Ezell v Chicago - New info

Ezell

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 Yas

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

Lets hope the judges are getting fed up with this.

#62 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,497 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

How do I download the file?

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#63 POAT54

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

How do I download the file?

http://media.ca7.usc..._11_04_2015.mp3

I right clicked and saved audio file

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

#64 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,497 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

I don't get that option with a right click . . .

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#65 POAT54

• 2,478 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

I don't get that option with a right click . . .

Right click on the link and save link as?

http://media.ca7.usc..._11_04_2015.mp3

Edited by POAT54, 04 November 2015 - 05:25 PM.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

#66 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,523 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

i found this so very entertaining. Is the city's lawyer still wet behind the ears? She sounded like a fetus. She lacked confidence, possibly because she knows they don't have a leg to stand on.

I loved hearing the question, "when people break in and steal guns from gun stores and ranges do they generally use them for additional crime just outside the door?"  

#67 gearsmithy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

Soo much win! The judges using the training requirement to call this baldly unconstitutional is poetic justice.

#68 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• 2,357 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

I don't know how much you can read into this, but the judges really questioned Chicago's attorney at every step. Other than (feebly) trying to answer the judges' questions, she really couldn't make much of an argument. She ran out of time, and had to be given extra time for a rebuttal.

ON THE OTHER HAND... 

Alan Gura was cool as a cucumber, answered questions easily, and got through his prepared arguments with time to spare. The judges really didn't challenge him on his arguments very much at all. He seemed well prepared for any line of questioning the panel threw at him. He seemed much smoother today than he did in Moore v. Madigan three and a half years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if  most of the panel hadn't already made their decision.

-- Frank

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#69 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• 2,357 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

One question I did have after listening to this...

What the HECK is an ASSAULT RUFFLE?!?

-- Frank

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#70 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

One question I did have after listening to this...

What the HECK is an ASSAULT RUFFLE?!?

-- Frank

One that has 10 or more pleats?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly,
flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to
intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
-Chicago Times review of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

#71 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

I wonder which former school buildings will be converted into ranges. The old Lafayette school would be a good place IMO.

Have all boated who fish?

#72 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

I don't think we should count out the old Domonicks stores that were not bught out by Mariano's or Jewel.

#73 Hap

• 1,671 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

The judges did seem to get the fundamental point that Chicago wants to prevent, not regulate, the construction of ranges.

Ad utrumque paratus

#74 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hypothetically, if someone like Donald Trump becomes President and gets to nominate judges to the Supreme Court, could he nominate Alan Gura? You know, if Alan was willing to take such a pay cut?

#75 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

I also couldn't help but notice the incredible void of firing ranges in the Ravenswood neighborhood.

#76 soundguy

• 4,466 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

I don't think we should count out the old Domonicks stores that were not bught out by Mariano's or Jewel.

I like the Dominic's idea. I've been told there was an indoor off hours range in the basement of Happy Foods at central and Peterson (?) back in the '70s.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#77 ishootberetta

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:12 PM

That audio transcript was sheer entertainment.  I have to believe that Chicago will not win this.  

The big question I have is what will the end result be if  the judges rule in our favor?- Clearly shooting ranges in Chicago, but in what time frame?  While within the courts power, I can't believe this will abolish all zoning ordinances as they relate to shooting ranges in Chicago.  From a practical standpoint I would venture to guess that Chicago will be forced to lift the current zoning restrictions and redraft some less restrictive guidelines under a very stringent deadline (akin to 6 months IL had for CCW measures), or suffer some form of severe consequence.  

Please weigh in as too what you would foresee judges instruct Chicago to do if they rule in our favor, and what kinds of consequence the city could potentially have for not meeting the directives.

Edited by ishootberetta, 04 November 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#78 Marie

Lizzie's Bennet's alter ego

• 4,124 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

Just listened. Wow. The city needs to ask for a reduction in its legal fees due to the ineptitude of the lawyer representing them. She sounded about 10, a kid nervous about reciting a poem at a school assembly.

Gura rocks.

The older female judge sounded like the stereotypical granny that should have her knitting with her.

The whole thing was highly entertaining to listen to! ;)

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

NRA Life member

Member: ISRA, SAF

#79 Googe1227

• Members
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

Wow. That was worth listening to. Really wish I could have made it back in town to see it live.
"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison
NRA, ISRA, GOA, SAF

#80 Yas

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:48 AM

One can only hope Highland Parks head litigator will be as inept if it goes to Scotus. 

#81 armadroid

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

The audio is amazing. Chicago just proves their ineptitude to do anything.

#82 Hap

• 1,671 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

After a second run-through, I was encouraged to hear that the judges all appeared to have a clear understanding of what level of scrutiny was required and of how to apply it. In contrast, for example, with the trial judge and appellate panel for Friedman, who adopted their own idiosyncratic "no-scrutiny" approach.

Ad utrumque paratus

#83 TyGuy

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

Sounds good.  The panel didn't seem to buy the city's arguments, and they seemed more to be coaching Mr Gura in order to get to the core of his argument.

HOWEVER, trying to guess a court's ruling BEFORE it is out is not a game I often win.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#84 LYU370

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

Maybe they'll re-open the ROTC rifle range in the basement of Lane Tech. If it's even still there. CPS run rifle ranges. More revenue. Hahahaha....

No, they wouldn't do that... Think of the children.....

#85 armadroid

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

haha what if they force them to allow people to use the CPD ranges?

#86 BadWaterBill

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

If ranges are built in Chiraq how will persons wanting to get their license to own a gun be able to qualify?

Without a gun store attached how can they RENT a gun to qualify?

Will there need to be another long drawn out expensive court case taking another 4-6 years before any firearms stores are permitted to open their doors?

#87 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,523 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

If ranges are built in Chiraq how will persons wanting to get their license to own a gun be able to qualify?

Will there need to be another long drawn out expensive court case taking another 4-6 years before any firearms stores are permitted to open their doors?

License to own? Assuming you meant carry because you don't have to "qualify" for FOID.

The trainer could always bring sirt guns for practice in a classroom and then qualify them on loaners he brings with him.

Edited by TRJ, 05 November 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#88 BadWaterBill

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

License to own? Assuming you meant carry because you don't have to "qualify" for FOID.

The trainer could always bring sirt guns for practice in a classroom and then qualify them on loaners he brings with him.

IIRC that "license " was the reason Otis went all the way to SCOTUS before he could OWN a  handgun.

#89 officedrone

With Liberty and Justice for all

• 3,487 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

This was hilarious. I stayed up past my bedtime last night to play the whole thing and I'm sleepy today, but it was worth it!

The city attorney sounds like she doesn't want to be there at all. I'm sure she knows the whole thing is a charade, but she has Rahm shoving her from behind. Their argument was basically to keep repeating the same things the judges had torn apart again and again, without any evidence. The best part was when Gura brought up that the city's own witness said that the law was a piece of junk and should be rewritten. LOL

Edited by officedrone, 06 November 2015 - 09:33 AM.

“By concord little things grow great, by discord the greatest come to nothing.”
-Roger Williams

Second Amendment Foundation Life Member

#90 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,728 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

This is fantastic. I was laughing so hard that I almost got a piece of burnt brisket ends lodged in my throat. Fortunately, I had some good beer to wash it down with!

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users