Trump's Supreme Court Pick

lawman

It'll be glorious to see the Democrats cry when Ginsburg gets replaced by someone who actually respects the Constitution.

The sad thing for Dems was that all of them were handed on a silver platter an opportunity to demonstrate the true meaning of statesmanship that probably will never come their way again. Any of them could have stepped back, taken a deep breath, and then stepped up and done what was best for the country. But in the end, petty politics won out. Almost none of them could find it within themselves to rise above the fray and put the welfare of the country first. To acknowledge that the duty of approving a quality and qualified person for the position regardless of politics was top priority. And they Just. Couldn't. Get. It. Done.

From the statesmen and leaders who established this country to weenies.

Obama did a tremendous amount of damage with court picks including his lower court picks.

We have hundreds of sitting judges now who think the Founding Fathers were fools and the Constitution is a misguided anachronistic document that should be changed any way possible, by hook or by crook, via the legislation if possible or from the bench if necessary.

Obama did a tremendous amount of damage with court picks including his lower court picks.

We have hundreds of sitting judges now who think the Founding Fathers were fools and the Constitution is a misguided anachronistic document that should be changed any way possible, by hook or by crook, via the legislation if possible or from the bench if necessary.

And the worst part, is that their appeals court experience will "qualify" them as future SCOTUS judges.

Remember, the junior appeals courts are really extensions of SCOTUS. If SCOTUS doesn't accept a case, the appeals court ruling holds as precedent.

We now have a ton of leftist judicial legislators who will rule in Crazy ways.

Remember when Obama promised to fundamentally transform America? Mission accomplished.

When an evil man makes a promise, it always happens. When a good man makes a promise, evil men stop it from happening.

What slays me is the lack of any consideration that Gorsuch is NOT a radical Judge, when compared to Bill Pryor who was barely confirmed to his seat on the 11th Circuit. If liberals think Gorsuch is a radical (he is not) then they'll have puppies if a Judge like Bill Pryor is nominated for a seat on SCOTUS. Due to their obstruction of Gorsuch, Republicans will be able to shove any nominee down the throats of the liberals in the Senate and all they will be able to do is complain. They are myopic, conveniently forget history.

The story in your link has been updated to say the contrary. The update explains that Gindberg was listing previous winners of the award. Looks like "the women of the Senate" won a couple years ago and "Senators Dianne Feinstein and Lindsey Graham" won another year.

This is a non-story due to ambiguous grammer.

Edited and deleted from my end, you can edit it out of your quote if you want.

So, as far as the Supreme Court is concerned, we're pretty much back to what we had before Scalia died? As I recall, gun rights cases were getting stonewalled even when he was alive.

I agree. If a key 2A case (like Peruta) is accepted by SCOTUS now, especially w/Justice Kennedy's unpredictability, the court could very well further restrict the RKBA instead of expanding it to match the founder's intent.

I'm not betting the farm on this one. If we get another originalist on the court, then I would consider placing a bet.

So, as far as the Supreme Court is concerned, we're pretty much back to what we had before Scalia died? As I recall, gun rights cases were getting stonewalled even when he was alive.

I agree. If a key 2A case (like Peruta) is accepted by SCOTUS now, especially w/Justice Kennedy's unpredictability, the court could very well further restrict the RKBA instead of expanding it to match the founder's intent.

I'm not betting the farm on this one. If we get another originalist on the court, then I would consider placing a bet.

Yes, I would feel much better after Trump replaces another justice or 2. But if they hear Peruta we might just have to play the hand we're dealt. Kennedy might retire, Ginsburg and Breyer are up there in age. Sotomayor is 62, which doesn't seem old but she's had Type 1 diabetes since she was 7 and the average life expectancy for women with Type 1 is 68. No I'm not wishing death on anyone but there is likely to be another vacancy within a few years.

