Photo

Automatic Knives for FOID Holders Becomes Law!

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#1 omg_its_john_cena

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about the speed that legislation snakes its way through our screwed up state, but there hasn't been any activity on SB711 for over a year now- http://www.ilga.gov/...99&SessionID=88

We had a pretty big thread of people staying on top of it back in 2015- http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=54749

...But 2016 came and went, it got archived, and it doesn't seem like anyone has been talking about this since. Is this normal for these sort of things, or is this bill effectively just dead?

#2 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

You want SB2294 I think.

http://www.ilga.gov/...02&SessionID=88

Passed Senate and on its way to House when there was a stabbing/murder with one in Chicago which made the Northern Dems nervous.

Last status update is 6/30/16.   Doubt it makes it into the last 2 days of session next week.   Not sure if that means a complete restart in future legislature sessions.

Some discussion here.  It did get a new sponsor

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=63010

Edited by InterestedBystander, 04 January 2017 - 02:24 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#3 mic6010

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

You want SB2294 I think.

http://www.ilga.gov/...02&SessionID=88

Passed Senate and on its way to House when there was a stabbing/murder with one in Chicago which made the Northern Dems nervous.

Yes because everybody knows that if you have a knife blade that shoots out at the push of a button it clearly becomes more deadly than any other bladed object. Especially in a CCL holders hands.

And these people are not only allowed to speak but also permitted to run a state huh ? Fear mongering morons. When is the illogical nonsense gonna stop.... Probably never right.

Edited by mic6010, 04 January 2017 - 02:20 PM.

"Living in Chicago, it used to be, 'don't go out at night,' or 'be more careful at night'. Now it's turned into a place where it doesn't matter if it's day or night."  - John Hendricks.

#4 omg_its_john_cena

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Oh cool, I didn't realize bills got re-numbered like this. Thanks for the heads-up.

#5 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

SB711 was an earlier, similar bill addressing both automatic knives and stun guns. 

It's probably too late in session with not enough interest in pushing these bills, to get either through during the 99th General Assembly.  It wouldn't surprise me if they're filed again later in January for the 100th GA.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#6 Joebie

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Subscribed!

The naivety of few effect the majority.

#7 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

No need to subscribe joebie the 99th general assembly ended yesterday so if this bill is reintroduced will receive a new bill number.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#8 Joebie

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

No need to subscribe joebie the 99th general assembly ended yesterday so if this bill is reintroduced will receive a new bill number.

:pinch:   Oops.  

#9 mauserme

• Admin
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'll try to remember to update this thread if we see a knife bill filed.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#10 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Be a good diea to update the old threads with a link to the new threads and lock the old ones once things start getting filed.

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#11 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Why would having a CCL be a requirement?

#12 VannDaddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Probably cause it makes you a card carrying good guy instead of a non-card carrying possibly good guy.

#13 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

That makes sense.

#14 Joebie

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:36 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Be a good diea to update the old threads with a link to the new threads and lock the old ones once things start getting filed.

Thanks Maus!

And yeah, I didn't even think about the fact that the 99th just ended.  I've been out of the game for a little bit -_- 

#15 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Because Chicago Democrats.
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#16 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Because Chicago Democrats.

+1

WD

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#17 mauserme

• Admin
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

SB607 Crim Cd Switchblades was filed today.

#18 John Q Public

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

What are the chances for this thing to go somewhere? Not to change the subject, but I'd love to be able to have more non-lethal alternatives. Why we can carry a gun, but not a taser that fires barbs and stuns is beyond me. I know I would consider this as an option before I had to use lethal force. I know they will let us use contact tasers, but I don't want to have to get that close in a lot of situations; before I would do that I would have to go for the gun... another option would be great.

Edited by John Q Public, 24 January 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#19 Highwayman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

While I'm glad this is moving forward for the taser inclusion, I can't for the life of me imagine ever buying or carrying an automatic knife when fixed blades are legal and quicker to access. Now, if this bill had allowed collapsible batons...We'd have a very neutral nonlethal option.

#20 InterestedBystander

• 3,305 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

While I'm glad this is moving forward for the taser inclusion, I can't for the life of me imagine ever buying or carrying an automatic knife when fixed blades are legal and quicker to access. Now, if this bill had allowed collapsible batons...We'd have a very neutral nonlethal option.

Wut? I did not see anything about a Taser inclusion. I have hand mobility issues at times and carry a spring assisted opener as a simple folder causes me too many problems. Would welcome autos legalized as I cant see a fixed blade as a solution for me. Agree with the batons.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 24 January 2017 - 12:46 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#21 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Trying to find the passage where batons are illegal.

Edited by bmyers, 24 January 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#22 mauserme

• Admin
  • 17,329 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

There were some earlier bills that included Tasers.  I don't think this one does.

#23 InterestedBystander

• 3,305 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Trying to find the passage where batons are illegal.

Thought it is in UUW

Perhaps it depends on your interpretation of bludgeon and some other terms

720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or
carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or
(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same
unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or
(3) Carries on or about his person or in any vehicle,
a tear gas gun projector or bomb or any object containing noxious liquid gas or substance, other than an object containing a non-lethal noxious liquid gas or substance designed solely for personal defense carried by a person 18 years of age or older; or
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(13) Carries or possesses on or about his or her
person while in a building occupied by a unit of government, a billy club, other weapon of like character, or other instrument of like character intended for use as a weapon. For the purposes of this Section, "billy club" means a short stick or club commonly carried by police officers which is either telescopic or constructed of a solid piece of wood or other man-made material.

Edited by InterestedBystander, 24 January 2017 - 01:42 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#24 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

So you can't carry a baton because it is a bludgeon, but you can carry a male goat (billy) as long as you don't plan on hurting anyone with it?

#25 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Nice this new version includes all IL gun owners.

#26 InterestedBystander

• 3,305 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

SB607 Crim Cd Switchblades was filed today.

Witness slips are open for SB0607 in Criminal Law Committee

http://my.ilga.gov/H..._=1486331492391

Scheduled Date 2/07/2017 - 5:30 PM
Location 400 - Capitol - - Springfield, IL
Posting Date 2/01/2017 - 2:52 PM

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides an exemption from the prohibition on sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of a switchblade knife to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives. Effective immediately.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#27 Keith44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

Witness slip filed

NRA Life Member
..., the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. - 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

#28 agalloch07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

So you cant own automatic knives in IL? oops...

#29 InterestedBystander

• 3,305 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

So you cant own automatic knives in IL? oops...

Yep, and yet they have been sold at gun shows for years. Had bills submitted last couple of legislative sessions and it almost passed in 2016 until some female killed another with a switchblade late last year.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member

#30 gearhead

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

Witness slips filed x 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users