• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:10 AM

full story at link...

https://www.washingt...bbb9_story.html

..."One of the countrys leading gun-control groups is changing its name Tuesday from Americans for Responsible Solutions to Giffords, the name of the former Arizona congresswoman who was shot in the head in 2011 and founded the group two years later after 20 Connecticut first-graders were killed.

Gun-control advocates say the name change is part of a larger effort to reframe the gun debate in the wake of the recent Las Vegas mass shooting. By focusing on former Democratic congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords as a symbol of courage, they are hoping to draw in more people to fight for stronger firearms laws.

It will be a long, hard haul, but Im optimistic, Giffords said in an interview with her husband, Mark Kelly, from their home in Tucson.

It is about the courage of single individuals, but also the courage of members of Congress and state legislators to stand up to the gun lobby and focus on this like they never have before, said Kelly, a former astronaut and co-founder of the group. If we dont have the courage to talk about this . . . were going to have another Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, another shooting like we saw in Vegas.

Kelly and Giffords, both gun owners, are releasing a video Tuesday that they made with former president Barack Obama, Sen. Patrick J. Toomey (R-Pa.) and retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal, a former U.S. Army general who commanded the Joint Special Operations Command for five years."...
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#2 lockman

• Members
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

These groups change their skins more often than a snake. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#3 transplant

• Members
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

1) it's a sign they haven't yet gotten the attention they would prefer to have, and this is an attempt to grab some attention; and
2) it's a way to distance themselves / their brand from their recent legislative failures

Hillary Clinton is an "Original Classification Authority" - she knows exactly what she did with her emails.

(4) the original classification authority determines that the unauthorized disclosure of the information reasonably could be expected to result in damage to the national security, which includes defense against transnational terrorism, and the original classification authority is able to identify or describe the damage.

Sec. 1.2. Classification Levels.

(a) Information may be classified at one of the following three levels:

(1) “Top Secret” shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

(2) “Secret” shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause serious damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

(3) “Confidential” shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

(tt) “Violation” means:

(1) any knowing, willful, or negligent action that could reasonably be expected to result in an unauthorized disclosure of classified information;

http://www.thegatewa...on-home-server/

#4 OldMarineVet

• 2,085 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

1) it's a sign they haven't yet gotten the attention they would prefer to have, and this is an attempt to grab some attention; and
2) it's a way to distance themselves / their brand from their recent legislative failures

Yes, it seems desperate (like the Brady reorganization)

#5 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,195 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

Membership should start multiplying now

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#6 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (LCPGV) previously known as LCAV - Legal Community Against Violence, has changed its name to The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, and it also merged with the Giffords organization.

When these organizations are strongly associated with a single personality, it just doesn't end well for them.  The Brady-whatever its called now, certainly lost steam.  Without Sarah Brady actually out there in front of the microphone and making press releases and statements and everything, the organization is crumbling.  This Giffords thing will be even worse because they're just hitching their group to a name.  Even though I think Sarah Brady was misguided, I have to admit she was a force for gun control.  She brought a lot of energy to the gun control movement and she worked tirelessly for gun control.  Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly aren't in the same class that Sarah Brady was and the "Gifford" groups will end up re branding itself just like LCAV/LCPGV/PAX/CPYV/NCCH/HCI/NCBH/CSGV.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#7 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,209 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

I think it's a smart move on their part, and I'm a bit afraid of how effective they may become. What with the adoration heaped upon congress by the masses, this is sure to stir even the most hardened soul into opening their wallets and inundating "Giffords" with support. I can hear the chanting in the streets already, "Justice for congress! Justice for our lawmakers!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 lockman

• Members
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

Membership should start multiplying now

I am on the membership list. Don't know why but I figure I will just leave it that way.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#9 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,379 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

The ARS Facebook page is down, or gone.

I wonder if Kelly and Giffords aren't able to use the ARS name anymore.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#10 markthesignguy

S39-(D)D.Harmon(F-) R77-(D)K.Willis(F-)

• 2,411 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

wonder if ARS lost a lawsuit and this is an attempt to duck out on the $$

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign......

#11 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,379 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

wonder if ARS lost a lawsuit and this is an attempt to duck out on the $$

Imagine if that happens now.  "Giffords just cost me $500,000 on a frivolous law suit".

I wouldn't want my name tossed around like that.  But I would't give people such horrible advice, either.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#12 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,900 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

I think the old name got read phonetically as Eh Arrs by too many dimwits confusing Eh Arr 15s.....
Would serve them right to sit on the domain names they previously occupied and scoop them up for gun rights use.

#13 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

I wonder if it's in the same vein as people who started using the term "gun safety" instead of "gun control" because the latter has become far too toxic.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users