanism, action, age etc. Concept is to make sure the rifle will properly feed typical ammo I intend to use, and if there is any trouble with magazines, etc. New rifles, 100 rd minimum (see above). Used rifles, less, in the 50 rd range. .

I think it was once based on NRA recommendations.

For handguns, I used to just shoot 500-1000 rounds through them before I considered them "broken in".

What I've learned from this is that what this actually results in is "uncontrolled wear".

When I buy new guns these days I bring them to my buddy and gunsmith so that he can do a "controlled wear".

As you're shooting a brand new guns, bits of metal flake off and get suspended in the lube/oil. You have no control over where those metal bits wind up, which can cause wear in areas that are not supposed to wear.

This is more of an issue with guns that are similar to the 1911 style....metal guns, components that are going to wear initially, etc. So basically 1911's, CZ's, and other metal guns benefit from having a smith do a controlled wearing of the parts. They usually refer to these as "action jobs" or something very similar.

Even though my newest carry gun (VP9 SK) is technically able to be run straight out of the box, I wanted different sights and figured since I would need those installed, I'd also have the gun gone over and any areas that are going to wear, to do so in a controlled manner. Usually cleaning up the trigger is also involved.

On guns where I've had this done, they actually look to be in better shape from an internal wear perspective than guns I didn't do this with that have about the same number of rounds.

Archived