Read before FOID/CCL Renewal PLUS Address Change - getting locked out of the system

Molly B.

Many people who are up for renewal and also need to make an address/name change are running into problems when they do the name/address change first. This causes them to be locked out of the system and unable to access the renewal application.

There are instructions on the ISP website stating to do the address/name change as a part of the renewal process, not as a separate transaction.

From Firearm Services Bureau:

We are seeing a very large number of individuals that are choosing to complete an address change instead of submitting the CCL renewal. We are working with our vendor to shut-off the address change option when the renewal button is present. As Valinda points out, a CCL holder is required to notify the ISP of an address change - they are not completing it at the time of the actual address change. They are told they can do this as part of their renewal application. If Valinda could assist us by getting the word out to her membership that if the RENEWAL button is present, to update their address during the renewal process and not a separate transaction, it would be extremely helpful. We have two pop-ups on the application itself, but applicants are not reading. I have included one here in the attachment.

post-195-0-90411500-1555948550_thumb.jpg

I changed my address on FOID/CCL on Apr. 17th and my CCL expires June 13th, I was not aware this was an issue but I didn’t experience any problems or got locked out, maybe I just got lucky?

So did you renew you ccl already?

I have not since I don’t plan to renew anyway, I will be moving out of state in the near future, I just figured I’d comply with the law and update my address while I’m still living in Illinois

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ A RANT, THEN STOP NOW.

I am unable to log in to my account of many years. The password and login are correct, I have used them many times. I am also unable to change or update the password, create a new account, or get anyone from the ISP to call me back regarding this issue after several E-mail requests. I have tried with three different computers, using Safari, Opera, and Chrome browsers. Same result.

Want to have a good laugh, try calling someone at their "contact number". Its pretty cool. after a few minutes of useless prompts, they hang up on you because of their "heavy call volume". What a joke these people are.

This has been going on for months, and in the mean time, my Foid/CCL has expired- It seems that telling people they are no longer able to carry is under control though. I received THAT letter fine. I'm pretty sure it is an automated system. Again, either they are not responding to requests for information or even a simple call back, or nobody is there to do it at all.

Why is it that there is no accountability on their end? How much time has to be wasted in useless attempts to get one of them to respond?

Remember the millions of dollars they said they would need to implement the carry program when we first started? Maybe I can contact a federal judge and have him force a response from the crack team at the ISP. (Remember that?) Yep, if it wasn't real, it would almost be funny as well as mind numbingly frustrating.

Not having logged onto the forum for a while, I was going to search for this and see if anyone else is locked out- it was the very first thing I saw on the first page. WOW. Let me guess, it's going to cost me extra to have this resolved, Right?

It's no wonder the folks in other states just shake their heads and laugh, or say they moved the heck out of Illinois because of this exact type of nonsense.

Six years later, we still have this joke of a system. Thanks ISP. Hope your direct deposit paychecks are working alright.

Hello Molly,

Thanks for responding. There was no address or replacement request. It expired because I am unable to renew. I attended the required course a few months ago. I have the Email from the instructor with necessary information. As I stated above, I am unable to log in, get or change the password, create a new account, or get a response from the ISP. I have called and Emailed them many times with callback number, they can't even do that. The login is correct, I keep records of every account I have with both current and past passwords on a separate spreadsheet. I know all identification questions and answers because I write them down as I go. System locked me out, the only option was to call or send an E-mail under the "contact us" tab. I have done both for months now.

If there is another way, I am unaware of it. The way they provide is ineffective. It shouldn't be this difficult and a 5 minute phone call from them would certainly resolve this.

Hello Molly,

Thanks for responding. There was no address or replacement request. It expired because I am unable to renew. I attended the required course a few months ago. I have the Email from the instructor with necessary information. As I stated above, I am unable to log in, get or change the password, create a new account, or get a response from the ISP. I have called and Emailed them many times with callback number, they can't even do that. The login is correct, I keep records of every account I have with both current and past passwords on a separate spreadsheet. I know all identification questions and answers because I write them down as I go. System locked me out, the only option was to call or send an E-mail under the "contact us" tab. I have done both for months now.

If there is another way, I am unaware of it. The way they provide is ineffective. It shouldn't be this difficult and a 5 minute phone call from them would certainly resolve this.

Did you create a new account after 2015?

Like I said I am unable to create a new account. I have tried, but the system errors out apparently due to existing Id numbers being used in the original account.

I would not mind sending you all login and password information if you want to try anything to verify. I am not sure what else there is to do at this point.

Did you try with both a new account ID AND a different email account?

• 3 weeks later...

Attempting to renew ccl and change address. I created a new account online and have attempted to sign in and am receiving the same error code "unable to sign in, credentials incorrect". I've made 4 attempts and afraid to make the 5th just to get locked out. What do I do now?

If you wait a while, that number 5 lockout resets, at least it did for me. You've got a new account so are sure of the email. I might try the forgot password link now. Just a thought.

Also the one time I had problems and they answered she told me to not make the password too complex i.e 8+ characters and no special characters. Silly and not as secure as it could be but it worked. edit: Ive since exceeded 8 characters and added a special character. Seems to be working ok.

When I made a new account a few years ago, I got that error with my brand new account. It took some debugging, because the ISP was no help (surprise).

If the password you try to set is longer than the maximum (which I think is 15 characters), the system won't warn you. (At least it didn't warn me at the time. Maybe they fixed it. Maybe they didn't.) Then when you later try to authenticate, obviously nothing you enter less than or equal to the maximum length will match.

If that's your problem, reset the password to something 15 characters (or less).

• 1 month later...

All,

I have been experiencing a similar issue. I updated my address on my FOID card and since then I have not been able to update/renew my CCW. I keep receiving the error "You cannot access the license wizard after you have submitted your application." I only have 6 days to submit my renewal. Chain of events

1. Recreate Login

2. Update FOID Home Address

3. Tried to Update CCW received error below.

4. Waited for FOID to arrive and still receive the error below.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

All,

I have been experiencing a similar issue. I updated my address on my FOID card and since then I have not been able to update/renew my CCW. I keep receiving the error "You cannot access the license wizard after you have submitted your application." I only have 6 days to submit my renewal. Chain of events

1. Recreate Login

Sent you a pri.vate message

We really need a sticky up top to help these folks.

Something like: READ THIS BEFORE RENEWING OR ADDRESS CHANGING ANYTHING

While I'm here I’ll again state this: Why can't instructors be giving out IllinoisCarry's web site and let them know to become a member?

Seems we may have been able to fix some of these before they became bad!

The instructor I used gave us 4 web sites at the end of the day.

I for one am glad he did, the enclosed info here is tremendous!

Yes IC was the number one.

I’m on my phone but I know one was about the gunlaws.com maybe

The other was the app for posted stuff

Oh ISRA

And another about gun laws but it eludes me now

I’ll try to get my original folder out and then update.

But really my point is if peeps come here soon after and get involved, maybe they can read and not get in these spots.

I was trying to read each day for like 15 minutes, yes I was working back then! lol

Yes IC was the number one.

Im on my phone but I know one was about the gunlaws.com maybe

The other was the app for posted stuff

Oh ISRA

And another about gun laws but it eludes me now

Ill try to get my original folder out and then update.

But really my point is if peeps come here soon after and get involved, maybe they can read and not get in these spots.

I was trying to read each day for like 15 minutes, yes I was working back then! lol

I understand. Was just curious what other IL boards had comparable discussion. So probably I am guessing sites were (and that you needed more than 15 min! LOL):

http://www.illinoiscarry.com

https://www.handgunlaw.us/

https://www.isra.org/

http://rightapp.net/wp/posted/ (Posted app)

All,

1. Recreate Login

Sent you a pri.vate message

If there is an answer to this issue I would love to hear it, I am in the same boat.

• 3 weeks later...

I submitted the address change on 4/10, the license expired on 7/7.

Note that when I checked the website on 7/8, it showed my license was expired but I was able to click apply and was presented with what looked like a renewal screen and not a new application screen. I filled out the forms and will report back.

• 2 months later...

No Renewal Button! Thanks to this forum I was finally able to get into my account and all of the information that is there is correct. I did set up a new account with a new user ID and password. All looks ok, but there is no renewal button and the message says that there must be one to proceed. Now what do I do? My actual renewal is not until February, 2020. Am I seeking to renew too early?

• 2 months later...

I also am in the same boat as I only read the first couple of lines in the pop-up and went ahead and changed my address for my CCL. All I received in the mail was my FOID and it has my new address and my address has been changed online. I didn't receive my CCL. Logged into the state police website and my CCL says Pending.. It doesn't expire until 4/11/2020 I have tried calling them about a 100 times and every time the line is busy and I get the recording and then it hangs up on me..

Is there anything I can do? Will I be able to renew once I am within the 90 days? I took the 3 hour renewal course and have my certificate in hand but am not seeing the renewal button on the website when I login..

I also am in the same boat as I only read the first couple of lines in the pop-up and went ahead and changed my address for my CCL. All I received in the mail was my FOID and it has my new address and my address has been changed online. I didn't receive my CCL. Logged into the state police website and my CCL says Pending.. It doesn't expire until 4/11/2020 I have tried calling them about a 100 times and every time the line is busy and I get the recording and then it hangs up on me..

Is there anything I can do? Will I be able to renew once I am within the 90 days? I took the 3 hour renewal course and have my certificate in hand but am not seeing the renewal button on the website when I login..

Unfortunately, I did the same thing, except I did the address change back in August, received my updated FOID a few weeks later. I can still log in to my account, all information has been updated, except my CCL say "Under Review". My CCL doesn't expire until 9/14/2020.

Unfortunately, I did the same thing, except I did the address change back in August, received my updated FOID a few weeks later. I can still log in to my account, all information has been updated, except my CCL say "Under Review". My CCL doesn't expire until 9/14/2020.

To add, I wasn't trying to renew my CCL.

Why would they even have the edit name/address button/option if you are to do the address change at the time of renewal?

Archived