Place to shoot around McLean County

Gunslinger

I'm new to town, out in rural Danvers. I have a membership at Darnalls gun works, don't get me wrong they are great out there, really nice people and their ammo prices are very fair. My only complaint is that they don't allow any rapid fire. I don't really see any point in taking my AK to the range and spending money on ammo, taking the time to fill 30 round mags and then not being able to even crank off a double tap. I want to keep improving my shooting skill and rules like that really put a roadblock in the way of doing anything other than just trying to hit the paper. They say the rule is because they don't want the farmers around the area calling the sheriff, I would think the only reason someone would call would be if they thought you were shooting full auto, in that case I'm sure an officer would respond, depending on my mood that day I may let him check to make sure I'm just semi and that would be the end of it, unfortunately they don't see it that way. Anyone know a place that would better suit me? I don't mind a drive on a weekend as long as its not to far since the price of gas continues to climb. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I'm new to town, out in rural Danvers. I have a membership at Darnalls gun works, don't get me wrong they are great out there, really nice people and their ammo prices are very fair. My only complaint is that they don't allow any rapid fire. I don't really see any point in taking my AK to the range and spending money on ammo, taking the time to fill 30 round mags and then not being able to even crank off a double tap. I want to keep improving my shooting skill and rules like that really put a roadblock in the way of doing anything other than just trying to hit the paper. They say the rule is because they don't want the farmers around the area calling the sheriff, I would think the only reason someone would call would be if they thought you were shooting full auto, in that case I'm sure an officer would respond, depending on my mood that day I may let him check to make sure I'm just semi and that would be the end of it, unfortunately they don't see it that way. Anyone know a place that would better suit me? I don't mind a drive on a weekend as long as its not to far since the price of gas continues to climb. Thanks in advance.

One of the reasons they don't allow rapid fire at Darnall's is their outdoor range was allowed because it was mainly for sighters. If they had folks rat-tat-tatting away they could face zoning issues.

One of the reasons they don't allow rapid fire at Darnall's is their outdoor range was allowed because it was mainly for sighters. If they had folks rat-tat-tatting away they could face zoning issues.

I understand, they are great people an the range is really nice. Im not a hunter though, I learned everything I know about shooting in the Marines and would like to continue to keep practicing that way.

If you are meeting new people in the town you moved into, perhaps you can start up a firearms conversation. May lead to youf finding out if someone is willing to let you shoot on their land. I have an Uncle who owns a few dozen acres in McLean (or atleast right next to Mclean) and I go shooting there once in a while, but I do not know how he would react to letting others shoot on his land. (There are only about 2 other people he lets shoot on his land and those men have been his neighbors for over a decade). But if you happen to live next to some neighbors who have some land and you notice them shooting never hurts to ask. Plus it could get a great way to open the door to a new friendship.

P.S.

I am a student in Macomb and there are no firing ranges near here, so I feel your pain. Well there is one, but it is shotguns only and...well I don't own a shotgun (yet!).

If you are meeting new people in the town you moved into, perhaps you can start up a firearms conversation. May lead to youf finding out if someone is willing to let you shoot on their land. I have an Uncle who owns a few dozen acres in McLean (or atleast right next to Mclean) and I go shooting there once in a while, but I do not know how he would react to letting others shoot on his land. (There are only about 2 other people he lets shoot on his land and those men have been his neighbors for over a decade). But if you happen to live next to some neighbors who have some land and you notice them shooting never hurts to ask. Plus it could get a great way to open the door to a new friendship.

P.S.

I am a student in Macomb and there are no firing ranges near here, so I feel your pain. Well there is one, but it is shotguns only and...well I don't own a shotgun (yet!).

http://www.hancockcountygunclub.com

It is about 30 minutes west of Macomb. At 50 dollars a year a real bargain. Also they have lots of different shoots on Sunday afternoons that are open to the public.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived