Gun World opening up soon in lombard!

gravyboy77

The lack of comments by anyone in the know along with the time going by is telling me this deal may be falling through??? sleep.png sleep.png sleep.png

http://www.gunworldrange.com/

5/13 Update:

We are happy to report that after several false starts and delays that construction has begun on the range infrastructure.

The steel beams necessary for the range baffles and sidewalls are currently being put in place.

The demolition of the interior dock walls will follow with new steel I-beams put in place to support the roof.

It's too soon to give you a completion date but we will post updates more frequently now that the work has started.

• 2 months later...

From their website:

7/19 Update:

The front steel sections for Ranges 1, 2 & 3 are up; we're holding off the section for Range 4 to facilitate moving in items from storage.

The tracks and studding for the drywall sections of the front wall were started today.

The locker room walls are finished; still waiting on the baffles to show up and start getting installed.

We're getting closer!!

Barry & Tony

For further information, feel free to contact by e-mail:

Barry: sosksports@aol.com

Tony: gwbushmasters@yahoo.com

RandyP too quick for me!!!

"7/19 Update:

The front steel sections for Ranges 1, 2 & 3 are up; we're holding off the section for Range 4 to facilitate moving in items from storage.

The tracks and studding for the drywall sections of the front wall were started today.

The locker room walls are finished; still waiting on the baffles to show up and start getting installed.

We're getting closer!!

Barry & Tony "

It so happens my partner and I had an opportunity to briefly visit the site and meet with Barry.

He was in full-work mode and so were the eight or nine other guys there. Significant progress on the range has been made (there's a lot of new steel up above the ceiling level) but the front end still has plenty of sorting and rearranging to do.

What we could tell you is that we walked out of there very, very impressed by the facility as it will be when it's done. A great deal of thought and solid planning has gone into it, and in my partner's way of putting it, it's clearly been planned by enthusiasts who understand the shooting sports.

Our interest is in the training portion of the facility and it would be fair to say both the physical plant and business plan are about as favorable to that sort of thing as could be.

We're anxiously looking forward to opening day. I halfway wanted to go back out to the van and get some tools to pitch in.

• 3 weeks later...
8/08 Update:

Front wall for Range 4 has been started and we continue to sort and store. The range contractor is starting the baffles on Monday. Complete range installations should be done in 3 to 4 weeks.

All the lockers have been moved in, so if you need access to your locker, give us a call.

Added some info regarding instruction/lessons on the FAQ page.

Barry & Tony

:headbang1:

• 2 weeks later...
8/18 Update:

The front wall of Range 4 has been completed. The first phase of the baffles has been completed for all 4 ranges and we are awaiting the next crew to do the faces of the baffles and target carriers and booths.

We ran into a glitch regarding some electrical work permit issues which should be resolved this week. There is a permit for the building but it seems they want the range electrical and the rest of the area to be on separate permits.

We're getting a lot of work done in the retail area and continue to sort and stage merchandise as we build shelving and display walls.

Still going to be a while, but we are getting closer !!

I stopped by to visit them a few weeks ago, it was interesting to see how much work goes into taking an empty warehouse and transforming it into what may be the best place to shoot in the area!

8/18 Update:

The front wall of Range 4 has been completed. The first phase of the baffles has been completed for all 4 ranges and we are awaiting the next crew to do the faces of the baffles and target carriers and booths.

We ran into a glitch regarding some electrical work permit issues which should be resolved this week. There is a permit for the building but it seems they want the range electrical and the rest of the area to be on separate permits.

We're getting a lot of work done in the retail area and continue to sort and stage merchandise as we build shelving and display walls.

Still going to be a while, but we are getting closer !!

I stopped by to visit them a few weeks ago, it was interesting to see how much work goes into taking an empty warehouse and transforming it into what may be the best place to shoot in the area!

Its extra gratifying to know that Tricky Dick Daley/Chicago has to foot the bill for building the new range. I will think of him every time i pop off a round in the new range!Drunk%20emoticon.gif

• 1 month later...
9/27 Update:

Well, there's some good news for a change. Permit was issued and work can begin on Wednesday for the Range Lobby HVAC units.

Hoping for news on the electrical work this week.

Final "Wall of Honor" Donors List:

Scott & Cynthia Brown, Bensenville

The Daniels Family, Elmhurst

(they donated the Navy Flag in honor of their sons Jack and Mark, both on active duty

Bill & Mike Sills, Villa Park

Paul King, Lombard

Bill and Barb Baur, Villa Park

( Marine Corp flag)

Keith and Jayme Gerue

( Air Force flag)

Roman Palmer

Stan & Jamie Evans

Jerry & Myrna Soskin

Bushmasters Tactical Team

We sincerely appreciate your help in acknowledging the service of our men and women in uniform.

Barry & Tony

• 4 weeks later...

10/19 Update:

We have permits !!

Permits were picked up today. Electrical work in the lobby area will start tomorrow. As soon as this is completed and passed, we can install the dry wall. Then it's priming and painting and carpet installation.

