Photo

Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#631 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

Today was a great experience. We had three of the individual plaintiffs present in addition to IllinoisCarry (Molly B.). I won't try to predict Judge Myerscough's ruling, but she dropped a few comments that suggested a warm reception to plaintiffs' arguments. Of course, I was optimistic re: CA7 outcome, so no predictions are coming from me on this one!

Edited by kwc, 22 August 2017 - 06:12 PM.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#632 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

I agree that today was a good day as I had the opportunity to again see and talk with David, KWC and Molly B.  Thanks for stating the course and fighting on behalf of non residents.  I have many Hoosiers as friends, customers and students that are anxiously awaiting the decision.  Let's pray it is the correct one.

NRA Patron/NRA Pistol Instructor
Illinois/Utah Concealed Carry Instructor

Glock Armorer/M&P Armorer

LFI I/LFI II

#633 OldMarineVet

• 1,709 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

Yes, I have non-resident military members also waiting to hear.

#634 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Today was a great experience. We had three of the individual plaintiffs present in addition to IllinoisCarry (Molly B.). I won't try to predict Judge Myerscough's ruling, but she dropped a few comments that suggested a warm reception to plaintiffs' arguments. Of course, I was optimistic re: CA7 outcome, so no predictions are coming from me on this one!

I am curious, was there anything new or different from what has been in the various briefs and responses? Did the judge have any questions to explore a particular point with either side? Just wondering if there was a sense that the oral argument was actually of value as opposed to just a stall tactic.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#635 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Yea I'd be interested too. What more can be discussed, if you're a resident of all but 5 states, you are banned from public carry in IL. Should be an easy call.

#636 kwc

• 3,158 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

I am curious, was there anything new or different from what has been in the various briefs and responses? Did the judge have any questions to explore a particular point with either side? Just wondering if there was a sense that the oral argument was actually of value as opposed to just a stall tactic.

If Judge Myerscough wanted to stall she would simply have done nothing indefinitely, so the fact she had a hearing at all means she wanted to know more on a few issues.

Our attorney has asked that we (plaintiffs) limit our public discussion about the hearing. We may get a transcript at some point and should be able to post it when received. Sorry to disappoint, but other than a general statement that we felt it went well, I can't comment any further in this forum.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#637 kwc

• 3,158 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Disappointing news... Judge Myerscough ruled in favor of the defendants. Bummer.

Attached File  61 - SJ Opinion of 091817.pdf   200.24KB   77 downloads

#638 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

I cannot express how disappointed I am but remain confident that we will ultimately prevail.

Edited by ChicagoZman, 18 September 2017 - 10:51 AM.

LFI I/LFI II

#639 Soutsidr

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

So this was just for summary judgement, not the appeal itself, correct?

#640 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,728 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Disappointing news... Judge Myerscough ruled in favor of the defendants. Bummer.

attachicon.gif61 - SJ Opinion of 091817.pdf

Wow, this is some of the most circuitous, tortured language BS that I have ever seen in the justification of the denial. With multiple citations of the Heller and Ezell cases, and the types of scrutiny they require to be placed on restrictions of Constitutional rights, this should not be even allowed. Yet, essentially, the judge pretty much said, "All of that precedent notwithstanding, I'm going to deny this and ignore the previous legal support for the appropriate level of scrutiny to be applied."

I am all for State's rights, but the State of Illinois does not have the right, although it wants to and believes it does, to arbitrarily deny Constitutional rights the way it does, simply because the powers in charge do not believe that average citizens should have access to firearms.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#641 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

I didn't doubt her for a minute. My only surprise is that she didn't wait another year or two before releasing the opinion.

Edited by Gamma, 18 September 2017 - 11:43 AM.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#642 kwc

• 3,158 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

So this was just for summary judgement, not the appeal itself, correct?

Correct.

The decision on a preliminary injunction was appealed and decided last fall, and returned to the district court. The ruling released today by the District Court was on the motions for summary judgment.

#643 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,497 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Yes, very disappointing but I don't think it will be the last round in the ring.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#644 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

So following the St. Louis mindset, does it mean know that we all need to go protest and smash the windows at the local Starbucks cause we didn't get the ruling we wanted?

#645 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Send another appeal up to CA7. Hopefully Amy "The Dogma Lies Within Her" Barrett will be Circuit Judge Barrett by the time the appeal is filed. With Posner gone and Williams taking senior status, it's gonna be VERY interesting. Even more interesting if Brennan is somehow seated in time to be drawn to hear the appeal. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#646 Helpdesk9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Does anyone have the street address of the court where oral arguements will be made?  I see 600 E. Monroe Street in google maps.  Is this correct?  I haven't been to the Capitol since I was a kid but am seriously thinking of driving down (3+ hours) for this one.

There is a parking garage at the corner of 7th and Monroe, almost right across the street from the courthouse.  I think parking costs $7.50 for the day?  Not sure, it's been awhile since we were there last.  There is also a  public parking lot on the corner of 8th and Adams St., parking fee isn't very much and is only about 2 1/2 blocks from the courthouse.

$7.50?  It was $35 when I parked in the Loop for the Appeals court.  The difference will pay for my gas there and back.

There's a parking garage on Washington between 3rd and 4th that is $5 all day, if you don't mind walking a few blocks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#647 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:13 AM

Send another appeal up to CA7. Hopefully Amy "The Dogma Lies Within Her" Barrett will be Circuit Judge Barrett by the time the appeal is filed. With Posner gone and Williams taking senior status, it's gonna be VERY interesting. Even more interesting if Brennan is somehow seated in time to be drawn to hear the appeal.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking they'll have the original panel to hear this appeal, with Posner out of course. Even if they lose again, I think en banc is a possibility, especially if the Trump nominees get confirmed.

#648 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

And so, without saying as much the judge has upheld a total carry ban for residents of 45 states while in Illinois. This shouldn't even be a close call.

#649 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:37 AM

The attachment won't work anymore

#650 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

The attachment won't work anymore

Opens for me just fine.  Perhaps your Adobe Reader needs updating?

LFI I/LFI II

#651 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

You may be right, I can open from my phone but not laptop.

#652 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Please tell me this POS opinion will be appealed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users