truglow night sights for carry gun?

RoyB

My buddy recently picked up some Trueglo Brightsites for his Shield: https://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Brite-Site-Tritium-Handgun-Sight/dp/B003458G0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516373542&sr=8-1&keywords=tg23&th=1&psc=1

He showed them to me and I was convinced I needed some for mine. I went online, searched for the shield and ordered the "TFX" ones because I did not know which ones he had: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R81VL7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They came in and they don't seem as bright as I remember his being. My other concern is with the open design having them get packed with lint since it's a carry piece. They also make a TFO: https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-TFO-Handgun-Sight-Set/dp/B0033XZT0M/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1516374291&sr=1-6&keywords=truglo+tfowhich looks like the TFX minus the white circle.

Does anyone have any comments on these things? If I didn't like them I Was going to throw them on my 22 Compact, but apparently these don't fit that model, just the regular 22. Should I swap them for the closed design?

Tritium has a shelf life that dims over time. It's very possible that the ones you ordered could be really old.

FWIW my trijicon ones are really bright and they look to be a similar design.

I wonder if part of it is the length of the tritium vile. Smaller vile means less glow and less tritium, so probably a shorter lifespan.

You probably knew this already, but tritium isn't like uv absorbing glow products (charged under daylight), it's a radioactive isotope that produces its own light. So it burns out over time.

I had Truglo TFOs on one of my M&Ps.In bright light the fiber optics really picked up the light.In darkness the tritium didn't seem to glow too bright through the fiber optics.In regular room light the fiber optics didn't pick up enough light and the tritium didn't help at all.To me in any medium light conditions I might as well have had plain black posts for sights.I switched over to Trijicon Bright and Tough night sights.Much happier with the white dots with tritium inserts.I'm sure others have different opinions, but that worked for me.

Now that I am looking at the packaging, I think that's the difference. On these TFO/TFX, the Tritium is located behind the fiber-optic...so you don't see the glow directly. You are seeing the glow that is picked up by the Fiber Optic. These sites look great in direct light, but dim light they don't seem that bright and the white dots on factory sights appear easier to see. These look to be awesome for outdoor use, but since it's a carry gun I don't think it's the right application.

All my carry Glocks have TFO sights installed. I prefer the yellow rear with the green front for the contrast instead of just 3 green dots in a row. Also, the yellow will never glow as bright as the green and TruGlo is open about this. I've had a pair installed for about 5 years now and they are still glowing bright. My guess is you got some older sights.

So I ordered the Bright-Site model and they came in today.

Bright-Site on the left, TFX on the right.

It's hard to make it out in the picture, but the Bright-Site ones are quite a bit brighter than the TFX ones in complete darkness. In light, the Bright-Site are white, whereas the TFX has the green fiber so they are green.

39810666252_f569df4e44_b.jpg

39133075944_fa4764d1ea_b.jpg

I think the TFX would be ideal for outdoor shooting for possibly range shooting where there is good light directly above the fiber bars so they glow green in day light. In dim conditions the Bright-Site sights are easier to see and in dark scenarios, the Bright-Site are a lot brighter.

So I ordered the TFO model and they came in today.

TFO on the left, TFX on the right.

It's hard to make it out in the picture, but the TFO ones are quite a bit brighter than the TFX ones in complete darkness. In light, the TFO are white, whereas the TFX has the green fiber so they are green.

I think the TFX would be ideal for outdoor shooting for possibly range shooting where there is good light directly above the fiber bars so they glow green in day light. In dim conditions the TFO sights are easier to see and in dark scenarios, the TFO are a lot brighter.

Are the sights on the left TFOs or tritium night sights?The TFOs I had are basically the TFX sights on the right without the front white outline.

So I ordered the TFO model and they came in today.

TFO on the left, TFX on the right.

It's hard to make it out in the picture, but the TFO ones are quite a bit brighter than the TFX ones in complete darkness. In light, the TFO are white, whereas the TFX has the green fiber so they are green.

I think the TFX would be ideal for outdoor shooting for possibly range shooting where there is good light directly above the fiber bars so they glow green in day light. In dim conditions the TFO sights are easier to see and in dark scenarios, the TFO are a lot brighter.

Are the sights on the left TFOs or tritium night sights?The TFOs I had are basically the TFX sights on the right without the front white outline.

You are right. They are NOT the TFO, but the Bright-Site (first link in first post). Sorry for the confusion, will edit my post. I think between the TFX and TFO, I rather have the TFO and not have the white circle as it's a little too much contrast in day time. White circle, green dot and green rear dots. Biggest issue was for a carry gun where most of the use is in dim or no light, I think the Bright-site is a better option. They also don't have the opening on top for all your lint to get stuck in.

Either way, I had them put on yesterday and very happy so far.

Archived