ABC News: NRA Targets Bump Fire Stocks

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 mikew

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

NRA: Bump stocks 'should be subject to additional regulations'

The National Rifle Association is calling for a federal review of bump stocks, a weapon modifier that allows semi-automatic weapons to fire faster.

The NRA, in its first statement since the Oct. 1 shooting in Las Vegas, said that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives should "immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law."

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations," the statement reads.

The full statement, issued jointly by NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre and the head of its legislative arm Chris Cox, opens by addressing "the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas."

more at link

http://abcnews.go.co...al regulations'

#2 mikew

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement

NRA's Statement

(FAIRFAX, VA) - The National Rifle Association today issued the following statement:

"In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented.  Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control.  Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks.  This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world.  In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.  The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.  In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities.  To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

nrashield_0000_shield-alone-gray.png?wid

#3 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Slide Fire is about to take one for the team.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#4 Ashdump

• 4,692 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

That didnt take long. As in all other compromises, they'll get these bump stocks and we'll get nothing. Ryan don't want reciprocity anyway sans this latest act of lunacy.

#5 chislinger

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Yep.

I can live with that, it's not like I have any use for it anyway as no range I have access to would allow it. And besides that you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR or any other semi-auto. And if you want to bump fire from your shoulder you could probably make a sufficiently spongy shoulder pad that would do the trick nicely.
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#6 chislinger

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

That didnt take long. As in all other compromises, they'll get these bump stocks and we'll get nothing. Ryan don't want reciprocity anyway sans this latest act of lunacy.

Yeah, the GOP should insist on something in return but Ryan has no stomach for dealing.
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#7 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

My Hoosier brother has a buddy with two submachine guns - a S&W M76 and an old Thompson - he lets us shoot them now and then at my bro's backyard range - and that pretty much takes care of any full-auto jonesing I may suffer - lol

Filling any further urges can be easily (and expensively) accomplished by anyone willing to take a nice 2 hr drive out to Elklhart, IN for a visit to:

http://www.midwestgu...gun-rentals.cfm

I am not ashamed to admit that full auto is almost as much fun as a fully clothed person can have. Impractical as all get out and a waste of good ammo.....but a hoot to shoot.

Edited by RandyP, 05 October 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#8 Ashdump

• 4,692 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yep.I can live with that, it's not like I have any use for it anyway as no range I have access to would allow it. And besides that you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR or any other semi-auto. And if you want to bump fire from your shoulder you could probably make a sufficiently spongy shoulder pad that would do the trick nicely.

The problem is, we don't need the government telling us what we need and don't need. While I probably would never buy one, it's my business to determine if I want one or not, not the government's. This bone the NRA is throwing the lefties won't satisfy them. We'll give into it and then they will be wanting something else and so on and so forth.

#9 JTHunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Before the Clinton AWB went into effect, I got an AK, along with some 40 rd. magazines.  Several months later, I got a chance to do some shooting on a friend's farm.  I shot one of those 40 rd. "bananas" as fast as I could and got the 40 out in about 15 seconds, but I have to warn you - that barrel was HOT !! :frantics:

Also, my finger was sore from moving it so quickly and I only got about half of the shots on the target we had set up at 100 ft. even though I had the gun tucked in tightly to my shoulder trying to be as accurate as possible during that fast fire. :no:

Fun - yes,  but awfully expensive on the ammo.  :devil:

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#10 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

Yep.I can live with that, it's not like I have any use for it anyway as no range I have access to would allow it. And besides that you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR or any other semi-auto. And if you want to bump fire from your shoulder you could probably make a sufficiently spongy shoulder pad that would do the trick nicely.

The problem is, we don't need the government telling us what we need and don't need. While I probably would never buy one, it's my business to determine if I want one or not, not the government's. This bone the NRA is throwing the lefties won't satisfy them. We'll give into it and then they will be wanting something else and so on and so forth.

That's nothing new.  The only thing to satisfy them is total confiscation.  

It really is too bad that Paul Ryan isn't as conservative as he claims when it comes to the 2A.  Drain the swamp.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#11 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Stop supporting the NRA until they change their mind. You should see how badly they're getting hammered on social media, as they rightfully should be. We do not compromise anymore, they should know this.

At least the GOA has the guts to oppose this, and I suspect it'll ultimately go nowhere anyway.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#12 Ashdump

• 4,692 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

Yep. I expect nothing from Ryan. I am disappointed in NRA though for getting behind this bump stock thing. We all know that banning it will be a useless attempt at stopping nut cases from mass killings.

#13 transplant

• Members
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

What the hey!!! is this garbage. The killer would have passed an NFA background check so treating bump stocks like SBRs and silencers wouldn't have stopped him. Only a total ban would have.

Is the NRA supporting a total ban?

If they are time to pay more attention in the next board elections.

Hillary Clinton is an "Original Classification Authority" - she knows exactly what she did with her emails.

