Some Illinois Residents Give Up On Police Protection

Gary

I just heard news on Channel 4 in St. Louis that a whole community in East St. Louis have declared that they will no longer call police if there is a break in. The reporter asked one lady what she would do and she showed him a handgun that was in a carrying case. She said that she had just purchased it a week ago.

ANARCHY!!!

(KMOV) – Residents in one East St. Louis community are buying guns after dozens of home burglaries and car thefts, claiming police have been too slow to respond.

They say there have been at least 75 incidents in the last two months.

When asked about these crimes, police said they could not verify the high number of incidents residents cited because of a computer glitch.

A computer glitch?? It sounds like the police are having problems of their own.....

What's their excuse for poor response time? Mechanical problems with the squad cars??

They are severely understaffed due to budget cuts from what I have heard. As in, it is getting to the point where they only have one or two officers on patrol in East STL overnight. How would you like to be that lone officer?

In my last 3 years working in the printing industry, I was put on one of these "continuous operation" schedules and expected to work a weekend shift on a regular basis. This schedule was 12 hours Saturday and 12 hours Sunday, then 8 hours for Monday and Tuesday. with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off. Every single week of those 3 years I worked weekends for straight time. And if that wasn't unpleasant enough, this two man "weekend crew" was expected to produce the output of the regular weekday five man crew. When I told management I wanted out, I was denied a job transfer. I was told I was overqualified for any other production job. So I got out - I walked away with twenty years in the trade. I was being screwed and I wasn't going to stand for it.

If I was the sole officer on duty at night in East STL - what do you suppose I'd do?

They are severely understaffed due to budget cuts from what I have heard. As in, it is getting to the point where they only have one or two officers on patrol in East STL overnight. How would you like to be that lone officer?

In my last 3 years working in the printing industry, I was put on one of these "continuous operation" schedules and expected to work a weekend shift on a regular basis. This schedule was 12 hours Saturday and 12 hours Sunday, then 8 hours for Monday and Tuesday. with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off. Every single week of those 3 years I worked weekends for straight time. And if that wasn't unpleasant enough, this two man "weekend crew" was expected to produce the output of the regular weekday five man crew. When I told management I wanted out, I was denied a job transfer. I was told I was overqualified for any other production job. So I got out - I walked away with twenty years in the trade. I was being screwed and I wasn't going to stand for it.

If I was the sole officer on duty at night in East STL - what do you suppose I'd do?

Well, I am not sure what I would do, but it might be suitable to some officers to make sure they got there in time to write the report and to make sure that the ambulance and fire department had arrived on scene.

Archived