Illinois General Assembly 1/3/2013

mauserme

Any confirmations on this

SPRINGFIELD — There’s not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

In a setback for gun-control advocates in the wake of the killings of school children in Connecticut, the Illinois Senate was poised to adjourn Thursday without voting on two pieces of legislation aimed at limiting access to certain kinds of weapons and bullets.

Although the two proposals could emerge again when the legislature reconvenes next week, the lack of action shows the General Assembly remains divided on how to balance Second Amendment issues.

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/democrats-pull-plug-on-gun-ammo-bans/article_32f17fc4-55db-11e2-a7a7-001a4bcf887a.html

Any confirmations on this

SPRINGFIELD — There’s not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

In a setback for gun-control advocates in the wake of the killings of school children in Connecticut, the Illinois Senate was poised to adjourn Thursday without voting on two pieces of legislation aimed at limiting access to certain kinds of weapons and bullets.

Although the two proposals could emerge again when the legislature reconvenes next week, the lack of action shows the General Assembly remains divided on how to balance Second Amendment issues.

http://qctimes.com/n...1a4bcf887a.html

omg "Balance", they're kidding, right?

Witness filed. and called and called and called.

If feel like I'm in the ER and waiting to see if my loved one is alive or not. This wait sucks but they picked a lame duck session to attempt this. I wonder if their backstabbing way of trying a gun band by suspending all normal discussion, committees and the like will open anyones eyes as to this could be one of their rights that they actually care about.

God givith and man takith away.

ps lets not forget they can try to resubmit this under another name/person until the next State Congress sits next Weds and it could pass just as quick.

http://blogs.suntime...y_marriage.html

Looks like they are still short on votes and may not vote on this today????

Todd posted a similar statement from Capitolfax. I took it to mean that they are worried about both bills and maybe willing to work harder on marriage than banning guns. Other see it as a trade - one bill up/one bill down.

Time will tell.

Posted from other thread

"According to Senator Dave Syverson:

Thank you everyone for making your calls on the gun ban legislation. With your help it looks like the Bill will NOT be called today which means cannot come up again until Spring session starting in February. "

Also quad city times

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/democrats-pull-plug-on-gun-ammo-bans/article_32f17fc4-55db-11e2-a7a7-001a4bcf887a.html

I hadn't noticed this until now (from MollyB's source)

No Republicans are for the gun measures, the gun-rights sources said.

But state Sen. Dan Kotowski (D-Park Ridge), chief Senate sponsor of the ammunition bill, told the Chicago Sun-Times that Schoenberg's absence, as well as the absence of state Sen. James Meeks (D-Chicago), left him short of the support he needed to pass the ammunition bill on the Senate floor.

Posted from other thread

"According to Senator Dave Syverson:

Thank you everyone for making your calls on the gun ban legislation. With your help it looks like the Bill will NOT be called today which means cannot come up again until Spring session starting in February. "

Also quad city times

http://qctimes.com/n...1a4bcf887a.html

Hmm, he did say LOOKS LIKE. Those aren't words I'd hang my hat on. I'll relax but stay vigilant. We need a text message tree system!

I hadn't noticed this until now (from MollyB's source)

No Republicans are for the gun measures, the gun-rights sources said.

But state Sen. Dan Kotowski (D-Park Ridge), chief Senate sponsor of the ammunition bill, told the Chicago Sun-Times that Schoenberg's absence, as well as the absence of state Sen. James Meeks (D-Chicago), left him short of the support he needed to pass the ammunition bill on the Senate floor.

Looks like those two knew when to take a "sick day". Hahaha

SO, are there any of these votes that can be swayed by popular opinion in their districts? Any chance at all?

It sure doesn't sound like constituents are the concern of the Senate. Listening now, it truly sounds like they're more interested in how they dress and voting with each other along party lines rather than considering public opinion. This is truly and sadly sickening. I am appalled.

Limited access today, but here for a second. Do not rest until they go home!! Looks like they will stay late tonight and cancel tomorrow's session. That could mean a late night vote. We won't be out of the woods 'till the 97th is adjourned sine die!!!

Words of wisdom right there.

Even if they don't get their amendments out of committee today, they have 2 already amended bills at third reading waiting to be called.

Stupid question, what is a witness slip? I read several post where it was suggested it be filled out, but I don't know what it is. I see the link to it and going to try to read up on it on that site.

Its an opportunity to put your opposition to the bills on the record. Not quite casting a vote against, but similar.

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2012/03/file-a-house-committee-witness-slip-online.html

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2012

FILE A HOUSE COMMITTEE WITNESS SLIP ONLINE

SPRINGFIELD - This spring, the Illinois House launched a new venue for citizens to participate in the legislative process by filing witness slips online. During committee hearings is the only time public opinion is openly incorporated into the Illinois House's decision-making. At that time, public testimony on a particular piece of legislation is allowed. During the hearing on legislation, the committee chairman commonly reads the list of witnesses that have filed slips for or against the proposal.

The Illinois House's new public interaction via the internet allows citizens over age 13 to file witness slips online and provides a way for virtual participation in the House proceedings. The forms are considered official state documentation and information included should be verifiable.

The Illinois House's online witness slip entree is at

http://witnessslips.ilga.gov. Select the committee where a particular bill is assigned, and find the bill on the committee's schedule. Fill out and then submit the form provided for the particular bill online.

Archived