ATF singles out 23 SB tactical firearms braces

InterestedBystander

Full article at link.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/11/atf-singles-out-23-sb-tactical-firearms-braces-that-do-not-have-determination-letters

..."Washington, DC -(AmmoLand.com)- AmmoLand News has just received documents (embedded below) as part of an FOIA request that our team recently submitted to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) after the Agencys recent Honey Badger pistol brace fiasco.

The ATF turned over documents, first to AmmoLand News, that alleged the popular pistol brace company SB Tactical had misinformed the public about its pistol braces legality. The ATF claimed that, despite repeated ATF warnings, that specific SB Tactical Brace models are not, in fact, braces, but instead, stocks that turn pistols into illegal short-barreled rifles in violation of the NFA."...

23-SB-Tactical-braces-ATF-Claims-Have-No

If you don't want to wait for scribd to load at the links:

These are the submitted SB Tactical braces approved by ATF:

• SB15 (Original submission) . . . . . . . . . . . . • MPX PSB

SB Tactical braces not submitted nor approved by ATF:

• SBA3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . • SBT5KA

• SBPDW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• SBTEVO

• SB-MINI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• SBT805

• SBL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• SBT

• SBM4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . • SBTI

• SOB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• VECTORPSB

• SBX-K . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• UZI PSB

• SBV . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• TAC14-SBM4

• SBM47 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• 590-SBM4

• SOB47 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .• TAC14-SBL

• SBT5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . • 590-SBL

• SBT5A

SB Tactical must cease false advertisement of products as ATF approved which have not been evaluated nor approved. If SB Tactical would like to get an official determination for these products, they may be submitted to FTISB for evaluation and classification.

So maybe ATF is showing some flexibility, if SB Tactical submits all those braces for evaluation, although they have to be submitted attached to guns ...

Thanks for update. They removed screen shot and updated URL

..."Editors Note: This story has been edited to clarify previous comments and includes additional facts that have come to light since we first posted. The ATF's confusing and contradictory approval process is an evolving story and we will continue to update and inform our readers as we get better information. Despite rumors, there is no known official change to ATF policy as it relates to the legality of pistol braces."...

My cautious advice based upon my reading of this issue throughout yesterday is to remove SB Tactical braces from any pistol you may have. The issue is primed for someone to get pinched on an NFA violation.

If you want a brace the thing to buy is a brace with a specific letter stating that it's installation on a pistol does not create a NFA controlled firearm.

The GHW Tailhook mod 2 is one such device.

My cautious advice based upon my reading of this issue throughout yesterday is to remove SB Tactical braces from any pistol you may have. The issue is primed for someone to get pinched on an NFA violation.

If you want a brace the thing to buy is a brace with a specific letter stating that it's installation on a pistol does not create a NFA controlled firearm.

You do know those letters are old? I believe 2 years old. They only came to light due to a foia.

You do know those letters are old? I believe 2 years old. They only came to light due to a foia.
I do know that.

It means SBT gas been knowingly selling products not specifically evaluated by the ATF. SBT has reportedly submitted each of their designs and ATF refuses to evaluate them. That stalemate has created a situation where there's likely millions of SBT braces in use that might easily be determined to be NFA violations.

Archived