Zimmerman Trial: Tired of media bias? See gun-friendly legal coverage

Law of Self Defense

--snip---. The Martin family would not be immune from the wrath of the tort lawyer either. --snip--

What does Tray's family have that's worth going after? I thought the first rule in a law suit was never go after somebody who has less money than you do

Hung jury, mistrial, seems the likely outcome of this. Mark my words.

Could well be, but for any of those to happen Judge Nelson would have to so rule.

I've seen nothing from her that would indicate anything other than a steely determination to push this trial through to completion, come heck or high water.

She won't declare a mistrial merely on some motion from the defense, and a judge can bring a great deal of pressure to compel a jury to come to a verdict That fourth week sequestered with you fellow jurors gets wearing.

Also, in Florida, "manslaugher by act" is a lesser included offense of murder 2, so the jury will be instructed on manslaughter as a matter of standard procedure. (You can see the manslaughter statute, 782.07, in full here: http://lawofselfdefe...tute/fl-782-07/)

Unfortunately, under such circumstances juries otherwise hopelessly deadlocked on the primary charge will agree to a "compromise verdict," regardless of the evidence.

In Florida, manslaughter is a second degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years imprisonment. If convicted on this charge, wiith good behavior Zimmerman could be out in as few as 5 or so years (assuming he survives his term of incarceration, which seems questionable). So, in his mid-30s, with a life left to live.

In contrast, murder 2 is punishable by life imprisonment. (you can see Florida's murder statute, 782.04, in full here: http://lawofselfdefe...-782-04-murder/)

This dilemma is a theme I hit frequently in my book--if you use deadly force in self defense you have to accept the fact that even if you "win," you can still "lose." You win the fight, you lose your liberty, your family, and everything you've worked for all you life.

Are there circumstances where such a grievous loss--liberty, family, property--is nevertheless worth having acted in self defense? Sure. If you were in danger of death or grave bodily harm, or the same for someone you had a duty to protect, such as a family member.

But to protect a car from being stolen, or a television from being burglared? Maybe not so much.

It's all part of what I call "developing a legally-sound self defense strategy," and it pays to know the rules of the game and think through the tactical and legal options BEFORE the flag flies.

Don't mean to preach, just my two cents.

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

I forgot about how a bunch of those Enron scumbags poured all of their money that they funneled from their VIE scam into massive primary residences which are protected by Florida and Texas in case of bankruptcy or judgment.

I'm wondering if this whole dog and pony show isn't on the FBI's radar. If it's not then it should be. There appears to be, at the very least, some sort of misconduct going on that is walking a very fine line between the judge strictly applying rules of evidence and the prosecution just "being slow," and some variety of misconduct/malfeasance on the part of the State.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Yes, thank you Andrew for the coverage from a pro-Second Amendment and objective point of view rather than through the refractive prism of the so-called media (hardly objective) that's managed to taint the jury pool beyond comprehension. Reading your synopses of the questioning of potential jurors makes me sad...for our countrym. The degree to which some are either completely out of touch with reality and current events or their biases is staggering.

Reading your synopses of the questioning of potential jurors makes me sad...for our countrym.

Just wait until you see my wrap-up of today's questioning of prospective juror. One juror actually said that the taking of another human life, under ANY circumstances, is murder, and he doesn't care what the self defense laws of the state are. When pressed, he conceded that maybe it would only be manslaughter . . . but a killing could NEVER be justified as an act of self defense, no matter what the circumstances.

And all that was just his responses to the State's questioning. It was so bad that the Court didn't even bother having the defense question this guy, she just dismissed him out of hand.

Imagine if THAT loon had gotten onto the jury. Oofah.

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

Dear lord. That frightens me but I have to respect the juror for their candor. Instead of lying, that is.

Maybe he was lying. Lots of folks don't want to put their lives on hold indefinitely to sit on a jury- in fact coming up with wild excuses to get out of jury duty has become cliche these days.

Yeah. Thats a sure fire, simple way NOT to get selected, which is a goal I might understand in this case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hung jury, mistrial, seems the likely outcome of this. Mark my words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am with you on this one, I think it is almost impossible to not end up with at least 1 person who has already prejudged this case given the saturation of downright slanderous media coverage.

IDK, being on the Zimmerman jury seems like a cash cow to me. Take notes and write a book later.

If you are on that jury you better hope they find him guilty, IMO being on the GZ Trial Jury and finding him not guilty will equal at least a couple years of harassment, threats and maybe even attacks on person or property.

The media has done such an expert job of race baiting and riling everyone up that many people have formed a strong opinion that GZ is guilty of murder and that anything less than a conviction is a gross 1950's Jim Crowe era injustice.

