Current FOID wait times...

SCARLETfrost

My FOID expires in Feb and I have never received any type of notification or renewal form in the mail. I couldn't find a renewal form on line so I sent in the standard form.

Well, I mailed the form on 12/27 and my check was cashed on 12/29. Maybe they're on top of the applications now?????

It ain't check cashing they're slow on, it's card issuance. If you don't see your card in your mail box on Monday, January 30, call your State Rep or Senator.

It's actually a bank that receives your application package, not the ISP. Does that give you some insight on the priority of the whole FOID system?

My FOID expires in Feb and I have never received any type of notification or renewal form in the mail. I couldn't find a renewal form on line so I sent in the standard form.

Interesting. I've always gotten plenty of notification. I got notification in November '11, for a card that expires at the beginning of March '12. I used a local license and title place to minimize my hassle, sent it in 12/3, and got the FOID last week of December.

Interesting. I've always gotten plenty of notification. I got notification in November '11, for a card that expires at the beginning of March '12. I used a local license and title place to minimize my hassle, sent it in 12/3, and got the FOID last week of December.

IIRC, the "notification" is simply an application, not even sure it's in an envelope. Not very official looking, easy to overlook and "file" with the junk mail. I'm bettin' that many of the "never got notified" claims are due to the notices being poorly identified.

Anyway, Smitty, keep track of the days, and put your elected officials on speed dial.

Tim

Had to call about my son's FOID today, mailed it Nov. 16 (I forgot about it until he asked yesterday). His half sister received her's in 25 days....I dropped her's in the mail on the same day for her.

At any rate, Rep. Reis' assistant said he should have it by Monday.

Well done Milq. And now, when something comes up on the House floor about the FOID, Rep Reis will remember that he had to get involved just to get them to do their job. The more we can make our elected officials aware of the shortcomings of the FOID program, the more likely we are to get it changed someday.

Everyone, CALL on day 31!!!

Tim

His assistant seemed pretty familiar with the drill... I mentioned that my son's app had been mailed in November and he said "I'll be happy to look into it for you".

I also took time to ask for Rep. Reis' continued support of HB 148 and thanked him for his passionate speech on the floor the day it was up for a vote. Never hurts o let them know people are listening/watching and appreciative.

Today was day 30 today after I saw that the check was cashed. Called my rep (Keith Sommer) talke to a lady from his office she took down my information and called me back about an hour later and assured me it would be in the mail first thing next week. BTW in the "for" line on my check I wrote "constitional rights"

Today was day 30 today after I saw that the check was cashed. Called my rep (Keith Sommer) talke to a lady from his office she took down my information and called me back about an hour later and assured me it would be in the mail first thing next week. BTW in the "for" line on my check I wrote "constitional rights"

Well done Samy

My wife sent her apply on 12-18,check was cashed on 12-22. Regular mail. Her card was in the mail today.

In my few years of paying close attention to reports of issuance times, it seems that ladies get their cards much more quickly than men.

Maybe we can give that a test I'll be sending my wife's in as soon as I recieve mine so we can do a comparison. Also I am having a son in march and was toying with the idea of sending his in when he is about a week old? Could that be some kind I record? Haha

Well, I mailed the form on 12/27 and my check was cashed on 12/29. Maybe they're on top of the applications now?????

To my shock and amazement, I received my new FOID on Saturday - 10 business days after they cashed my check!!!

So, I got a post card in the mail about the ECA, Inc. Gun & Knife show this coming weekend in Springfield at the Illinois State Fairground.

On it, it says that they will process Foid cards? My brother wants to get his FOID card renewed...does this mean that he would be able to get his application processed that day?

Anyone know more about this?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but rather than start a new one I figured I'd ask here.

My wife's wallet was stolen, and her FOID was in it. The State Police number for FOID inquiries is permanently busy, and I can't find anything on the website about what to do to get it replaced. Does anyone here know the procedure for getting a replacement FOID?

Thanks for your help.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but rather than start a new one I figured I'd ask here.

