Cook County Sheriff Braces For Layoffs if soda tax is struck down...link

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#181 sdf4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Winkle wont give up on this tax on her own. She doesnt want to be seen as weak no matter how bad this gets.

Edited by sdf4, 20 August 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#182 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

Bloombum's support the tax ad mentions kids and education -- not a thing about the sherrif's forces.  So if the tax is for kids, why are they laying off cops?

This is all retorical.

He doesn't care about kids or education, just more money for cronies.   

Bloomberg is the definition of authoritarian tyrant.  It's all about more "power for the government", since of course "the government knows what's best for you".  None of that silly freedom stuff for citizens to make their own decisions.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#183 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Bloomberg is the definition of authoritarian tyrant.  It's all about more "power for the government", since of course "the government knows what's best for you".  None of that silly freedom stuff for citizens to make their own decisions.

Authoritarian tyrants are corrupt and always have a ton of cronies to enrich to keep them in power.  

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#184 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

AFTER SODA TAX, PRECKWINKLE DOLES OUT PREMIUM PERKS AND BONUSES

https://www.illinois...ks-and-bonuses/

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#185 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Gee, $$$MORE MONEY FOR CRONIES$$$ Not surprised.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#186 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

Its so brazen how they conspire to rob taxpayers.

Mayor Bloomberg himself has recently turned his attention from oversize soft drinks to gun control, confirming the tendency of the Progressive to go from nanny to tyrant.
- N. A. Halkides -

#187 papa

• Members
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

$ Who would have thought it? $  :o

#188 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

I saw a commercial on Dish over the weekend about how the tax is needed to save the children.  Nothing about funding the County Mounties.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#189 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

Of course its for the children

Of course...

- N. A. Halkides -

#190 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Results of Philadelphia Soda Tax:

Philadelphia's soda tax isn't the windfall some had hoped for

https://www.cnbc.com...-hoped-for.html

Philadelphia Soda Tax Leads To 30-50% Plunge In Sales, Mass Layoffs

http://www.zerohedge...es-mass-layoffs

Disaster: Philly's Soda Tax Has Produced Miserable Results

https://townhall.com...esults-n2366836

Philadelphia’s city council had a revolutionary idea. 'Let’s tax the poor to increase revenue' and the soda tax was born

- N. A. Halkides -

#191 Yas

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

Was in Orland park Jewel Lagrange and 131st  yesterday. The stores location is approximate 5 traffic lights away from the Will county border.   5 cashiers staring at each other, place was so quiet there were parking spots right in front of store entrance. Store was a ghost town in the afternoon. 

Asked the Clerk just how bad has the sales been since the tax kicked in.   They admitted its pretty bad.  People are avoiding the store and going across the county border to do all their shopping. 

I wonder if the retailers are crying to the village of Orland Park yet. Tax revenues will be down.  I had heard there might be a grass roots movement to secede Orland to Will county. 

#192 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

Was in Orland park Jewel Lagrange and 131st  yesterday. The stores location is approximate 5 traffic lights away from the Will county border.   5 cashiers staring at each other, place was so quiet there were parking spots right in front of store entrance. Store was a ghost town in the afternoon. 

Asked the Clerk just how bad has the sales been since the tax kicked in.   They admitted its pretty bad.  People are avoiding the store and going across the county border to do all their shopping. 

I wonder if the retailers are crying to the village of Orland Park yet. Tax revenues will be down.  I had heard there might be a grass roots movement to secede Orland to Will county. 

There was it failed, they couldn't even get the majority of Orland people to support it. 

Soda tax probably doesn't matter anymore they could even repeal it out as part of the new real-estate taxes since the Crook country cap was removed yesterday. 

They already said another large tax increase is coming they are borrowing another 1.6 Billion based on expecting larger increase since the cap has been removed. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#193 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

The people who loan money to (or buy bonds issued by) Chicago, Cook County or the State of Illinois based on "Projected Revenue" - are idiots.

- N. A. Halkides -

#194 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

5 cashiers staring at each other, place was so quiet there were parking spots right in front of store entrance. Store was a ghost town in the afternoon. 

Four cashiers that will soon be out of jobs.

People aren't going to buy all of their groceries except for pop, and then hop across the county line just to purchase their beverages...

- N. A. Halkides -

#195 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

There was it failed, they couldn't even get the majority of Orland people to support it. 

Soda tax probably doesn't matter anymore they could even repeal it out as part of the new real-estate taxes since the Crook country cap was removed yesterday. 
They already said another large tax increase is coming they are borrowing another 1.6 Billion based on expecting larger increase since the cap has been removed.

I could be wrong but I think that was the Chicago Property tax, not Cook County's. There was some feeling in debate that some of the suburbs might actually see a reduction (I know, but that's what they said).

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#196 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

I could be wrong but I think that was the Chicago Property tax, not Cook County's. There was some feeling in debate that some of the suburbs might actually see a reduction (I know, but that's what they said).

All (Cook county) went up but higher in Chicago.  A lot of what I'm reading now is cook county people talking about how they didn't raise it as much as they could have but there is going to be another increase.   Also I believe the cap exclusion is again for the county not the city.   So maybe they again won't raise it as high as they could for all cook county but it seems like another increase is in the plans regardless.  

NRA Benefactor Member

etc etc etc

#197 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,296 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

The people who loan money to (or buy bonds issued by) Chicago, Cook County or the State of Illinois based on "Projected Revenue" - are idiots.

