Preferred .380 Auto practice ammo

ArmedWithKnowledge

Hey all,

I'm a new Sig owner, just took possession of my brand new Sig P238 SAS this past Tuesday. I even got to cut the zip tie on the case! (And let me tell you, as someone who has OCD, being able to "break" the factory seal is soooo satisfying!).

But anyway, I've yet to take it to the range for the first time (I did of course thoroughly clean and lubricate it), and before I do I figured I'd query you folks and ask for your input on .380 Auto practice ammo. I'm not interested in reloading so that's off the table, and while I know a lot of people say they just buy whatever is cheapest, I'm actually less concerned with pricing and more interested in reliability, accuracy, and clean-burning powder. So with those qualities in mind, what are your recommendations for practice ammo in .380 Auto?

Hey all,

I'm a new Sig owner, just took possession of my brand new Sig P238 SAS this past Tuesday. I even got to cut the zip tie on the case! (And let me tell you, as someone who has OCD, being able to "break" the factory seal is soooo satisfying!).

But anyway, I've yet to take it to the range for the first time (I did of course thoroughly clean and lubricate it), and before I do I figured I'd query you folks and ask for your input on .380 Auto practice ammo. I'm not interested in reloading so that's off the table, and while I know a lot of people say they just buy whatever is cheapest, I'm actually less concerned with pricing and more interested in reliability, accuracy, and clean-burning powder. So with those qualities in mind, what are your recommendations for practice ammo in .380 Auto?

At the very least, practice with the same grain and general velocity of the ammo you're going to carry in it, if not the actual ammo you're going to carry. I carry Hornady FTX 90 grain in my backup .380, and while it's expensive to practice with, I don't think there's really another substitute to using the exact ammo you're going to be carrying.

I haven't really experimented with all the different brands out there, but I use Winchester white box. It is reliable.

The Winchester white box works very well in my Ruger LCP II, but it's almost guaranteed to jam at least twice in every magazine of my Glock 42. In .22, it's also problematic in both of my Ruger .22 pistols. I wouldn't buy more than one box of anything until you have determined what pairings work and which ones don't.

Just a follow up question, anyone use Target Sports USA to buy ammo? They're on the forum list for online retailers that ship to Illinois, but I want to see what opinions, if any, people have about them.

Thanks!

Yep, just bought 100rds of HST from them last week

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks!

I use whatever I can find. Most of the time that's Winchester, but sometimes Aguila is plentiful and cheap.

I'm shooting them out of a Ruger LCP so everything feels roughly the same as my SD loads. Just buy something that's similar in weight to your defensive loads.

I just placed my first ever online ammo order with Target Sports. Super easy and they seemed to have LOTS of stuff in stock. Free shipping on all bulk orders... And free shipping on ALL orders if you buy the $95 Prime Club thing, PLUS additional discounts and stuff. I will be very sad if it doesn't work. I believe I will be able to shoot more frequently at these prices.

Just a follow up question, anyone use Target Sports USA to buy ammo? They're on the forum list for online retailers that ship to Illinois, but I want to see what opinions, if any, people have about them.

Thanks!

I ordered 1,000 rounds on a Wednesday and received on Saturday. And, they ship to Chicago.

Thanks!

I ordered 1,000 rounds on a Wednesday and received on Saturday. And, they ship to Chicago.

I was reversed. Ordered late Saturday and got it Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've purchased many times from TargetSportsUSA. The only time things were a little slow in arriving was during the holidays. Never had a single problem with them delivering what was ordered.

I read reviews around the interwebs on them, and was surprised to see a lot of negative stuff. Like I said, they have a 100% track record with me, perfect. Hope this helps

Archived