My wife's wallet was stolen, and her FOID was in it. The State Police number for FOID inquiries is permanently busy, and I can't find anything on the website about what to do to get it replaced. Does anyone here know the procedure for getting a replacement FOID?

Thanks for your help.

I'm fairly certain you have to re-apply. It's the same process whether new or renewal.

Thanks for your help.

It's my understanding as well that you need to reapply as Federal Farmer stated.

UPDATE: when I got home from school yesterday my wife told me our rep (Sommer) had called our house to make sure we knew to call him again if the card wasn't here by the end of the week. I thought that was pretty cool. He voted yes for 148 unless anyone knows something else about this guy I think he has secured my vote

I recently moved back home to Illinois from Minnesota. And I am completely infuriated by this entire process. I have a permit to carry from Minnesota, as well as a NH permit, belonged to a gun club, and am a huge gun safety advocate. What bothers me the most is that I need to apply to the Illinois State Police in order to merely POSSESS a firearm, a right acknowledged by the Constitution, and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court. Since I am approx. 44 days waiting for a FOID card, this right is continued to be denied to myself and my family. I was not able to apply for a FOID card until I had an IL drivers license. What am I supposed to do in the meantime? Put my guns in storage? I was told that this is a gray area in the law, and encouraged to get the card ASAP. I cannot believe that of all the power the NRA-ILA has, this has not been brought up. How can the state require me to apply for a right that I already have, as confirmed by the Supremes? Sorry for the rant.... I need to touch base with my Rep, I hear that he is very 2A friendly. Anyway, thanks for fighting the fight!

I just moved from Kansas to Il and have the same issues. KS CCW, FL CCW, trained/certified in weapons/tactics, etc. Weird thing is that I am military and refuse to get a IL ID card while I am here...yet I can't get a FOID card without a IL license. Called the "FOID line" but - as everyone knows - it stays busy! Finally got a hold of the State Police safety officer and he informed me that I don't need a FOID card due to military ID and out-of-state license. Hmmmm...

I don't plan on buying any guns here in Il. Don't plan on shooting here or buying ammo- I will cross the MO border and enjoy their laws. I'm very disappointed in all things in this state...but will deal with it while stationed here.

Take care, never stop fighting.

I just moved from Kansas to Il and have the same issues. KS CCW, FL CCW, trained/certified in weapons/tactics, etc. Weird thing is that I am military and refuse to get a IL ID card while I am here...yet I can't get a FOID card without a IL license. Called the "FOID line" but - as everyone knows - it stays busy! Finally got a hold of the State Police safety officer and he informed me that I don't need a FOID card due to military ID and out-of-state license. Hmmmm...

I don't plan on buying any guns here in Il. Don't plan on shooting here or buying ammo- I will cross the MO border and enjoy their laws. I'm very disappointed in all things in this state...but will deal with it while stationed here.

Take care, never stop fighting.

Strange, isn't it? Illinois trusts "out of staters" and doesn't require a FOID of them, just an OOS driver's license. Those of us that live here, were born here, lived many decades here, pay lots of taxes here, and call this state home, we must be "double vetted" with a FOID as well as the normal NICS when we purchase a gun. Oh, that's right, it's not the "normal" NICS, it's run through a "special" ISP check system. That system just happens to go down when the national system goes down. Think there might be a connection.

Thank you for your service, kudos to you for refusing to get an IL ID, good luck to you in the future.

Tim

Well done Milq. And now, when something comes up on the House floor about the FOID, Rep Reis will remember that he had to get involved just to get them to do their job. The more we can make our elected officials aware of the shortcomings of the FOID program, the more likely we are to get it changed someday.

Everyone, CALL on day 31!!!

Tim

Had to call Rep. Reis' office AGAIN last week, as my son still doesn't have his card. The assistant remembered me and was able to pull all of my info pretty quickly, he said he'd ask Rep. Reis to call personally this time. We also had a long discussion on the ISP not holding up their end of the deal on this whole sham.

Don't let your FOID card lapse. I saw this on the Illinois State Police Website. What I don't understand is why they would seize your expired FOID card? What if you did not renew your FOID because you were moving, or keeping your guns out of state at deer camp, or with relatives, etc.? Do we have to turn in the old expired FOID cards?

