FOIA shows no standard capacity magazines turned in to NJ State Police

InterestedBystander

full story at link

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/foia-request-confirms-zero-standard-capacity-magazines-turned-in-to-nj-state-police

FOIA Request Confirms Zero Standard Capacity Magazines Turned In to NJ State Police

..."New Jersey -(Ammoland.com)-There are an estimated one million-gun owners with standard capacity magazines (10+ rounds) in the State of New Jersey, bringing an estimated number of magazines holding more than ten rounds to around ten million. Some estimates even have this number being higher.

When New Jersey passed a law making these magazines illegal in 2018, there was a debate on whether the gun owners of the state would hand in their magazines. When the law went into effect at the end of last year, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and Attorney General Gurbir Grewal celebrated it as a victory against gun rights advocates.

AmmoLand news reached out to departments across the Garden State and the New Jersey State Police to see how many magazines were turned in for destruction. Local departments were quick to confirm that they did not receive any magazines turned in by the citizens of New Jersey. The State Police would not comment on the record on the number of magazines turned in by residents.

Off the record, State Police sources told AmmoLand no magazines were turned in. We filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to get the official answer from State Police officials. Our first request went unanswered, so we sent another, then another, and so on until we finally received a response from the State Police.

SGT Kristina Pados of the New Jersey State Police responded to our FOIA request. She confirmed what our sources inside the New Jersey Police told us. The gun owners of New Jersey have surrendered no magazines."...

From what Ive read NJ isnt the only state to have no/low turn in rates. Would be interesting to bring to the floor debate when/if the mag ban bills get to the IL House and Senate chambers.
Springfield won't care about the people in other states not turning them in. If anything they'll double down and make failure to turn them in punishable by 10 years hard time and a $5,000 / mag fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

From what Ive read NJ isnt the only state to have no/low turn in rates. Would be interesting to bring to the floor debate when/if the mag ban bills get to the IL House and Senate chambers.

Springfield won't care about the people in other states not turning them in. If anything they'll double down and make failure to turn them in punishable by 10 years hard time and a $5,000 / mag fine.

Exactly, if the law doesn't work, it would not surprise me if IL rammed through a mandatory felony charge for possession, so they can punish those that don't compy with a lifetime ban on gun ownership...

Exactly, if the law doesn't work, it would not surprise me if IL rammed through a mandatory felony charge for possession, so they can punish those that don't compy with a lifetime ban on gun ownership...

They can pass a law that says I have to kiss their backside ( didn't want Molly to put knots on my head ) but that doesn't mean I will comply . :no:

Archived