Legislative Update - 4/28/2017

Molly B.

Yesterday was a shocking and disappointing day on several levels. The first shock occurred in committee when the Illinois Firearms Manufacturing Assoc. dropped their opposition to Sen. Harmon's Gun Dealer Licensing bill. In essence, the IFMA threw their customer base and Illinois firearm owners to the wolves. In their own self-interest in being exempted from the outrageous restrictions in the bill, the manufacturers who make up the IFMA bailed on the very dealers who sell their firearms and the gun owners who buy them.

Contact these manufacturers TODAY and let them know if this bill passes in the House, not a single product of theirs will ever be purchased in Illinois again!

Springfield Armory

(309) 944-5631

Rock River Arms

(309) 792-5780

https://www.facebook.com/SpringfieldArmoryUSA/?fref=ts

The second shock came when SB1657 went to the floor for a vote - the deciding vote was cast by Republican Senator Tom Rooney from Palatine, IL. The bill passed with the 30 minimum votes needed to pass in the Senate. This turncoat needs to hear from gun owners, call and express your displeasure at his vote to kill gun shops all over the state of IL. Remember when you call, the person who answers the phone DID NOT cast that vote - they are only answering the phone and taking messages. If you live in Sen. Rooney's district - go to his home office and voice your displeasure in person.

The battle is on, folks. The bill now goes to the House. The House is not in session this next week. THIS will be THE TIME to see your state representative in person, face to face, and politely but FIRMLY express your expectation for them to protect our Second Amendment rights by protecting the very source of our firearms and ammunition - our firearm dealers.

If you have never gotten involved in 'politics', NOW is the time to step forward and make those phone calls and go see your state representative. If they are doing public events this next week - GO, SHOW UP, and VOICE your opinion about SB1657 - demand they protect your local gun shops.

On a brighter note, Gov. Rauner granted our request for a meeting with the Chief Legal Counsel for the Concealed Carry License Review Board. The meeting yesterday morning included the Governor's Downstate Director, Policy Advisor for Public Safety, Chief Legal Counsel for the ISP, ISP's Legislative Liaison, and several other individuals.

The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the long delays in processing objections filed against CCL applicants. We began with making clear that our position is that the whole review board process is unconstitutional. We recognized that the CCL RB is processing double the number of applicants than they were a year ago. We also communicated our position that the board's practice of repeatedly requesting 30 more days to review an applicant was a violation of the statute as written and as intended by the legislature. Our input was well received by all and we hope will result in a much shorter timeline in processing applications sent to the board for review. We greatly appreciate the open communication granted to IllinoisCarry by the Governor and his staff!

Feel free to go to the SA Facebook page and give them an appropriate review. https://www.facebook.com/SpringfieldArmoryUSA/?fref=ts

here is the RRA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rock-River-Arms/103771106328393

Nice job Valinda on being able to si down and try to reason with the Review Board. Thanks for all you do.

Feel free to go to the SA Facebook page and give them an appropriate review. https://www.facebook.com/SpringfieldArmoryUSA/?fref=ts

here is the RRA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rock-River-Arms/103771106328393

Nice job Valinda on being able to si down and try to reason with the Review Board. Thanks for all you do.

That RRA FB page is questionable:

This Page is automatically generated based on what Facebook users are interested in, and not affiliated with or endorsed by anyone associated with the topic.

RRA has no social media links off their web page and most companies will provide links to their twitter, FB, etc

Contact these manufacturers TODAY and let them know if this bill passes in the House, not a single product of theirs will ever be purchased in Illinois again!

Forget if it passes in the house, I'll never be buying from either company ever again regardless. Their intent is clear. They don't respect Illinois gun owners, gun shop owners, or our second amendment rights.

Thanks for all of your hard work and efforts on our behalf Molly. I'll be reaching out to my state rep, but I already know they're voting for this... I'll see if there's anything I can do to change their minds.

That RRA FB page is questionable:

This Page is automatically generated based on what Facebook users are interested in, and not affiliated with or endorsed by anyone associated with the topic.

RRA has no social media links off their web page and most companies will provide links to their twitter, FB, etc

Yeah RRA doesn't have an actual FB page. You have to call them, and there's an option under "customer service" to send them an email.

IFMA, Springfield, and Rock River had nothing to gain and everything to lose by withdrawing their opposition to SB1657. Why did they do it? This simply doesn't make sense.

They gained being exempted from the restrictions and regulations in this horrible bill. Forget standing up for the gun shops who are their customer base and the firearm buyer who buys the product.

They have supported the NRA for many years and they must think the NRA won't thump them for this... And I think they're underestimating the power of social media. This will be on many of the gun forums, it will be all over the Internet by this weekend.

They are already getting negative posts on their FB pages. People going to the NRA convention are saying they plan on stopping by the booth to voice their displeasure.

I wonder if SA CEO will be putting out an updated response?

IFMA, Springfield, and Rock River had nothing to gain and everything to lose by withdrawing their opposition to SB1657. Why did they do it? This simply doesn't make sense.

I have a feeling the manufacturers followed advice that looked at this only from the point of view of eliminating the direct legislative impact on them, but that didn't include any public relations or profit projection questions.

Grassroots groups like IllinoisCarry (among others) have rallied the troops to fight off every AWB that the gun haters in Illinois have thrown at us. How many letters, phone calls, emails and face to face meetings have happened because of 2A supporters like you and me? Our hard-fought battles have kept them in business. If not for our hard work, they would have shuttered up their factories years ago.

And this is how they thank us?

F 'em.

I have a feeling the manufacturers followed advice that looked at this only from the point of view of eliminating the direct legislative impact on them, but that didn't include any public relations or profit projection questions.

...which will result in a huge net loss. What a shame.

I don't want to own a firearm produced by anyone that stupid.

They have supported the NRA for many years and they must think the NRA won't thump them for this... And I think they're underestimating the power of social media. This will be on many of the gun forums, it will be all over the Internet by this weekend.

What...you think the nra was not contacted before there decision...i wont be surprised if you hear nothing from the nra on this......

I don't want to own a firearm produced by anyone that stupid.

Oh I get that, but if we give them no hope of redeeming themselves there's less incentive for them to adopt a new position.

If they were to get smarter, I'd have more confidence in their products.

Like opposing SB1657 (and HB2541)?

Such any easy solution . Like falling off a log...

SPECIAL THANKS to the ONLY DEMOCRAT to vote "NO", State Senator Tom Cullerton. A courageous man.

Don't forget to share the "love" for his "YES" vote with APPOINTED State Senator Tom Rooney -

an APPOINTED Republican State Senator and former alderman and mayor of rolling meadows.

He is the ONLY Republican to vote "YES" for the bill, while Christine Radogno merely voted "present".

I am really really getting very annoyed with the republican "appointers" in this state. A long history of stepping in it.

to summarize the vote:

37 democrats 29 democrats voted "yes" for the bill, 7 entered a "NV" which did not help the bill to pass. 1 democrat hero voted "NO".

22 republicans 20 republicans voted "NO" against the bill, 1 voted "present" and one voted "YES" for the bill.

I consider the "NV" to be political cover, keeping their anti-gun colleagues metaphorically in the dark without an explicit "no" vote that would go against the party line that seems to have been pushed hard in this instance...

Archived