Gonna be busy the next couple of weeks.....finally !!

Barry & Tony

Latest update

10/26 Update:

Work in Progress:

Electrical crews are working on the range HVAC and the lobby lights and outlets.

The carpenter has finished the studding for the classroom interior wall and will begin dry wall installation as soon as we get an inspection in the next day or two.

Entry wall has been painted and new trim installed.

Priming of the range walls has begun and should be finished this week and finish coat will start.

The fire alarm & security installation should be competed this week.

Target carrier installation will start this week.

Things are moving along!!

Barry & Tony

• 2 weeks later...
11/3 Update:

Got approvals on electrical and structural work on Monday.

Electricians are now pulling the wires in all the conduit and drywall going up on the main lobby wall.

Fire alarm work it about 90% complete.

Making good progress finally !!

Barry & Tony

Yay!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update

11/24 Status Report:

Carpeting was installed in the range lobby area over the last two days. All we have left to do is to finish the trim and paint the newly installed fire doors on four storage rooms.

Edison connected all the new power lines necessary for the HVAC units; the new units in the range lobby are up and running which makes working out there much more comfortable!

We are awaiting delivery of the bullet proof glass for the range windows and not surprising that is behind schedule but hopefully it will be here next week.

We've passed the last seven inspections and have two scheduled for next Tuesday for range lobby HVAC and electrical.

At this point, further progress will depend on the range contractor and how fast he can complete his obligations.

We had hoped for a possible Dec. 1 completion date but most likely it will be at least a week later and then final Lombard inspections.

We're tryin' !!

Barry & Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd chip in another update.

My business partner and I were in Friday to check on things and consult with Barry and Tony about our proposed classes (well-received, I might immodestly add) and they were soliciting help for setting the bullet-resistant glass in the range viewing windows on Saturday.

My partner cheerfully volunteered me to pitch in, since she was working her day job then, but I didn't mind.

The glass panels are 61 by 33 inches, 1 3/4" thick and weigh 285 pounds apiece. Kind of hefty.

I was able to help with the carpentry prep in the morning (it is my trade, after all) and then with a solid ten or more guys on hand, we uncrated the slabs, hoisted them onto a material cart one by one, and then set them into the prepared openings, all in less than an hour and a half. It went very well, indeed.

Meanwhile, the steelworkers were assembling the traps and there were other forward-progress things going on, too.

I won't hazard a guess as to the actual starting date but it is drawing near.

For those who haven't seen the place, it's going to be one excellent facility, I can tell you.

Bill

I thought I'd chip in another update.

My business partner and I were in Friday to check on things and consult with Barry and Tony about our proposed classes (well-received, I might immodestly add) and they were soliciting help for setting the bullet-resistant glass in the range viewing windows on Saturday.

My partner cheerfully volunteered me to pitch in, since she was working her day job then, but I didn't mind.

The glass panels are 61 by 33 inches, 1 3/4" thick and weigh 285 pounds apiece. Kind of hefty.

I was able to help with the carpentry prep in the morning (it is my trade, after all) and then with a solid ten or more guys on hand, we uncrated the slabs, hoisted them onto a material cart one by one, and then set them into the prepared openings, all in less than an hour and a half. It went very well, indeed.

Meanwhile, the steelworkers were assembling the traps and there were other forward-progress things going on, too.

I won't hazard a guess as to the actual starting date but it is drawing near.

For those who haven't seen the place, it's going to be one excellent facility, I can tell you.

Bill

Bill, I wish I would have known, Im a Glazier by trade, Im used to dealing with glass that size. I would have been more than willing to lend a hand. :)

Don't worry- it went well and we were fine. The only slowdown was the regular carpenters weren't able to finish the frame prep. Once that was done, it was more just muscle.

Fortunately, there was sufficient of that.

They do like to use their Facebook page to keep folks updated and that sort of thing is posted there.

This thread has 3500 views, far more than most threads on this site. Obviously, lots of interest in this new range near Chicago. I think the owners are going to make a lot of money and I know they'll be getting some of mine. Guns are the new normal and it's great to see this business boot-strapped. I will be bringing 2 anti-gun friends who live in Chicago to this range in January. It will be the first shoot for both of them. Interestingly, I'm not bugging these friends to go, instead they are bugging me to take them shooting. (I'm happy to do so). I like to bring anti-gun friends to shoot, it's fun and helps improve their outlook!

12/18 Status Report:

There are still some delays in getting the necessary materials in to complete the ranges. On the brighter side, it seems the contractor is finally putting more effort into completing this project.

Awaiting a date from Nicor to set up the new gas meter to get the temporary heating working which will help those working in the ranges.

The good news is we were able to do some test firing in Range 1 which although not 100% it was far enough along to do so. A variety of caliber were tested included the Wolf steel cased 7.62X39 with no noticeable effect on the armor plates.

We're getting there and hopefully it won't be too much longer.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued interest and for hanging in with us.

Best wishes to all for a Merry and Happy Holiday Season.

Barry & Tony

Archived