SCAR OR AR-15

jkrzos

Howdy,

I have to ask, what would you purchase an AR-15 or a Scar? Outside of the manufacturing capabilities of each, would a SCAR have any advantage over an AR(high end, like Armalite or Rock River)? Scar's have some differences from a AR. In a TEOTWAWKI situation, which would be better? I know the amount of aftermarket stuff for AR's are plentiful. I want something that should I need to defend a position, I want reliabily and firepower to be successful. SCAR's are more expensive, but are they worth it? Can I do the same thing with a AR? I need some advice from a rifleman. I have FNP9's and they are much better than Glocks. I like the fact you can carry them cocked & locked, they have a decocker feature as well as a slide lock, unlike the Glocks. Thanks in advance for any info given. Looking for advice from Todd, because of AR experience. Anyone with other thoughts?

John Krzos

I like my AR. It is reliable, robust and accurate. It is easy for me to disassemble and customize. The sheer number of aftermarket parts makes it fun and easy to setup for any situation. I can with this particular rifle start a 8" steel swinging and keep it swinging as long as I have ammo in the magazine at 100 yards using a sling only in prone. Recoil is low thanks to the addition of a Battle Comp and swapping calibers is as easy as swapping the upper.

post-1531-129422091642.jpg

I have also shot the SCAR lite. (Thanks Kenny!) I found it to be lightweight thanks to its thin barrel and very accurate with irons, I think in part to the pointed front sight. It was easy to shoot and point. I did have problems clearing a jam, mostly because of my being unfamiliar with the rifle. That bolt does tend to jam hard and I was unwilling to "pogo stick" the bolt as it was not my rifle. Jam was eventually cleared and cleaning the rifle seemed to help later. Aftermarket is slowly catching up with this rifle, but is nowhere near where the AR aftermarket is currently.

Kenny's SCAR

post-1531-129422177663.jpg

I am also on the AR bandwagon. What I like about the AR, to quote Aaron Roberts, is "having your rifle, your way."

My first AR was a home build from the ground up. I started with a Doublestar stripped lower from Bud's, a Stag LPK & charging handle, Magpul CTR stock (foliage green), flat top BCM mid-lenght 5.56, upper, LMT s/a BCG, Cav Arms hand guard (foliage green), and a couple foliage green Pmags. With all the online instructions and youtube video's, assembly was done on my kitchen table in a couple hours.

However, the SCAR looks pretty cool and you'd probably be the first one on your bock to have one.

As far as TEOTWAWKI/zombie apocalypse , I've got a 10/22 with a a couple thousand rounds.

Have both the AR to sit there & look cool & if you need it you have lots of parts available. Have the SCAR to shoot & show off it is one of the coolest guns I own. When I go to the range I take my Barrett m107 and my SCAR 16 & I am happy. Next time I go i will have to take another gun, my SCAR 17!! I loved the 5.56 so much I had to get the 7.62 version. I love the SCAR and when the military quits buying them all up & there are more on the civilian market you will see the plethora of parts for this gun too. If you want to see & handle a SCAR before you buy one call me & cmon over. I have some super sweet AR's for sale too. You can compare them side by side. If it is a decent day we can go shoot them. The SCAR seems to have much less recoil than a 16" AR it shoots like a 22 mag and I am not exaggerating.

If you find a bare AR expect yourself to wind up paying what you would have for the SCAR, in furniture. Options seem to be endless...

Yes, that is a possibility. But in my experience, many of the add-ons and doo-dads are wholly unnecessary. I suspect, but am not sure, that many of the expensive add-ons are done for the "cool factor", or the "name-brand" factor. Some of the best shooters I know ... the ones who could really handle the rifle in a serious way ... have rock-solid but relatively plain-Jane versions. Conversely, many of those I know who have high-end, tricked-out rifles with all the doo-dads can't shoot them worth a damn.

To me, all you really need is a solid platform you like, furniture that is comfortable and functional, good iron sights, and a good optic of your choice. I might add having a good, detachable light-source too. Many of the the high-end extras like fancy flash suppressors, railed-out handguards, super-duper ergonomic pistol grips, monolithic rails, way expensive furniture, etc. are unnecessary.

If you want a rifle to impress your wealthy friends, then go there. If you want a rifle to shoot well and defend yourself with, forego all the expensive stuff and make up the difference in ammo, mags, and range time. Did I mention range time?

I think the scar16 is overpriced as is all of fn's stuff, and I have an fs2000,, a ps90, a fiveseven pistol, and an fnp 9 and fnp .45. I think the scar 16 is more overpriced than any though. You can put together 2 very good ar15's and have a lot of money left over for ammunition for the price of a scar16.

I'd take an fs2000 that I could find for 1600 over a scar16 for over 2 grand.

Parts are not readily available for any fn products.

The price on the scar16 and the scar17 isn't that much different. If I wanted a scar I'd get a scar17, and I will get one in fde this year as soon as things cool down with them some and they're more available.

ACR is 1:9 twist, scar is 1:7. ACR is a little cheaper but I believe the scar 16 is the superior rifle from all the research I've done on the two, haven't shot either. I did the research because I wanted a scar16 at one time. Then I'd get a deal on an ar. Then another. Then I'd trade for another. Then I was offered a heck of a trade for a sig556 so I had a piston ar, so I quit looking at the scar 16. Sig 556 can be had for below a grand now.

If I was in your place I'd get a spikes tactical midlength for way under a grand.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding my two cents,

As stated previously: Skip the Scar, also skip the AR. Go for the ACR. Consider it a revolution or an evolution... (whichever you prefer)

I'd think this to be a bad choice, close to 2 grand for a 1:9 twist piston ar. I'd rather have a sig than an acr, and I do have a sig.

I would agree if the user wanted more of a bench type rifle & use 75gr+ match grade ammo. IMHO the 1:9 bbl is more than fine with 62gr on down..

Bushmaster/Remington will offer 1:7 bbls in the near future~

Quick-Change Barrel

The standard barrel length for both the Basic and Enhanced models is 16 1/2 inches. Remington representatives told me that their internal testing determined the barrel’s ideal thickness and stepped profile for maximum longevity. The 10 1/2- and 14 1/2-inch-barreled guns will be available to law enforcement customers and Bushmaster will offer 18-inch-heavy barreled guns as Designated Marksman-style rifles. Most of the shooters I know who are eager to buy an ACR will likely want to shoot it with 75- and 77-grain loads, so the 1:9-inch rifling twist of our test gun seems to be an odd choice. Bushmaster told me that 1:9 inches was the most popular choice among its distributors, but I was assured that guns with 1:7-inch barrels will be available, and separate 1:7-inch barrels will be available through a spare barrel program. Also 6.8x43 mm barrels with Spec. II chambers will be introduced in the same lengths. All ACR barrels in both chamberings are cold-hammer forged with six grooves in a right-hand twist.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/bushmaster-acr-review/

Two big sell points for me (compared to the SCAR16) is the BBL and/or caliber interchangeability without the use of tools and the non-reciprocating charging handle.

Archived