First rifle for my shooting daughter...

WitchDoctor

Gentlemen, I am considering this as a first rifle for my daughter. She has demonstrated a proficiency for shooting and I want to buy her quality in 22.lr. She will be ten.

RUGER 10/22 CMPT 22LR 16.1" 10RD WD

https://www.cheapgunsonline.com/p-110165-ruger-1022-cmpt-22lr-161-10rd-wd.aspx

Well that is ugly, but here is a link. If anyone has a suggestion that can help me make her a better marks(woman), please speak up.

Thank you.

Richard

Can't go wrong with a 10/22 if you feel she's competent enough for a semi-auto.

A bolt action would probably be a bit more accurate though. My first rifle was a Remington 581 I got when I was 13, it's still my most accurate rifle will make dime-sized groups at 50 yards with even cheap bulk ammo. But 10/22 is accurate enough.

My daughters started shooting with a 10/22. One of them shows some real interest and potential. If you go with the 10/22 I would do a couple of things: first, replace the trigger with the BX Trigger available from Ruger - like before you fire a round, replace the trigger. The stock trigger, I found, was ridiculously heavy through the break. I shot with the stock trigger for years, and only recently replaced it. I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Second, make sure that she takes her time shooting. When my girls started I was just glad that they showed some interest in shooting, so I taught them safety and fundamentals, I didn't bother much with technique. Now that my daughter is really wanting to shrink those groups, it is requiring some retraining to teach her to breathe, shoot in the natural pause between breaths, etc. I would actually consider starting them with a Ruger American Rimfire - at least the magazines would be the same, so that they are "forced" to take their time. Although in my case, my daughter likes rimfire challenge, so I'd have wound up getting her a semi-auto in any event.

Edit: not sure where you live, but you might see if any of the local ranges offer training for young shooters. My gun club offers Appleseed and several free youth events, even to non-members, and we have a monthly "plinking party" with a whole bunch of reactive targets for rimfires only.

I am going to be the contrarian. The 10/22 is an amazing gun, I have two of them it is fun as heck to shoot. However when someone is BRAND NEW it is of value to teach taking your time with a shot and accuracy.

Consider one of these

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-training-rifle/

As she gets older you can always re-stock the rifle with one that has a more optics friendly cheek-weld or keep it as is and get her a regular CZ-455 for optics.

It all depends on what you mean by competition.

For benched shooting at cans there are many to choose from.

If you are thinking position shooting then look for a used Marlin 2000. These hold their value.

For a kid the weight is an issue.

Due to modem machining most gun are well made. It's the stock, trigger and sights that sets them apart. A prone stock is different from a position stock.

A bolt action should be more accurate. But then again different people have different standards for what is accurate.

For most kids the dad will like the 10/22. It has a zillion options.

I am going to be the contrarian. The 10/22 is an amazing gun, I have two of them it is fun as heck to shoot. However when someone is BRAND NEW it is of value to teach taking your time with a shot and accuracy.

Consider one of these

As she gets older you can always re-stock the rifle with one that has a more optics friendly cheek-weld or keep it as is and get her a regular CZ-455 for optics.

Actually, at 10 years old, one might consider the CZ-455 Scout model.

Consider one of these

Actually, at 10 years old, one might consider the CZ-455 Scout model.

I did not know they made such a thing. Very neat. The shorter barrel is not the best for future competitions but yeah 10 years old might be a little small for the training rifle.

I like the Marlin 795 Liberty Training Rifle (LTR). I also like the stick mags versus the little cube mage that the Ruger has.

A very cheap way to get your daughter some excellent training is to go to an Appleseed event:

https://appleseedinfo.org/

I have to agree with the Appleseed training. It is first rate and both of you can learn much from it.

Can't go wrong with a 10/22.

The 10/22s are a very good rifle and unarguably the most popular .22 semi-automatic rifle. Also, the most common 'first rifle' for most.

The Marlin 795 (detachable box magazine) or it's sister the model 60 (tube fed magazine) are outstanding values for the money. They're the same rifle except the 60 comes with a wood stock and the tube-fed magazine and the 795 comes with a synthetic stock and a detachable box magazine. If you can find an older model 70 it's the same thing as the current 795 but with a wood stock and no bolt release lever.

When my daughter turned 13 I had built a custom 795 for her using a Boyd's stock, mcarbo springs, DIP trigger and trigger guard, HiViz front sight, and polished bolt. Rifle shoots great.

You can spend a lot of money on a 10/22 to get it to shoot as well as a 60 or 795 out of the box.

I recommend you take a look.

Sirs, thank you for all of your input. She has been shooting both rifle and pistol for some time now, almost 3 years and I spent the first year just getting her to understand how to shoot safely and keep others safe around her. She now can put 80 out of a 100 rounds through the ten ring with iron sites at around 50 meters. Oh to have that eyesight again!

I am going to look at some other rifles now that bolt action was brought up. I like the idea and love my Browning X-Bolt.

I will look and perhaps ask one more time as my opinion changes.

Again, thank all of you for your valued input.

WD

Sirs, thank you for all of your input. She has been shooting both rifle and pistol for some time now, almost 3 years and I spent the first year just getting her to understand how to shoot safely and keep others safe around her. She now can put 80 out of a 100 rounds through the ten ring with iron sites at around 50 meters. Oh to have that eyesight again!

I am going to look at some other rifles now that bolt action was brought up. I like the idea and love my Browning X-Bolt.

WD

Good luck, take a look at the T-Bolt the straight pull thing is real fun shooting from a bench.

I started mine on a daisy red ryder BB gun and then I bought a Henry youth lever for his 10th birthday https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-youth-rifle/

I liked the idea of similar action styles for learning and then transitioning into other actions (bolt, semi auto) as he became more proficient.

It will be something he can shoot for the rest of his life and marks a time in his life where he will remember shooting with me.

WD

Good luck, take a look at the T-Bolt the straight pull thing is real fun shooting from a bench.

+1

I built my son a rifle on the S&W M&P 15-22 platform but he prefers my Browning T-bolt. (ingrate...)

I love my Browning Buckmark rifle for .22 plinking.

The Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle what will do just about anything you would want a 22 to do. You can leave it plain or accessorized it to your hearts content. The one concern I have is size. Is she big enough and/or the weapon small enough for her to manipulate properly?

Oh, that's a good point. How big/old is she? The Marlin 795 is a nice light rifle that she can grow into. The Ruger can get heavy if you're not shooting off a bench.

She is a tall kid at five feet at almost ten years old. Also an MMA fighter,how i got involved with that is a whole other story) She has also been getting private quality training for over three years which is why I think it is time for her first rifle. She has been shooting semi-auto for sometime and can handle the .223 round for a few until it is too loud.

All of your advice has been helpful and maybe what I just shared about her size can help.

Again, thank you all as this is important to me as I hand the torch down as my father did for me. You guys know....

Can't go wrong with a 10/22.

I started off shooting BB guns, and the first rifle I shot that actually took cartridges was a 10/22. Very fun to shoot especially as a first rifle.

They have little to no recoil so that alleviates the flinch response being conditioned.

I bought a takedown 10/22 a few years ago and while I don't shoot it very often, when I do it's a lot of fun.

Archived