FOID News: ISP may be expiring your card while you wait in silence for your renewal.

mikew

So while waiting for renewal of my FOID card, the ISP invalidated my card at 60 days.
I did not know until I tried to make a F-2-F purchase here on IC.

In fact, a week before hand, I tried my own FOID number in the F2F background check page provided by the state police, here.

(https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx)

Why did I do this? because someone else said that they were denied, so I wanted to see if was happening.

Then a week later, when I went to make a purchase for real, I was denied.

I was mad as heck as chased this down as fast as I could, but missed the purchase of the gun.

Someone called me from the ISP today and tried to explain what happened to me as an isolated incident, but I have my doubts.
I think that everyone who has passed the printed expiration date by 60 calendar days is getting expired for a person to person transfer.

Help us all out and try to prove me wrong. If your FOID expiration date was over 60 days ago and you renewed before that, and you are still waiting for your card, then please try to get an approval number on yourself at the above link, and report back to this thread with your results.

Mike.

So while waiting for renewal of my FOID card, the ISP invalidated my card at 60 days.

I did not know until I tried to make a F-2-F purchase here on IC.

In fact, a week before hand, I tried my own FOID number in the F2F background check page provided by the state police, here.

(https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx)

Why did I do this? because someone else said that they were denied, so I wanted to see if was happening.

Then a week later, when I went to make a purchase for real, I was denied.

I was mad as heck as chased this down as fast as I could, but missed the purchase of the gun.

Someone called me from the ISP today and tried to explain what happened to me as an isolated incident, but I have my doubts.

I think that everyone who has passed the printed expiration date by 60 calendar days is getting expired for a person to person transfer.

Help us all out and try to prove me wrong. If your FOID expiration date was over 60 days ago and you renewed before that, and you are still waiting for your card, then please try to get an approval number on yourself at the above link, and report back to this thread with your results.

Mike.

Get a lawyer. This is dangerous. The ISP could be putting innocent people in danger with this "invalidation" crap. An invalid FOID means police could show up at a moments notice to take your firearms away. I agree with the other posters: what good is a FOID if they cannot even prevent cards being invalidated? this is serious crap and it needs to end. We need to end the FOID. Get a lawyer.

I just checked mine, good to go.

Applied back in early November, card expired on 02/01/2020.

Still shows under review.

The real test is what happens on or after April 1, because that's 60 days after the nominal expiration.

For someone to test now, it has to be someone with an expiration on or before January 9. Although, if we wait long enough, maybe it'll be everyone.

How did you get someone from the ISP to call you back?

Is it fixed yet or did they say they were going to fix the "isolated incident"? Wondering if an automated process (they can make this change but not fix more problematic site issues?) or a manual effort based on some kind of report?

Do you believe it to be 60 calendar days or 60 business days?

I just now tried mine. APPROVED.

However, the card itself is still under review.

Submitted payment 11 06 19.

Expired 02 01 2020

I'm gearing up to sell off a lifetime of collecting and this is a big stumbling block.

Most are C&Rs I will be selling out of state.

Most people don't want to deal with the hassle of a card that says it is expired.

How did you get someone from the ISP to call you back?

Is it fixed yet or did they say they were going to fix the "isolated incident"? Wondering if an automated process (they can make this change but not fix more problematic site issues?) or a manual effort based on some kind of report?

Do you believe it to be 60 calendar days or 60 business days?

I got persistent, creative, and had a lucky accident.

I called the office of the Director of the State Police, which is harder to do nowadays, and that's how I got my card fixed, but I wanted to find more, so I started making more calls, testing what I thought was a number for the director, on a sunday, when someone answered. He and I talked for half hour, he promised to get me an answer.

Gosh, don't ya think everyone deserves a chance to make a phone call to the ISP and get someone to answer? Instead of spending an hour only to get hung up on?

I intend to open this up. If the number of calls breaks the system, well, hey, the system was already broken.

No one checks your FOID/CCL when you sell, only when you buy.

Yes, I was trying to buy.

But oldguy intends to sell and seems worried.

I just now tried mine. APPROVED.

However, the card itself is still under review.

Submitted payment 11 06 19.

Expired 02 01 2020

I'm gearing up to sell off a lifetime of collecting and this is a big stumbling block.

Most are C&Rs I will be selling out of state.

Most people don't want to deal with the hassle of a card that says it is expired.

Were I selling, I never would have known that the ISP had expired me.

But someday in the future (with all the laws and restrictions they are attempting to pass) Imagine one of Kathleen Willis's or Don Harmons gun enforcement teams shows up on your doorstep demanding you hand over all your firearms due to an expired card. (thru no fault of your own)

Were I selling, I never would have known that the ISP had expired me.

But someday in the future (with all the laws and restrictions they are attempting to pass) Imagine one of Kathleen Willis's or Don Harmons gun enforcement teams shows up on your doorstep demanding you hand over all your firearms due to an expired card. (thru no fault of your own)

LOL I want to see either of them leading such a team.

Old style FOID or a new one

I ask as the old style didn’t have the new 16 digit matching the CCL

And looking at your member dates, and the number of posts here, I’m guessing some.

Like me I had a valid FOID and applied for a CCL early in the process when we got the ability

So my FOID was of the old style and the numbers didn’t match.........

Fast forward and my FOID expired (but didn’t) the FOID number would not accept in the isp transfer page!

But if I used my CCL it went straight through!

It looked to me like the invalidated the old number and validated the new number even while it was being processed.

But hey, I could be wrong, but I don’t think there is any conspiracy herein. Just bad timing!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived