Spare magazine carry.

Gator4838

So 3 firearms all 45 acp

1 right hip with 2 spares on left hip

1 small of back and a 1 mag pouch built in to the holster

Miami Classic under left arm with 2 mag pouch on right upper side under arm

So 5 spares with 3 in the guns

8 total on my person...............1 45 acp tucked away in the hidden glove box in the MINI with 2 extras.

11 X 8 = 88 plus 4 in the chamber/92

So 3 firearms all 45 acp

1 right hip with 2 spares on left hip

1 small of back and a 1 mag pouch built in to the holster

Miami Classic under left arm with 2 mag pouch on right upper side under arm

So 5 spares with 3 in the guns

8 total on my person...............1 45 acp tucked away in the hidden glove box in the MINI with 2 extras.

11 X 8 = 88 plus 4 in the chamber/92

I wouldn't have guessed the Mini could handle all that weight!

It is no skin off my nose but I have to ask..... why not carry an extra magazine on your person but keep one in your car? What good is an extra mag going to do you if you are a block away and need the extra mag right now ?

I carry at least one extra mag not because I fear getting into an O K corral type shooting but because of a jam or mag failure.

I’ve been pocket carrying my trust P938 this week. I have a little nylon belt pouch from some ancient tiny MP3 recorder that nicely holds two spare 7 round magazines. I’ve been keeping that in the car... but it could easily go on the belt. Or the right side pocket. Thinking it would work for the smaller lighter P238 Legion that I have not yet fired. Though I have never carried in a pocket before (Nemesis with a small notebook in front to even out the lines and make it look like it isn’t a gun), it sure is easier to garden with than a High Power Detective!

It is no skin off my nose but I have to ask..... why not carry an extra magazine on your person but keep one in your car? What good is an extra mag going to do you if you are a block away and need the extra mag right now ?

I carry at least one extra mag not because I fear getting into an O K corral type shooting but because of a jam or mag failure.

1. The chances of needed an extra mag in a self defense shooting FOR ME (for where I go) is slim to none. If I'm going someplace fairly sketchy I might add it (visiting family on the southside or going downtown).... but the Costco and new Aldi in Naperville during lunchtime is "one mag" territory.

2. I find mag malfunction unrealistic. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to pull my gun out AND squeeze the trigger, but it does not go bang....I'm already in a world of hurt. If a round is already chambered, there is no reason why my Shield will not fire the first round because of the mag. If I need a 2nd round, and it jams...how much time will it take to clear the jam, try again, and then figure out that it is the mag? I don't think the bad guy is going to stand there while I sort out my problems.

1. The chances of needed an extra mag in a self defense shooting FOR ME (for where I go) is slim to none. If I'm going someplace fairly sketchy I might add it (visiting family on the southside or going downtown).... but the Costco and new Aldi in Naperville during lunchtime is "one mag" territory.

2. I find mag malfunction unrealistic. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to pull my gun out AND squeeze the trigger, but it does not go bang....I'm already in a world of hurt. If a round is already chambered, there is no reason why my Shield will not fire the first round because of the mag. If I need a 2nd round, and it jams...how much time will it take to clear the jam, try again, and then figure out that it is the mag? I don't think the bad guy is going to stand there while I sort out my problems.

I understand your explanation, but all I really see is myself before I got any training on defensive use of a firearm. Spend a few dozen hours doing drills with dummy rounds mixed into your magazines or shoot enough cheap factory ammo and you develop an appreciation for having a spare loaded magazine and learn to get off the X.

I didn't take defensive use very seriously prior to carry, but I saw it as a responsibility I owed myself and my wife (and society overall) to seek out advanced training so I could be effective should Naperville or a nearby community suddenly surprise me with violence uncharacteristic. Give it some thought. The reason you carry at all, even in a safe neighborhood, is "what if" based preparedness. An extra magazine is just a more developed scope of "what if".

Archived