2010 Appleseeds!

Garand69

Just went to my first Appleseed this past weekend. Why can't I read my text while replyinhg!!!! Honestly, I have tried to come back to this site for months and keep getting discouraged at the inconvenience of using it. Nevermind....later.

Just went to my first Appleseed this past weekend. Why can't I read my text while replyinhg!!!! Honestly, I have tried to come back to this site for months and keep getting discouraged at the inconvenience of using it. Nevermind....later.

I believe you will find the fix for the problem here:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20120&pid=198404&st=0entry198404

Thank you, Molly B - it works! Let's try this again....I went to an Appleseed this past weekend. Saturday was a little rough. The weather was bad and I wasn't expecting it to be such a large group fitting into such a small space. Certainly this is a good sign as far as participation and interest. I shot a decent group before training, but vertically way off since my rifle was bore-sighted in for 100 yds. I found the shooting position very uncomfortable, especially coupled with my legs getting blistered with hot brass from my neighbor. My decision to wear shorts hadn't reflected this possibility of being on top of each other like this. It was impossible for me to keep any kind of rhythm with the hot brass thing. They did put a deflector on my neighbor's rifle in the end, so that helped. Sunday was much nicer and I now knew better what to expect. The weather was better and so was my own attitude, so the day was more enjoyable. My shooting still was terrible and the groups were declining, but I met some good people and learned plenty to work on. Hopefully this won't end like the advanced golf lessons that killed the game for me by adding 6 strokes to my scores. I'm going to try to be a little more persistent and make the new techniques work.

I think I am getting a 2nd reminder of my development of 'old eyes' after getting 'computer glasses' from my eye doctor last month. I couldn't get a clear image on my front sight much past the first hour at the range. My vision is 20/20 or 20/25 and crisp at 10'+ but the near thing is becoming a problem. I didn't bring my computer glasses to the range so I didn't try that. What are others doing for this? Special glasses? It's seems like an impossible feat when your target is small (especially simulated 400'!) and intentionally low-contrast (green AQT), your front sight is wider than the target and blurry, and you are not relaxed.

My solution for old eyes is technology. An Eotech works wonders.

Machine introduced himself to me Saturday. Nice guy. Sorry 'bout the shorts thing, Machine, but FWIW, you never, ever wear shorts to a shooting class - no matter how hot it's going to be! Ditto for open toed shoes or low-cut tops for the ladies.

And yes, an EOTech works wonders for tired old eyes that don't work like they are 15 any longer.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Had a great time at the McLean shoot Aug 21 & 22. My first Appleseed but not my last. We were down right spoiled by GunsSaveLife.com feeding us lunch both days and our fantastic range hosts the Holland family. Mr. Holland even sprayed the range for bugs each morning! Seems all we shooters had to do was drink from the fire hose, shoot, eat and hear moving history lessons never taught in school.

Archived