They know it's a load of crap. That's not why they lend money to Crook, Chicago, Illinois. I'm sure Chicago and Crook County have collateralized the debt with publicly owned assets. That's what the State had to do in the budget in order for institutions to continue to gobble up Illinois GO debt. Anything financed by the state is up for a taking in the event of bankruptcy, insolvency, or default.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#198 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

Considering how badly government is run here, things can only get better when the trustees take over :)

- N. A. Halkides -

#199 mkhalil61

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

https://chicago.sunt...,2L10J8,3JLCV,1

#200 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,571 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Nice!  I hope it's true.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#201 quackersmacker

• 1,381 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

What a shame that Taxwinkle has managed to torpedo any viability for her future political career, except maybe for dogcatcher.    :frantics:

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#202 soylentgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'm not sure what the sheriff's office even does. They do security at courthouses and prisons, I guess? I live close to the courthouse across from Arlington Park. I see deputies driving to and from there occasionally in their squads (usually driving well in excess of the speed limit). I've never seen them enforcing speed laws or anything like that.

My guess is trimming their budget/staff probably would have zero impact on my life.

I'm curious why the sheriff's office is the only thing we are hearing about. Why aren't they telling us about all the milkers who will stop getting free stuff? Oh, that's right...no one cares about that. Interestingly, the left hates the police...but they cry about under funding law enforcement.

#203 EdDinIL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

My neighbor is a Cook County Sheriff's Police Officer.  He does do traffic enforcement (I saw him once on Route 53 with a car pulled over) and crash reconstruction, but most of his job is working a beat for areas of unincorporated Cook County as well as providing extra support to some Cook municipalities that need it in known problem areas.

Life Member: NRA, ISRA, SAF

#204 Black Flag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

What a shame that Taxwinkle has managed to torpedo any viability for her future political career, except maybe for dogcatcher.    :frantics:

A dogcatcher has to work within a budget.

Posted Image

#205 quackersmacker

• 1,381 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

A dogcatcher has to work within a budget.

Now that's a LOL good one!

Life Member --- NRA
Life Member --- Second Amendment Foundation
Member        --- ISRA
Member        --- Single Action Shooting Society    [Lt John Dunbar]
Member        --- Aurora Sportsmen's Club
Member        --- Tri County Gun Club

Fellow Members:  Please consider making at least an annual $25 contribution to this fine organization, which has proven its worth -----and you will then become a member of the Supporting Members Team.   In this case, it's definitely about putting your money where your mouth is!   And, getting results.  Who knows what the future holds.....these may just be some of the best dollars you'll ever spend.

#206 SiliconSorcerer

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

My neighbor is a Cook County Sheriff's Police Officer.  He does do traffic enforcement (I saw him once on Route 53 with a car pulled over) and crash reconstruction, but most of his job is working a beat for areas of unincorporated Cook County as well as providing extra support to some Cook municipalities that need it in known problem areas.

A bit dated, they need to figure out how to send them a bill... 

Approximately 2.4%, or 126,114, of Cook County’s 5.2 million residents live in unincorporated areas of the County and therefore do not pay taxes to a municipality. This requires County government to provide municipal services, including law enforcement, building and zoning, and liquor control, to small pockets of residents scattered throughout the County. County taxpayers are effectively paying a subsidy to cover municipal services for unincorporated residents, even as they pay taxes for their own municipal services.

Cost of Services Provided to Unincorporated Areas:

The County’s cost to provide selected municipal services, including law enforcement, building and zoning, and liquor control, to unincorporated areas in FY2013 was approximately $37.2 million or $295 per resident of the unincorporated areas. A cost of services comparison found that Cook County is generally spending less per capita to provide law enforcement, building and zoning, and liquor control services to unincorporated areas than neighboring municipalities are spending to provide the same services for their residents.

NRA Benefactor Member

etc etc etc

#207 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

When are people going to realize they've been lied to by Preckwinkle?  She contradicts herself.  On one hand the money raised by the tax is supposedly going to support Cook County hospitals and health programs, and keep kids healthier.  On the other hand, the money has already been spent for salaries of Cook County deputies and if the tax is repealed they'll have to be laid off.

The press takes this aloof attitude about these things like they're above it all.  They'll spend 5 days parsing a tweet from Trump but they don't dare state the obvious and call Prekwinkle a liar.

- N. A. Halkides -

#208 C0untZer0

• Members
  • 12,247 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

I'm not sure what the sheriff's office even does.

Well they run a high school:

School In Cook County Jail Falsified Attendance, Credit Rates

http://chicagotonigh...ce-credit-rates

An alternative high school located within the Cook County Jail has been falsifying its enrollment and graduation numbers for years, giving full course credits to students who no longer attended the school, including one teen who had been shot and killed early in the semester

- N. A. Halkides -

#209 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Saw a commercial the other evening explaining how the tax is needed to save the inner city children.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#210 jeterlancer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

A bit dated, they need to figure out how to send them a bill... 

Approximately 2.4%, or 126,114, of Cook County’s 5.2 million residents live in unincorporated areas of the County and therefore do not pay taxes to a municipality. This requires County government to provide municipal services, including law enforcement, building and zoning, and liquor control, to small pockets of residents scattered throughout the County. County taxpayers are effectively paying a subsidy to cover municipal services for unincorporated residents, even as they pay taxes for their own municipal services.

Cost of Services Provided to Unincorporated Areas:

The County’s cost to provide selected municipal services, including law enforcement, building and zoning, and liquor control, to unincorporated areas in FY2013 was approximately $37.2 million or $295 per resident of the unincorporated areas. A cost of services comparison found that Cook County is generally spending less per capita to provide law enforcement, building and zoning, and liquor control services to unincorporated areas than neighboring municipalities are spending to provide the same services for their residents.

I've always wondered why Chicago is part of Cook County and why they don't become an independent city. It would make things better for city and county residents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users