CCL Three-Hour Renewal Course Requirements

Molly B.

This is for MollyB or anyone that might know I plan on being in AZ for the winter and will not be in Illinois when my renew is do Can I take the classes in say October and then apply went it is do or can I apply months earlier. I looked on thes ISP website and didnot see any place to ask a question

Yes, you may take the class now or in October and do not have to wait. You can apply whenever ISP decides to activate the "renew" button on your ISP dashboard. One article from Guns Saves Lives suggested it would be available 5 months before your renewal is up, but that is not confirmed according to the article. Molly may know more about when they will be available for renewal but it seems like ISP keeps saying they are working on it and that is all we are getting from them.

Also, they will not forward your CCL to an AZ address if you are forwarding your mail.

I guess my question is, what is the incentive to apply to renew earlier than necessary? Are they going to set the renewed date to a 5 year extension of the original expiration date like a drivers license, or 5 years from the renewal application date (whenever it's processed)? In the later, naturally you will loose some of the time you paid for, if your expiration date moves earlier?

Naturally, it's probably safer to do it a little early, say a month or so, but how is the next expiration date going to be calculated, so we get our full 5 years out of these fees?

If you can still carry on old license as long as you have applied for the new one , what difference does it make?

i would be concerned about out of state travel and those cops thinking it has expired
Guess it depends on how it gets reported...active/inactive? is an expire date provided? renewal pending? I think a 3rd party is used to provide info out of state (Nlets)

• 2 weeks later...

This is for MollyB or anyone that might know I plan on being in AZ for the winter and will not be in Illinois when my renew is do Can I take the classes in say October and then apply went it is do or can I apply months earlier. I looked on thes ISP website and didnot see any place to ask a question

Yes, you may take the class now or in October and do not have to wait. You can apply whenever ISP decides to activate the "renew" button on your ISP dashboard.

What is meant by this dashboard? I went to the ISP’s website last night and saw there is an area to apply for a CCW but no option for a renewal process. Five years ago, we had to create an IL digital ID along with a username and password. When I chose the option to apply for a CCW, I noticed that the digital ID thing was no longer a requirement; just username and password. Since I still knew what credentials I chose 5 yrs ago, I tried those but got an error saying it was invalid. I tried doing a password reset, but it gave another error basically saying that my account can’t be found. Do we have to create a new account again for renewal?

Yes, you may take the class now or in October and do not have to wait. You can apply whenever ISP decides to activate the "renew" button on your ISP dashboard.

What is meant by this dashboard? I went to the ISP’s website last night and saw there is an area to apply for a CCW but no option for a renewal process. Five years ago, we had to create an IL digital ID along with a username and password. When I chose the option to apply for a CCW, I noticed that the digital ID thing was no longer a requirement; just username and password. Since I still knew what credentials I chose 5 yrs ago, I tried those but got an error saying it was invalid. I tried doing a password reset, but it gave another error basically saying that my account can’t be found. Do we have to create a new account again for renewal?

Old Java based digital signature system and requirement was retired. Need to create a new account. When you are able to renew your "renew" button should show active i.e. not grayed out.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question. When does the window open to apply for the renewal? I just took my 3 hr refresher training last weekend and my CCL expires next May, so what window am I looking at to be able to apply? December? January? Thanks.

I took the renewal class this past Monday, and the instructor said we would receive a letter.

question, is there a specific number/code that goes on your certificate for renewal, and what would that number be? just want to make sure the trainer puts down the correct number, thanks.

His instructor number and course curriculum number.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapata

what is the curriculum number for the 3 hr. renewal?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just what "InterestedBystander" said, you have to create a new account. Once you enter your Drivers License and FOID number it will recognize your info. All mine was there including FOID,FCCL and fingerprint info.

So if I gave them electronic fingerprints on the initial application 5 years ago, then I won’t need to resubmit them on the renewal. It would make sense to me, but I ask the question as the State rarely makes sense.

Just what "InterestedBystander" said, you have to create a new account. Once you enter your Drivers License and FOID number it will recognize your info. All mine was there including FOID,FCCL and fingerprint info.

So if I gave them electronic fingerprints on the initial application 5 years ago, then I won’t need to resubmit them on the renewal. It would make sense to me, but I ask the question as the State rarely makes sense.

Correct, fingerprints are not required for renewal.

I have been asked a question to which I cannot find an answer. Two students who completed the 16 hour course a year ago, but did not apply for their CCLs due to an upcoming home purchase/move, have asked if their certificates are valid from 2017. Since the ISP has stated they are no longer accepting the old certificates (and I cannot get through via telephone to the ISP), has anyone received official answer to this dilemma? Common sense would dictate certs valid at time of training should be valid for application...but we are dealing with Illinois, where bureaucratic commen sense does not exist.

There is an Exemption Box you need to check on the same page, where ordinarily, you'd be entering the instructor's name and CCT#. The box is located in the second half of the page. No Re-Cert required for Instructors to renew CCL. Hope, this helps. Note: I just sent my CCL Renewal a couple of days ago. Send your application as soon as you get the notice to Renew. Any delay may result in being without valid CCL.

Archived