My link

Rockford, Ill. -- The Illinois State Police, Rockford Police Department, Winnebago County Sheriff's Office, Loves Park Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) conducted a revoked Firearms Owner Identification (FOID) card operation this morning as part of the continuing "Operation Clean Sweep."

The operation started early Wednesday morning with approximately 25-30 officers from Illinois State Police, Rockford Police, Winnebago County Sheriff's, Loves Police and the ATF. Approximately 25 residences were targeted as part of the operation. The purpose of the operation was to ensure individuals with revoked FOID privileges were not illegally possessing or transferring firearms.

The results of Operation Clean Sweep include:

• 11 FOID cards seized
  • 4 firearms recovered
  • 67 cannabis plants seized from an in-door grow operation
  • 400 grams of processed cannabis seized
  • 2 arrests for outstanding warrants
  • 1 arrest for failure to keep firearm transfer records
  • 1 arrest for possession of cannabis with intent to deliver and manufacture of cannabis sativa plants

Don't let your FOID card lapse. I saw this on the Illinois State Police Website. What I don't understand is why they would seize your expired FOID card? What if you did not renew your FOID because you were moving, or keeping your guns out of state at deer camp, or with relatives, etc.? Do we have to turn in the old expired FOID cards?

My link

Rockford, Ill. -- The Illinois State Police, Rockford Police Department, Winnebago County Sheriff's Office, Loves Park Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) conducted a revoked Firearms Owner Identification (FOID) card operation this morning as part of the continuing "Operation Clean Sweep."

The operation started early Wednesday morning with approximately 25-30 officers from Illinois State Police, Rockford Police, Winnebago County Sheriff's, Loves Police and the ATF. Approximately 25 residences were targeted as part of the operation. The purpose of the operation was to ensure individuals with revoked FOID privileges were not illegally possessing or transferring firearms.

The results of Operation Clean Sweep include:

• 11 FOID cards seized
  • 4 firearms recovered
  • 67 cannabis plants seized from an in-door grow operation
  • 400 grams of processed cannabis seized
  • 2 arrests for outstanding warrants
  • 1 arrest for failure to keep firearm transfer records
  • 1 arrest for possession of cannabis with intent to deliver and manufacture of cannabis sativa plants

I think they're talking about "revoked" cards here, not "lapsed". The FOID law requires that your FOID be revoked when you're found guilty of a felony or certain misdemeanors involving domestic violence. The circuity clerk (I think) is required to notify the ISP of such convictions and the ISP is to physically seize the cards. Looks like the raids were conducted on folks that had been reported as having thier FOID priviledges revoked, not just people that had expired cards.

I think they're talking about "revoked" cards here, not "lapsed". The FOID law requires that your FOID be revoked when you're found guilty of a felony or certain misdemeanors involving domestic violence. The circuity clerk (I think) is required to notify the ISP of such convictions and the ISP is to physically seize the cards. Looks like the raids were conducted on folks that had been reported as having thier FOID priviledges revoked, not just people that had expired cards.

Yeppers, it does say revoked. I should read more carefully before posting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well...my FOID wait is into 45+ days (after check cashing)... I have called my State Rep. and Senator's office, daily, starting 6 days ago..

At both places, they told me "The lady processing is off sick for several days and is still out. She is the only one doing this now."

Not too sure how accurate that is, but I hope I can get some movement on mine before it lapses..

Anyone else calling this week and getting this information?

Thanks

Well...my FOID wait is into 45+ days (after check cashing)... I have called my State Rep. and Senator's office, daily, starting 6 days ago..

At both places, they told me "The lady processing is off sick for several days and is still out. She is the only one doing this now."

Not too sure how accurate that is, but I hope I can get some movement on mine before it lapses..

Anyone else calling this week and getting this information?

Thanks

That's bull. There's got to be more than one person processing FOIDS. Keep calling. Todd is "between his two jobs" right now and may not be able to lend a hand. Maybe he'll be able to help if this continues. Who's your Rep and Senator??

Tim

Archived