Good News About National Reciprocity!

WARFACE

Hi everyone, first post here on IL carry. I did my due diligence emailed my congressman back when HR38 was big news. Just got a response yesterday. I am guessing other folks in the 6th District got the same cookie cutter response.

Thank you for contacting me to express your opinion on H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. As your representative, I appreciate hearing from you.

In the drafting of the Constitution, our forefathers had the vision of protecting the rights of U.S. citizens to defend themselves and their families from those who would try to do them harm or take their property by intimidation or force. As such, they drafted the Second Amendment to the Constitution, which clearly states that citizens have the right to keep and bear arms. The need for this Amendment has not diminished since the Bill of Rights was enacted in 1789.

Additionally, our forefathers developed a system in which states have the right to establish policies that are best for their populations, as long as these policies do not infringe the rights enshrined in the Constitution. States have the clear legal authority to determine the requirements necessary to carry a concealed weapon. However H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act undermines this authority and endangers each state’s ability to craft, enact, and enforce concealed carry policies that are suitable to their residents and law enforcement officials. I strongly support the Second Amendment right that allows qualified and responsible Illinois residents to carry a concealed weapon to protect themselves and their families. However, Ivoted against H.R. 38 to ensure Illinois maintains our authority to determine who may carry a concealed weapon in our state

According to the Illinois Concealed Carry Act, an Illinois resident may receive a concealed carry license after completing 16 hours of concealed carry firearms training provided by an Illinois State Police-approved instructor and must meet other eligibly requirements, including, for example, not having been convicted or found guilty of threatening or engaging in physical force or violence for 5-years. If enacted, H.R. 38 would mandate concealed carry reciprocity for all states, override Illinois law, and allow visitors from states, where no license is required for concealed carry, to ignore our laws and carry a concealed weapon in our area without completing the training or meeting the same requirements as Illinois residents. That is simply unacceptable.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on H.R. 38. Please feel free to contact my office should you have further questions or concerns.

post-18559-0-63650800-1519267233_thumb.png

Archived