Attention all NRA Certified Trainers

Double-J

Anyone else get this today? Not quite sure what to make of it.

NRA cannot provide any assistance in training foreign persons due to conflicting information from the U.S. Government regarding regulations pertinent to foreign persons and arms training. NRA cannot process any requests for assistance in training foreign persons.

For example, applications for instructor certification of foreign persons will be returned, unprocessed, to the Training Counselor or Chief Range Safety Officer. We apologize for the inconvenience. We recommend that people interested in the subject of training foreign persons consult with their attorney regarding all pertinent regulations, including International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR CONCEALED CARRY APPLICANTS!

BE AWARE THAT WITH CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES ALL AGENCIES HAVE SEEN A SUBSTANTIAL INCREASE IN APPLICATIONS PERTAINING TO FIREARMS AND INSTRUCTION! THEY ARE VERY HARD WORKING, BUT CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH! YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE WITH THE INEVITABLE AVALANCHE OF APPLICATIONS THEY ARE TRYING TO WORK THROUGH. DO NOT SCHEDULE ANY CLASSES OR MAKE ANY PROMISES OF AVAILABILITY UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY DONE WITH THEIR PROCESS.

All agencies or organizations, both government and Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), trying to verify someone as an NRA Trainer or Range Safety Officer, are instructed to use the
"%5Dwww.nra.org/training%5B/url%5D site for verification, NOT the card or certificate (This will not work for NRA Law Enforcement trainers). This is because a trainer or RSO could be revoked the next day but still be walking around with a "valid" card. The website is updated every 24 hours. These agencies will need the NRA or Trainer number and the last name of the individual to be verified.

NRA cannot provide any assistance in training foreign persons due to conflicting information from the U.S. Government regarding regulations pertinent to foreign persons and arms training. NRA cannot process any requests for assistance in training foreign persons.

So does this mean that instructors are now required to check for citizenship and then to deny training for those that are not US Citizens? When the NRA says to check with your attorney for clarification, it doesn't sound like a good thing.

For example, applications for instructor certification of foreign persons will be returned, unprocessed, to the Training Counselor or Chief Range Safety Officer. We apologize for the inconvenience. We recommend that people interested in the subject of training foreign persons consult with their attorney regarding all pertinent regulations, including International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

BE AWARE THAT WITH CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES ALL AGENCIES HAVE SEEN A SUBSTANTIAL INCREASE IN APPLICATIONS PERTAINING TO FIREARMS AND INSTRUCTION! THEY ARE VERY HARD WORKING, BUT CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH! YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE WITH THE INEVITABLE AVALANCHE OF APPLICATIONS THEY ARE TRYING TO WORK THROUGH. DO NOT SCHEDULE ANY CLASSES OR MAKE ANY PROMISES OF AVAILABILITY UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY DONE WITH THEIR PROCESS.

All agencies or organizations, both government and Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), trying to verify someone as an NRA Trainer or Range Safety Officer, are instructed to use the
[/url]
site for verification, NOT the card or certificate (This will not work for NRA Law Enforcement trainers). This is because a trainer or RSO could be revoked the next day but still be walking around with a "valid" card. The website is updated every 24 hours. These agencies will need the NRA or Trainer number and the last name of the individual to be verified.

It means that if a person is a foreigner, i.e. non-resident of USA the NRA will not certify them as an Instructor. It can be confusing to make that distinction between who is a foreigner in the United States vs. who is a legal resident. It does not apply to US citizens.

Moreover, what that email really states is this: please don't contact us for assistance with how to handle foreigners. We are SUPER-busy with USA at the moment. :)

[/url]
site for verification, NOT the card or certificate (This will not work for NRA Law Enforcement trainers). This is because a trainer or RSO could be revoked the next day but still be walking around with a "valid" card. The website is updated every 24 hours. These agencies will need the NRA or Trainer number and the last name of the individual to be verified.

It means that if a person is a foreigner, i.e. non-resident of USA the NRA will not certify them as an Instructor. It can be confusing to make that distinction between who is a foreigner in the United States vs. who is a legal resident. It does not apply to US citizens.

Moreover, what that email really states is this: please don't contact us for assistance with how to handle foreigners. We are SUPER-busy with USA at the moment. :)

While their example talks about instructors, I take the first paragraph to mean students of ANY NRA class.

If you did not get it I would ask do you get any e-mail from NRA training?

I get something from them at least once a week.

If your not getting anything you should check your preferences on the site.

I will have to check on that. All I ever get is stuff trying to sell me stuff for instructors but it isn't that frequent.

Could be related to a scam going around a few years back.

A woman would write that her daughter attending college in the U.S. was interested in some handgun training. After responding, the next email would go into a money scam on how the daughter needs extra cash and they want to send more than what you quoted and you can keep some extra as long as we can wire it to your bank account.

You all know that scam, right?

Maybe not related.

IP Checks out below:

X-Originating-IP: [204.68.130.172] Authentication-Results: mta1063.sbc.mail.sp1.yahoo.com from=nramedia.org; domainkeys=pass (ok); from=nramedia.org; dkim=pass (ok) Received: from 12.102.252.84 (EHLO alnwmxc04.att.net) (12.102.252.84) by mta1063.sbc.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:08:41 -0700 Received: from go.nramedia.org ([204.68.130.172]) by att.net (alnwmxc04) with SMTP id <20130412170826a0400n5fkge>; Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:08:26 +0000 X-Originating-IP: [204.68.130.172] DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; q=dns/txt; l=6044; d=nramedia.org;s=test; h=from; bh=b0MN8uhPRPCg8AiLYlo/6Gzb2EKVGSEf65okQTct1wI=; b=emQYR6j/4U9XNL4Kyz/vEJpzJ3CiYgFQ+pbVnM79aIhG2oeJZ/2sGZ2NKjHLsu/Gdw+qKzKl 63mZDNl5TN42oeIJ9iZuL/E7S3cclRdTXE3/Gt4YTSYS8z2m0nTC+oZGOT2X6hmSc6JKhoyY D08aYC7DREuCRuNr+uWbmsCNWKo=; DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=test; d=nramedia.org; h=from; b=vZ7hepFQWzK6JryaLGstMV9RfXRSAbHryI3kAoZpQ+usEdUjj7SoT/54k0yX4LwYEBoCemD2 bx1XAJWm0V4lTpEjB1XgFy0azxHH83DMLhMebZipQ4+9fin6cOALCh9BbaClQPReyB2D7VtD 3Zduf1QfdANfNLim6yDySamHmh4= F

"NRA Education and Training" <admin@nramedia.org>

Here's the original email as sent:

post-8610-0-45661000-1365884176_thumb.jpg

Here's the original email as sent:

Odd. there must be some interpretation of the law that the government is causing trouble with. I can't imagine the NRA wants people to discriminate. What I find odd is while non-US citizens may not be eligible for certain CW permits, I can’t see any reason why there would be a warning to accept them for classes.

I think this email has to do with contacting the NRA for help on how to deal with foreign students. The NRA does not wish to spend time on answering questions related to how to handle foreign students.

They gave an example of the instructor app to try to clarify, but made it more confusing instead...

If you have a foreign student who lives in US and takes an NRA class, there's no way they can restrict that since there is no citizenship check/verification. If such a student however, asks you a question and you need to contact the NRA, this is exactly the scenario that email talks about. The NRA will not assist you in such a scenario.

I think the NRA can't train foreign instructors

I'll check with a contact I have in NRA training and see

well so much for that idea - it seems foreign nationals cannot be instructors or RSO's

that's pretty black and white - i got no direct answer students in basic course

Perhaps don't ask don't tell?

Archived