Even one or more of the squishys might go along with Peruta, as it's really an equal protection licensing case, not really an extreme 2A position. It could easily be decided on non-2A grounds, which I'm sure they would prefer to do. Don't forget that Caetano was a unanimous decision and that was a carry case, not home possession.

• 2 weeks later...

One can hope

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/20/chuck-grassley-expects-supreme-court-resignation-this-summer.html

Chuck Grassley expects Supreme Court resignation 'this summer'

Mere days after Justice Neil Gorsuch was seated on the Supreme Court, restoring the panel to full strength, a top Senate Republican said the court could soon be down a member once again – in turn giving President Trump another big appointment.

“I would expect a resignation this summer,” Sen. Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told Iowa’s Muscatine Journal.

Grassley, R-Iowa, said there was a "rumored" retirement in the offing, though he wouldn't disclose which justice was considering stepping down.

Grassley’s comments echo those made in February by fellow Judiciary Committee member and former Supreme Court litigator Sen. Ted Cruz.

“I think we’ll have another Supreme Court vacancy this summer,” said Cruz, R-Texas. “If that happens, as much as the left is crazy now, they will go full Armageddon meltdown.”

Grassley predicted any new Supreme Court nominee would come from the list of potential justices put forward by Trump before he won the election. Gorsuch also came from that list and, despite bipartisan testimonials in favor of his confirmation, Senate Democrats led a fierce resistance to his seating, ultimately forcing Republicans to change Senate precedent by enacting the so-called “nuclear option.”

Because of that, a Supreme Court nominee would only need 51 votes to be approved to the high court. Republicans currently have 52 seats in the Senate, all but ensuring any GOP-favored nominee would sail through. Gorsuch heard his first arguments as a justice on Monday.

While Justice Kennedy, 80, is oft rumored to be considering retirement, there are several justices whose advanced age could signal a coming retirement. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 84 and Stephen Breyer is 78. If any in that trio were to retire and be replaced by a reliably conservative justice, the court would noticeably lurch rightward. Ginsburg and Breyer are largely considered to be among the court’s more liberal jurists, while Kennedy is known as a “swing vote.”

While Justice Kennedy, 80, is oft rumored to be considering retirement, there are several justices whose advanced age could signal a coming retirement. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 84 and Stephen Breyer is 78. If any in that trio were to retire and be replaced by a reliably conservative justice, the court would noticeably lurch rightward. Ginsburg and Breyer are largely considered to be among the court’s more liberal jurists, while Kennedy is known as a “swing vote.”

I love when a plan comes together. Looks like our stars are aligning faster than I thought. As long as we shift one more liberal seat to conservative during Trumps first term, we will be sitting pretty good for the next decade or two. There is a God!

So you seriously expect any of them to voluntarily retire? I doubt it. Those three will definitely stay on the court until they pass away. They may retire in 4 years if Trump turns out to be a one term president, but that's about it.

Volunteer or kick the bucket. Either will work for me.

I don't expect either to happen prior to the 2020 election.

So you seriously expect any of them to voluntarily retire? I doubt it. Those three will definitely stay on the court until they pass away. They may retire in 4 years if Trump turns out to be a one term president, but that's about it.

We didn't expect Justice Scalia to pass, either. Things happen. I'm not really sure about Justice Kennedy, but I'd have to agree that if Justice Ginsburg's seat becomes vacant it won't be because she decided to resign. With that said, I don't wish ill will on any of them.

Enjoy our high water mark. Hopefully we can get a replacement of one of the lefties in Trumps first term. Eventually the Dems will rotate back to a majority and stick us with Obama on the court for 30 years. Talk about Islamic terror.

Yes, if the party still exists after 16 years (Trump 8 years + Pence 8 years and Republicans keep focused)

We didn't expect Justice Scalia to pass get assassinatedeither. Things happen. I'm not really sure about Justice Kennedy, but I'd have to agree that if Justice Ginsburg's seat becomes vacant it won't be because she decided to resign. With that said, I don't wish ill will on any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived