Trump's Supreme Court Pick

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 lawman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Looks like a leading contender has emerged.

https://www.aol.com/...uprem/21661820/

#2 GTX63

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Don't know the guy, but I'm sure the networks, and we all know which ones, are writing out checks to their moles for the low down and forwarding all the photoshopped pics and documents to Mr. Schumer.

#3 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

My guess, this guy is the head fake to take the networks off guard when someone else is named.

If he is the real guy, and is a Scalia worthy replacement...great. I question how he could clerk for Kennedy and not be moderate.

#4 soundguy

• 4,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

My guess, this guy is the head fake to take the networks off guard when someone else is named.

If he is the real guy, and is a Scalia worthy replacement...great. I question how he could clerk for Kennedy and not be moderate.

Who you work for or learn from is not always an indication of your beliefs.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#5 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

Doing some reading this guy is as bad if not worse than Kennedy. :no:

United States v. Games-Perez :no:

To be clear he has a style like Scalia, but rulings like Kennedy. :no:

Edited by kevinmcc, 25 January 2017 - 12:57 AM.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#6 jrc905

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

So much for my hopes for either a  Willett, Kozinski, Barnett, Volokh or Reynolds nomination...  

maybe later...

#7 lawman

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Looks like it's official now

https://www.aol.com/...tates/21704505/

#8 GTX63

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Riots, looting and limo fires in 3...2....1.....

#9 TRJ

Joyful Stoic

• 6,172 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Makes no difference, the leftist bunch is going to run around with their hair on fire regardless.

#10 ilphil

Ornery Skeptic

• Members
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Doing some reading this guy is as bad if not worse than Kennedy. :no:

United States v. Games-Perez :no:

To be clear he has a style like Scalia, but rulings like Kennedy. :no:

What in his dissent leads you to that conclusion?

According to what I have read elsewhere, his opinion in the dissent was later agreed to by a unanimous vote of SCOTUS.

Just wondering...

#11 Druid

• Members
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

The NRA is all behind this... 
C3i0c7cWIAAU8ob.jpg

#12 Hap

• 1,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

He looks a little healthier than Scalia, that's for sure.

May he live to be a hundred.

Ad utrumque paratus

#13 Johnnybgood

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

I can actually read and understand his dissent. He actually makes sense. I think I like him.

#14 lawman

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

He should be confirmed, but it won't be by a unanimous voice vote.

#15 ilphil

Ornery Skeptic

• Members
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

He should be confirmed, but it won't be by a unanimous voice vote.

In today's climate I don't think Madison or Franklin would get a unanimous vote in the Senate.  :no:

#16 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 7,128 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

He's a guy who routinely rules against anything that empowers the government.  He's also an originalist and a textualist.  

He gets my nomination.  Nancy Pelosi was quoted as saying that he's a horrible candidate that doesn't view law in the modern view of law.  If that's not a ringing endorsement for the guy, I don't know what is.  She's nuttier than squirrel turds.  

Edited by DD123, 31 January 2017 - 09:23 PM.

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#17 BobPistol

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

So is this guy like Kennedy or Scalia? 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#18 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 7,128 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

So is this guy like Kennedy or Scalia? 

He's slightly to the right of Scalia.  

ETA:  Trump had two judges come out to DC, Gorsuch is to the right of Scalia, the other guy is right around Kennedy on the political spectrum.  It's almost impossible to have an originalist and textualist anywhere near Kennedy.  

Edited by DD123, 31 January 2017 - 09:35 PM.

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#19 X Ring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

He's a guy who routinely rules against anything that empowers the government.  He's also an originalist and a textualist.  

He gets my nomination.  Nancy Pelosi was quoted as saying that he's a horrible candidate that doesn't view law in the modern view of law.  If that's not a ringing endorsement for the guy, I don't know what is.  She's nuttier than squirrel turds.  

Thread winner!!!

Life member: NRA, Aurora Sportsmans Club
Member: GOA and ISRA
Remember when the enemy is within range so are you! When in doubt empty the entire mag!

#20 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 12,251 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

If Pelosi ( who is in the House and has no part in the confirmation process) doesn't like him it's the ultimate endorsement

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#21 GTX63

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

The senate judiciary committee screamers will be hammering him  over religion, abortion, immigration and voting rights. The public self unscrewing of heads on the left is becoming must see tv.

#22 BobPistol

• Members
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:39 AM

He's a guy who routinely rules against anything that empowers the government. 

That's enough for me! :)   Less money for cronies!

The senate judiciary committee screamers will be hammering him  over religion, abortion, immigration and voting rights. The public self unscrewing of heads on the left is becoming must see tv.

Now what's gonna happen when Trump does things during the confirmation process that causes more outrages, taking the media's focus off the SCOTUS nominee?    Go ahead filibuster, the media's harping on a different story and ignoring yours.

Maybe.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#23 CILhunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

The funny thing is, Judge Gorsuch was approved by the Senate unanimously less than 10 years ago.  Many of these same Senators who are now wringing their hands and whining, thought that he was perfectly good for the 10th Circuit.  He won't get through on a voice vote, but at the end of the day he will get confirmed.  Only "better" choice would have been Judge William Prior, but that would be a really contentious nomination fight, more along the lines of the Robert Bork mess.  This one should be significantly easier.

#24 GTX63

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

An ill equipped and underpowered left as well as the media is getting over run with Trump edicts multiple times each day, and they don't know what to do.

It's I Love Lucy working the chocolate factory conveyor belt and the hot button topics and issues are just coming in faster than can be handled.

#25 gregivq

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

The funny thing is, Judge Gorsuch was approved by the Senate unanimously less than 10 years ago.  Many of these same Senators who are now wringing their hands and whining, thought that he was perfectly good for the 10th Circuit.  He won't get through on a voice vote, but at the end of the day he will get confirmed.  Only "better" choice would have been Judge William Prior, but that would be a really contentious nomination fight, more along the lines of the Robert Bork mess.  This one should be significantly easier.

Good point. I like the nomination and I'm really curious how this is going to play out. Democratic standoff? New nominee?

#26 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

If Pelosi ( who is in the House and has no part in the confirmation process) doesn't like him it's the ultimate endorsement

I couldn't put it any better than that.  I've never heard of the guy before, but I saw her little news clip last night, and I knew immediately Trump hit a grand slam.  YES!  Now, if we can get Ginsburg and Breyer to mosey on, and get those seats filled with nice solid conservatives, we will be set for the next couple of decades. 

Edited by mrmagloo, 01 February 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#27 Hap

• 1,617 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

Anyone else think this is a good time to take a few hours to reflect on how glad we are that we didn't hear Her Royal Hillaryness's chosen 2A-slayer, whoever that might have been, announced last night?

Ad utrumque paratus

#28 NakPPI

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Check out @Everytown's Tweet: https://twitter.com/...2150644737?s=09 Another endorsement.
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#29 HeavyDuty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:13 AM

Some of you probably aren't going to like this, but I think the SC functions best when it's in balance - which this appointment would do. I think a SC biased heavily to either side of the political spectrum is dangerous.

#30 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

I agree with Lou... except Pelosi is in the wrong "house"... another one comes to mind. (Has something to do with squirrels as DD123 mentioned!)

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Phil Compton "ishmo", "L" Company 75th Infantry (RANGER) 101st Airborne Division (VietNam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a good soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users