Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

"Public" Transportation is another way of saying Social Transportation. Its just another way for politicians and public unions to fleece the tax payer.

The amount of money that is paid out to "workers" very quickly outpaces the utility that the transportation service provides and surpasses the amount of actual revenue that the service can generate. So money is diverted from other government revenue sources to pay the salaries of the transportation union employees who keep voting their political bosses back into office as long as their bosses continue to steal money from tax payers to keep public transportation up an running, in other words, keep the transportation union members employed.

If anyone objects to having their money taken away from them and given to other people they're attacked for hating poor people and they're called racist.

Uhh, that's not how public transit works.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Kind of fits in this thread:

A CTA train operator is charged with being a felon in possession of a handgun, striking a cop with his car, and driving over 100 MPH in an attempt to evade arrest early Friday, according to Chicago police and prosecutors.

Perhaps most surprising of all is this: The CTA hired the accused man four years ago, shortly after he completed probation for illegally selling handguns in Chicago.

...According to a Sept. 2013 Chicago Tribune report, prosecutors accused him of buying four guns, including a MAC-11 pistol in Florida, and then re-selling them near his home on South Eggleston Avenue in March 2012. Ironically, one of the weapons was found in a convicted felon’s car after the man crashed while trying to evade police following a traffic stop, the paper reported.

https://cwbchicago.com/2019/10/cta-train-conductor-a-convicted-felon-is-charged-with-having-gun-in-car-battering-cop-driving-100-mph-to-escape.html

Commit a gun crime, get a good-paying city job where you're responsible for the safety of hundreds of people at a time!

• 1 month later...

NOW: Concealed-carry holder has a suspected robbery offender held at gunpoint on the LaSalle Blue Line platform. - 4:53 AM - 4 Dec 2019

https://twitter.com/CWBChicago/status/1202209276120457216

I think this has the makings of a VERY good case to show that the non-carry rule is idiotic and puts people in unnecessary extreme danger. AND that lawful firearm owners are not only effective in stopping crimes from occurring, but also exercise care in not going "OK Corral" as idiots try to claim. This is a textbook case of "see what happened to the guy who couldn't defend himself, and look what happened when the guy who COULD stepped in."

Harm is now attached, so this is an ideal case to bring to the courts to get the prohibition on public transportation thrown out.

NOW: Concealed-carry holder has a suspected robbery offender held at gunpoint on the LaSalle Blue Line platform. - 4:53 AM - 4 Dec 2019

Follow-up:

Both the alleged attacker and the gun owner were taken into police custody, but the owner was released without criminal charges. The alleged attacker remained in custody pending charges Wednesday afternoon, said police spokesman Anthony Spicuzza.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-concealed-carry-owner-blue-line-20191205-zsmbhryvwndsdbxmjm5hae4hy4-story.html

• 4 months later...

Follow-up:

Both the alleged attacker and the gun owner were taken into police custody, but the owner was released without criminal charges. The alleged attacker remained in custody pending charges Wednesday afternoon, said police spokesman Anthony Spicuzza.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-concealed-carry-owner-blue-line-20191205-zsmbhryvwndsdbxmjm5hae4hy4-story.html

Hmm, I missed this one. I wonder why no charges were pressed by the CPD, even though . . .

". . . state law prohibits CCL holders from bringing concealed firearms on public trains and buses, or any public facility “under the control” of transit agencies."

Could it be that they were instructed not to, because this would be a perfect case to illustrate that firearms carry and use by law-abiding citizens are not only necessary because of the crimes that abound on the C TA, but also that the only reason this prohibition exists is to restrict CCL owners from traveling on public transportation and make them less inclined to carry?

My attorney has instructed me to INSIST upon charges being pressed on me, and to file a 14th Amendment civil rights lawsuit for failing to be given equal treatment under the law if they don't, so that I can press a 2nd Amendment violation case and get this prohibition destroyed in the courts.

Never heard or have been able to locate where someone demands to be arrested and charged.

Nor any 14th lawsuits.

But before getting to the fair treatment, isn’t it in the law enforcements discretion to either arrest or not? Charge or not?

I’d never retain a lawyer who suggests to ME that I should demand to be arrested and charged at anytime!

Never heard or have been able to locate where someone demands to be arrested and charged.

Nor any 14th lawsuits.

But before getting to the fair treatment, isn’t it in the law enforcements discretion to either arrest or not? Charge or not?

I’d never retain a lawyer who suggests to ME that I should demand to be arrested and charged at anytime!

We've discussed creating a situation where the state is forced to take this to court, to force the issue, as a stated matter of civil disobedience, so the unconstitutionality can be directly and openly challenged by an ideal plaintiff.

That's the only way that this sort of thing won't get shuffled along and not create precedent. You can see it happened with the decision not to charge the CCL holder on the Blue Line incident above, because the state knows that if it went to court, they would lose just like the lost just about every other firearms restriction case that they've had brought against them.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Woman gets 2 years for series of Red Line attacks
Tatyona Davis, 20, was accused of three separate attacks in under a week while she was already on a recognizance bond for allegedly robbing a Wicker Park grocery store and another recognizance bond for shoplifting.

Seems like a light sentence for someone who used a metal object to stab someone in the chest. Tatyona Davis will probably serve 20 months of that 2 year sentence.

The Cook County State's Attorney's office and Cook County judges give out recognizance bonds for anything short of murder. Statistically, you have a pretty good chance of sharing the bus or train car with a violent offender anytime you ride the CTA.

Police: Attack on CTA Blue Line train in Oak Park leaves passenger with head trauma, eye injury
Witnesses told police the passenger had either been struck with a hammer or stabbed with a knife, police said. The attacker had fled the scene by the time police arrived.

Man stabbed on Red Line train in South Loop
About 1:50 a.m. he was riding a train in the 100 block of West Cermak Road when a man sitting across from him stabbed him in the face with a knife. Police do not yet know what provoked the stabbing

Violent crime rate doubles on CTA rail system, even with stepped-up police efforts and far fewer riders: ‘The people that are driving the crime never left the system’

The rate of violent crime on CTA trains and platforms has more than doubled this year, even though the number of riders has dramatically dropped and Chicago police have stepped up patrols and surveillance, according to a Tribune analysis of police and CTA data.

Ridership this year on the “L” system has been down 61% through September compared with the same period in 2019, according to the CTA. In some months during the spring and summer, it was down more than 85%

The number of crimes has dropped, too, but not nearly as much as ridership. That means those left riding the system saw a jump in their odds of becoming a victim to a crime on the “L” or at CTA platforms and stations.

From Jan. 1 through Sept. 30, there were roughly 6 violent crimes and 9 nonviolent crimes per 1 million rides on the “L.” The nonviolent crime rate saw a slight uptick, but the violent crime rate has more than doubled from last year, when both types of crime on the CTA rail system reached their highest levels of the decade.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/investigations/ct-chicago-crime-cta-train-stations-20201214-el4tvqdanzb5jbgwlkecyx27kq-htmlstory.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CWB now has a CTA section:

https://cwbchicago.com/category/cta

Truly frightening.

When are the courts going to overturn this dangerous infringement on our RTKBA ?

Sadly, these will probably not get beyond ILGA committees and will take a horrific event followed by court case

HB0787

Patrick Windhorst

CONCEAL CARRY-PUBLIC TRANSPORT 03/02/2021 House Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee

**** HB 787 Judiciary - Criminal Committee Hearing Mar 9 2021 10:00AM www.ilga.gov Virtual Room

Bill Status of SB1756 102nd General Assembly

Full Text Votes Witness Slips

Short Description: CONCEAL CARRY-PUBLIC TRANSPORT

• 4 weeks later...

The current environment with the CTA is creating incredible numbers of victims. The situation with the CTA is very similar to the state of affairs for all of Illinois before Shepard v. Madigan. It seems to me that if a victim / plaintiff similar to Mary Shepard challenged the prohibition of carrying on the CTA, the prohibition would be found unconstitutional in the same way that state-wide prohibition on carrying was found to be unconstitutional.

• 2 weeks later...

2020 CTA crime statistics data set:

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Public-Safety/CTA-2020-thefts-robberies-drug-offenses-and-violen/kyky-2i4x/data

What is not in the data set are things like trespassing on CTA property, theft of services of the CTA/passing bad checks etc... graffiti/vandalism and similar shenanigans.

It looks like there were 2835 crime on the CTA last year.

The crimes that most people are concerned about are violent crimes against passengers and it will take more time to break that out...

• Molly B. unpinned this topic

Archived