(4) the original classification authority determines that the unauthorized disclosure of the information reasonably could be expected to result in damage to the national security, which includes defense against transnational terrorism, and the original classification authority is able to identify or describe the damage.

Sec. 1.2. Classification Levels.

(a) Information may be classified at one of the following three levels:

(1) “Top Secret” shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

(2) “Secret” shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause serious damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

(3) “Confidential” shall be applied to information, the unauthorized disclosure of which reasonably could be expected to cause damage to the national security that the original classification authority is able to identify or describe.

(tt) “Violation” means:

(1) any knowing, willful, or negligent action that could reasonably be expected to result in an unauthorized disclosure of classified information;

http://www.thegatewa...on-home-server/

#14 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,291 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Being discussed here too.

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=66798
NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry
Pershing Nuclear Missile 56th Field Artillery Brigade Veteran
1/41 Field Artillary Germany

#15 OldMarineVet

• 2,080 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

deleted

Edited by OldMarineVet, 06 October 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#16 OldMarineVet

• 2,080 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

deleted

Edited by OldMarineVet, 05 October 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#17 soylentgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

I don't believe banning bump fire devices infringes my second amendment rights. However, that doesn't mean I support banning them. I don't feel strongly about not banning them either. I think we should get something in return for our support to ban them.

That being said...everyone here on this board knows that you can bump fire a semi-auto rifle without any device. I've done it. You've done it. There are hundreds of videos on YouTube of guys doing it.

The thing I think is scary is that people actually think banning these devices will save lives. Well, fine. Go ahead and ban them. I'll see you all for the next set of intense discussions the next time some loon goes crazy and kills a bunch of people. We all know that's going to happen and banning bump fire stocks won't stop it. It's a feel-good measure only. Yay.

#18 HeavyDuty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

I’ve always thought bump fire devices were the shooting equivalent of SNL’s Bag O' Glass. They are inaccurate and unreliable. The shooting I’ve seen done by others with them first hand had me wishing for full Kevlar and a cabbage patch helmet.

I would be perfectly fine with them classifying them as AOWs.

#19 OldMarineVet

• 2,080 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

deleted

Edited by OldMarineVet, 05 October 2017 - 03:55 PM.

#20 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,204 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

We will get more gun control from the NRA and a completely controlled by republicans government than any democrats could ever deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,883 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

I understand the don't negotiate and don't give an inch strategy, but in this case the people who need to be satisfied are not the politicians. It's the general public. And it's become politically very important to give them the sacrifice they demand so that we can go on business as usual once the dog and pony show is over. The republicans need to address this (particularly since they can't seem to do anything else they said they would do) because if it's not addressed it will become a huge issue in 2018...campaigning is already beginning. The republicans need to be ale to say they addressed this quickly and turn the narrative to their favor. 

I'm pretty sure NRA and politicians were talking about this before any announcements were made, and the fact is something has to go. 

Edited by TRJ, 05 October 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#22 quackersmacker

• 1,381 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

I understand the don't negotiate and don't give an inch strategy, but in this case the people who need to be satisfied are not the politicians. It's the general public. And it's become politically very important to give them the sacrifice they demand so that we can go on business as usual once the dog and pony show is over. The republicans need to address this (particularly since they can't seem to do anything else they said they would do) because if it's not addressed it will become a huge issue in 2018...campaigning is already beginning. The republicans need to be ale to say they addressed this quickly and turn the narrative to their favor. 

I'm pretty sure NRA and politicians were talking about this before any announcements were made, and the fact is something has to go. 

Very well said!

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#23 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

What happens when the general public demands guns be banned?

#24 snooter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Why the outrage..oh thats right many were consumed with lincon logs in 94 when the nra sold us out then..

#25 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

They are going for 1,000 bucks+ on Armslist.... :ermm:

#26 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

We will get more gun control from the NRA and a completely controlled by republicans government than any democrats could ever deliver.

Because optics matter ....

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#27 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

But here's the huge, huge downside: the more we give them, the more power they gain back. They've lost a lot, they're shaky, so don't give them a leg up, push them over.

Because if they feel empowered again, they'll rapidly ratchet things up big time. We need them to waste their political capital on something useless like this.

We don't win by placating the gun control movement and a bunch of ignorant asswipe voters.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#28 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 13,044 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'm ok with trading bump fire for national reciprocity. The chances of NR was much better before this knucklehead snapped. I can see the NRA's strategy. NRA is about firearm safety. Staying on target is safer than not knowing where half of your rounds went. National Reciprocity is about safety. One thing I learned here is sausage making means compromise. Don't give anything away without getting something back. That's just my opinion speaking for myself, so no flames please.

Have all boated who fish?

#29 agalloch07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

I don't own a bump stock and i always thought they were stupid. But this is a slippery slope I think i will go make a few homemade bump stocks just because FU!

https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=PVfwFP_RwTQ

#30 Bird76Mojo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself Ash.

Constitutional Carry - Proponent
Open Carry - Proponent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users