With the hatchet job that has gone on I just don't see how this guy gets a fair trial.

Now is one of those rare times I am actually GLAD to not be living back in Florida. Right after the media got ahold of this there were three seperate "Treyvon" motivated attacks in one week against innocent people in the town where I lived.

If they burn Zimmerman it will only be to keep Florida and many parts of the USA from burning, literally.

It will be interesting to see what happens if GZ is let off the hook; to those more legal minded than myself can the DOJ go after Zimmerman for any kind of "civil rights" related charges even if he not convicted of murder?

It will be interesting to see what happens if GZ is let off the hook; to those more legal minded than myself can the DOJ go after Zimmerman for any kind of "civil rights" related charges even if he not convicted of murder?

It would be awkward, as the FBI has already thoroughly investigated for any indication of racial motive, and found none.

But one must consider what administration we're talking about here.

So, sure, they CAN. Who's to stop them?

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

--snip---. The Martin family would not be immune from the wrath of the tort lawyer either. --snip--

What does Tray's family have that's worth going after? I thought the first rule in a law suit was never go after somebody who has less money than you do

Heh, tell that to the RIAA and MPAA

Different deal - they know and are willing to take a net loss on suing YOU - the goal is to scare everyone else into complaince

It would be awkward, as the FBI has already thoroughly investigated for any indication of racial motive, and found none.

But one must consider what administration we're talking about here.

So, sure, they CAN. Who's to stop them?

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence You are right anything is possible.

Given recent events, I would not be surprised one bit if Holder sends the DoJ after Zimmerman if the jury finds him not guilty. That or another bogus wiretap warrant obtained via judge shopping in order to do God knows what.

Hey folks,

I just posted up my summary of today's voir dire of prospective jurors for the Zimmerman trial, click the link below if you'd like to read it.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-three-wrap-up//#more

In brief, two events today were particularly interesting . . . or, more accurately, shocking.

First was a prospective juror, J39, who told the Court that as far as he was concerned, murder's murder, no matter what. Even if it's self defense. Self-defense doesn't make it right to kill somebody." When asked if he would be biased in this case on the issue of self-defense as murder he responded, "Yes," and that he would not be able to set his opinion aside.

Prospective juror J39 was promptly dismissed by the court.

Far more disturbing, however, was prospective juror E7, who may have attempted to perpetuate a despicable fraud upon the Court in an effort to destroy the integrity of the jury.

While being questioned by the State, E7 made all the right noises about having not yet made up his mind about the case. He said, for example, that if someones within their right to defend themselves, they shouldn't be arrested.

The entire time he was being questioned by the State, however, the defense table was scribbling like crazy. They asked to approach the bench, along with the State, and there was a hurried discussion with Judge Nelson out of everyone's hearing. After a few minutes Judge Nelson addressed E7, held up a printed Facebook page, and asked him if he had made this post on a Facebook page called "Coffee Page Progressives." He said that he had. Judge Nelson then noted for the record that the post in question had been made on March 21, 2012.

I took the liberty at looking at the Facebook postings for "Coffee Party Progressives" on that date. What I found was a hard-core Progressive site that, among other things, advocated for the violent death of George Zimmerman: "I say give the guy some skittles and an iced tea and shoot him in the head," wrote one commenter. Another commenter wrote, ". . . In Sanford . . . & I CAN tell you THIS. "Justice" . . . IS Coming! " and "The Seminole County "Justice" System needs an ENEMA . . . & they just MIGHT GET one!"

Prospective juror E7 was also promptly dismissed by the court.

To see the entire wrap-up of today's third day of voir dire, including screen caps of the "Coffee Party Progressives" posts and comments from March 21, 2012, just click here:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-jury-selection-day-three-wrap-up//#more

Best,

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

There was a million dollar settlement with the Homeowners Azzociation already.

There was a million dollar settlement with the Homeowners Azzociation already.

???

I'm wondering if this whole dog and pony show isn't on the FBI's radar. If it's not then it should be.

You either forgot your /purple tag, or you forgot who is in charge of the FBI these days.

The FBI has already been here, did thorough investigation to identify if Zimmerman had racial motive. None found. Went back to Quantico. All of their interviews are publicly available in discovery.

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

It turns out the best line to come out of the Zimmerman trial yesterday might have been delivered after the Court had recessed for the day.

Attorney Benjamin Crump, advisory to the Martin family, announced to the press that, ""The evidence shows there is no blood on Trayvon's hands."

I guess he hasn't seen this picture:

http://andrewbranca.smugmug.com/Journalism/Zimmerman-Trial/i-FXMgR9m/0/M/zimmerman_scene_photo-M.jpg

Andrew

@LawSelfDefense

Archived