Changes to Ohio Firearm Laws - Effective today

kwc

Those that spend much time in Ohio will benefit from recent changes enacted by Senate Bill 199, which go into effect today. Of note:

The changes to the law will allow anyone with a concealed carry license to carry their firearm in more places, including day care facilities, non-secure areas of airports and private planes. The changes also prohibit employers from telling employees they cant store their guns or bullets in their cars while at work. The law will still prohibit concealed carry on college campuses, but the colleges themselves will now be allowed to authorize people or groups to carry weapons on campus.

Other changes to the law include allowing concealed carry permit holders in school zones to exit their vehicles as long as their handgun remains locked inside the vehicle, authorizing certain childrens crisis care facilities to maintain firearms and allowing active duty members of the military to forgo getting a concealed handgun license as long as they carry valid military ID and can provide documentation of firearms training.

See the news report here:

http://nbc4i.com/2017/03/20/big-changes-to-ohios-concealed-carry-law-to-take-effect-tuesday/

Hi,

I never cease to be amazed at how trustworthy and responsible the citizens of other states are when it comes to firearms compared to us./Sarcasm off/

What is it about Illinois citizens that they are so unlike those of Midwest states? How is it that a few miles east, Indiana folks can even get a lifetime permit? Other examples abound. Why can't our politicians see the lesson offered by other states?

Color me frustrated!!!

Rich Phillips

Yes, richp, very frustrating. Yes, and you are correct, the source is politics. More anti-gunners and pro-gunners in the Illinois House and Senate. Simple. The solution is simple also, just a "numbers game" need more Illinois pro-gunner votes than Illinois anti-gunner votes. Simple answer, but difficult to achieve. Especially since pro-gunners cross both Republican and Democrat Parties. Most Republicans are gun-friendly, but not all of them. What can we do?

1) Most of us here have taken the first step by joining Illinois Carry/ISRA.

2) Many of us here have gone beyond be pro-gunners to being pro-gun advocates. We get plenty of guidance from outstanding and knowledgeable leaders in this forum. We complete Witness Slips, call and email politicians to take pro-gun actions. Compare notes with others here regarding who the pro-gun politicians really are.

3) Convince Illinois citizens you know about the importance and fun of firearms. If you only take one of the neutral ones to the range once and let them shoot a firearm for the first time (you can "share" your FOID) you will immediately dispel any fears they might have. I recommend a 22cal rifle first, 22cal pistol next, or the smallest caliber rifle you have after that. Make sure the targets are close enough for them to have fun and want to come back. Typically, once they get over the fear of shooting, then they have to get over the fear of failure before they repeat a range visit. Video below provides some insight.

4) Consult with them so they can eventually enjoy going to the range independently. Suggest they apply for a FOID card in the meantime. I'm comfortable teaching them basics. Formal education too soon just provides another possible barrier from shooting.

5) Get involved in politics in your neighborhood. Door-to-door canvassing provides unique opportunities to be an advocate. It also provides insight into how much work you have to do.

Once again, it just a "numbers game" regarding attitudes of citizens and politicians. Don't under-estimate your success. There's a lot of us here already doing these things. Lot's of "drops" will fill the "pot."

I'm happy to see there seems to be more and more new people on this forum. The "numbers game" won't change by itself. If anybody else has suggestions to win the ""numbers game" please tell us. Thanks

I wonder how active duty military will prove that they have had firearm training. Unless things have changed even more than I thought, ALL active duty military receive at least some firearm training in Basic Training and basic officer training courses (as well as at the military academies, in Officer Candidate training or ROTC for the officers), but I wasn't aware of ever being given some documentation of that training.

I wonder how active duty military will prove that they have had firearm training. Unless things have changed even more than I thought, ALL active duty military receive at least some firearm training in Basic Training and basic officer training courses (as well as at the military academies, in Officer Candidate training or ROTC for the officers), but I wasn't aware of ever being given some documentation of that training.

Good question. When I applied for my FL carry license, I sent in a copy of my AF Form 522, "USAF GROUND WEAPONS TRAINING DATA."

But this was issued after training with the M9 immediately before a deployment. I didn't get anything similar during my officer training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived