Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

Molly B.

How bout a martial arts school? It is not posted but is it considered a school and therefore prohibited?

I would think that a martial arts school would be treated as a business and it would be up to the owner of the business

Is it under the control of a "public or private elementary or secondary school"? If not, it doesn't fall within the definition of a school and posting is not required.

Any one have any thoughts on lake front carry?

Unfortunately I agree with your assumption. The entire lake front is a park and therefore is a prohibited place. Pretty ridiculous to me given the number of stories you hear every year regarding people getting attacked along the lake front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Tis the season especially at the lakefront--is Taste of Chicago flash mob still coming up?

"Unfortunately I agree with your assumption. The entire lake front is a park and therefore is a prohibited place. Pretty ridiculous to me given the number of stories you hear every year regarding people getting attacked along the lake front."

You can carry on the lakefront bike path because it is part of a system that extends north and south beyond the boundaries of a single lakefront park. Also without reopening the the public right of way debate it is pretty clear (to me at least) that the lakefront is crisscrossed with public right of ways that you can legally travel along while carrying. Entry into any building is prohibited of course. Porta potties are interesting because most are privately owned, and only rented to the park district, and therefore should not be prohibited unless individually posted by the private owner.

• 4 weeks later...

Molly, could you give some insight as to whether posting is required at a county fair? They sell alcohol in designated areas. Their permit is issued annually from the county board. I'm curious to know if the grounds should be posted.

I would assume, by reading the act, that their permit is classified as a "Special Event Retailer's" license, or " Special Use Permit", thus requiring the property to be posted.

Edited by snubjob

Molly, could you give some insight as to whether posting is required at a county fair? They sell alcohol in designated areas. Their permit is issued annually from the county board. I'm curious to know if the grounds should be posted.

I would assume, by reading the act, that their permit is classified as a "Special Event Retailer's" license, or " Special Use Permit", thus requiring the property to be posted.

I'm not Molly, but I'll give you my opinion anyway...the prime determinant of whether or not it is a GFZ is ownership. If the county fair is held at the county-owned fairgrounds (as in most states and counties), then it falls under the "under the control of local government" provisions, and the question of special use or special event permits does not apply. If the location of the county fair is not governmentally owned, then you have to consider the permits.

I'm not Molly, but I'll give you my opinion anyway...the prime determinant of whether or not it is a GFZ is ownership. If the county fair is held at the county-owned fairgrounds (as in most states and counties), then it falls under the "under the control of local government" provisions, and the question of special use or special event permits does not apply. If the location of the county fair is not governmentally owned, then you have to consider the permits.

I know this makes no difference to county fairs in Illinois, but my wife and I attended the Rock County Wisconsin fair last year and it was posted.

I was a member of the county board several years ago when the fair board decided to start selling alcohol and applied for the license. And I'm almost positive that the license has to be re-applied for each year.

It makes me think that, according to the act, that they would need to post. The fair is in it's third day of a six day schedule, and so far nothing is posted. Not even the areas where alcohol is served. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir the pot for them, but I'm wondering if the fair board has been mis-informed.

I was a member of the county board several years ago when the fair board decided to start selling alcohol and applied for the license. And I'm almost positive that the license has to be re-applied for each year.

It makes me think that, according to the act, that they would need to post. The fair is in it's third day of a six day schedule, and so far nothing is posted. Not even the areas where alcohol is served. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir the pot for them, but I'm wondering if the fair board has been mis-informed.

If less than 50% of their revenue is from alcohol, there's no requirement to post.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Blackwell Forest Preserve (DuPage County) yesterday and noticed they had posted the statute governing the rules at the forest preserves in DuPage. The statute specifically forbade the carrying of any weapons including specifically firearms. Is that an old statute that's pre-empted by the carry law that says that laws governing firearms are now the sole propriety of the state? Would posting that statute count as 'posting' despite the fact that it's not the official sign? I did see the official sign on the gatehouse to the campground area. Did not see it on any of the doors to the restrooms.

... Is that an old statute that's pre-empted by the carry law that says that laws governing firearms are now the sole propriety of the state? ...

The outdoor areas of forest preserves (other than Cook County) are not prohibited areas. Period. So the answer to your question is yes. Only private entities can create GFZ's by posting places that are not on the list of prohibited areas.

Edited by wishbone

• 1 month later...

... Is that an old statute that's pre-empted by the carry law that says that laws governing firearms are now the sole propriety of the state? ...

The outdoor areas of forest preserves (other than Cook County) are not prohibited areas. Period. So the answer to your question is yes. Only private entities can create GFZ's by posting places that are not on the list of prohibited areas.

"All firearms, including concealed firearms, are also prohibited on all IDNR State Refuge areas, IDNR Dedicated Nature Preserves,..."

http://dnr.state.il.us/law3/Documents/ConcealedCarryQnA.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to a private picnic (permit was obtained) in a forest preserve near River Road and Devon (Cook County.) Section 65, "Prohibited Areas," is especially vague about this. Posts in this thread make me think it would be illegal to carry at this picnic. Is that the current thinking? Thank you

All Cook Co. forest preserves are GFZs. Edited by Redlin

I'm going to a private picnic (permit was obtained) in a forest preserve near River Road and Devon (Cook County.) Section 65, "Prohibited Areas," is especially vague about this. Posts in this thread make me think it would be illegal to carry at this picnic. Is that the current thinking? Thank you

All Cook Co. forest preserves are GFZs.

Thank you for confirming, Redlin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for the post. Next. Tuesday I have to travel the Rock Island Arsenal after that I go straight to Detriot. I have been told that the Arsenal is off limits to guns, does any one know what the law is? I hate to travel 3 hours to Rock Island then 6 hours to Detriot unarmed

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for the post. Next. Tuesday I have to travel the Rock Island Arsenal after that I go straight to Detriot. I have been told that the Arsenal is off limits to guns, does any one know what the law is? I hate to travel 3 hours to Rock Island then 6 hours to Detriot unarmed

Thanks

Rock Island Arsenal is definitely a Federal GFZ, and as a military installation is governed by their own rules, not Illinois law. There are also a number of local gun shops in the area. Maybe you could give one of them a call and see if you could "park" your firearm with them while you are on the military installation? Maybe have it "checked by the gunsmith" while you are at the Arsenal?

Here is the Oxford Dictionary definition of "right of way":

"Definition of right of way in English:
right of way Syllabification: right of way
NOUN
  • 1The legal right, established by usage or grant, to pass along a specific route through grounds or property belonging to another."
I like the idea of using the common plain English definition of right of way that gives us the maximum freedom the legislature gave to us to carry legally . Northwestern University allows the public to walk across their campus. Right of way = legal carry. The Oakbrook Mall allows the public the right of way to walk outdoors through their mall, and that equals legal carry. Section 65 c allows you to walk on any right of way that "touches or crosses" a prohibited area. It is one of the most powerful tools we have for free movement while carrying. Let's not talk ourselves out of that freedom.

Why use that definition?

For definition of "public right of way" --> What does Federal Law say? Or a Federal regulation? Or a Federal Court/SCOTUS ruling? I wonder what the Americans with Disabilities Act say or the regulations for it say....

If any of those support your definition, then you've got something.

Anything else, and state law rules the roost.

Edited by BobPistol

So if I'm at aCook County Forest Preserve I can leave my gun in the car just not out on the dangerous paths in the Forest Preserve, is that correct?

In my humble opinion if you live in Cook county two of the places you should be protected (public transportation & Cook county forest preserves) you are required to disarm. Unless you are one of the "ruling class" politicians, then your body guards can watch over you with their firearms.