New guy here

jeterlancer

Hi guys! I'm moving to Chicago (yes, in the city) next week from the Dallas area. Yes, I know what I've gotten myself into. I got a job offer with a significant raise that I couldn't turn down, and despite the gun laws, Chicago is a pretty neat place.

Anyways, here's my plan. Tell me how it sounds.

• Obtain IL driver's license shortly after moving, wait for DL to come in mail
  • Apply for FOID
  • Take concealed carry class (should I do this while waiting for FOID?)
  • After FOID comes in, apply for CC permit

It looks like you can apply for FOID and CC permit at the same time. Is this recommended and does it save any time?

As long as I have my TX driver's license, am I okay with my guns in my possession?

welcome to the belly of the beast.....okay, that was too easy but a non-Chicago resident has to take those sometimes.

Your play looks good, and yes, you can apply for both the FOID and the CCL at the same time, but it doesn't save you that much time, if any.

You do not need the FOID in hand to take the LTC course. IF you are a veteran, bring your DD214, it saves you 8 hours of the course.

Hi guys! I'm moving to Chicago (yes, in the city) next week from the Dallas area. Yes, I know what I've gotten myself into. I got a job offer with a significant raise that I couldn't turn down, and despite the gun laws, Chicago is a pretty neat place.

• Apply for FOID

It looks like you can apply for FOID and CC permit at the same time. Is this recommended and does it save any time?

As long as I have my TX driver's license, am I okay with my guns in my possession?

I think you have like 60 days to get your new DL as an IL citizen and then go for FOID which you can do CCL at same time. Why not do that instead of stacking the two? In the meantime if you have a TX CCL you can carry concealed while in your vehicle.

FOID and CCLs are taking a bit longer now or so it seems per board reports. FOID should be 30 days but it is reported taking longer. CCLs with prints have 90 days...used to be more like 40-50 days but seems to be reports recently of 50-60+. Without prints seems to be in that 90-100+ but by law they have 120 days

ETA:

430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)

Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.

(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.

(Source: P.A. 99-29, eff. 7-10-15.)

welcome,you are entering a city full of brain dead lefty,s who don,t think we should be allowed to own firearms,a far cry from what you are used to in texas.the sheriff of cook county files more objections than any other county in the state,the democratic politicians in illinois don,t think you should own a firearm,the mayor of chicago is anti gun but the city leads in homicide of all cities in illinois.do some research and you might rethink your decision to move to chicago,illinois.with that being said i wish you good luck with everything in you,r future.

Welcome to the area and the forum jeterlancer. I think you will really like this forum. It is a great forum with great people. You will find that it is a great resource for anything firearms related and you might even make some new friends here. I'm not going to lie to you, Chicago is it's own little world that you might have to take a little time getting used too.

Illinois does not Honor any other states CCL. So anytime your firearm is in your vehicle it must be encased and unloaded. When you do decide to apply for CCL get fingerprinted it will save yo 30-40 days wait time. Your not going to be able to complete the online CCL license application until you have a FOID and your 16 hr training certificate. So while you wait for FOID approval (usually 30-40 days max) go ahead and take your CCL class. Welcome to the forum and Chicago as well.

Illinois does not Honor any other states CCL. So anytime your firearm is in your vehicle it must be encased and unloaded. When you do decide to apply for CCL get fingerprinted it will save yo 30-40 days wait time. Your not going to be able to complete the online CCL license application until you have a FOID and your 16 hr training certificate. So while you wait for FOID approval (usually 30-40 days max) go ahead and take your CCL class. Welcome to the forum and Chicago as well.

IL has no reciprocity with other states but allows 4 non resident states to apply. If a person has a home state CCL, they are allowed to carry while in their vehicle in IL

http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/043000660K40.htm

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a

firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under

the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (B) of Section 65 of this Act.

IANAL

• Apply for FOID

I think you have like 60 days to get your new DL as an IL citizen and then go for FOID which you can do CCL at same time. Why not do that instead of stacking the two? In the meantime if you have a TX CCL you can carry concealed while in your vehicle.

FOID and CCLs are taking a bit longer now or so it seems per board reports. FOID should be 30 days but it is reported taking longer. CCLs with prints have 90 days...used to be more like 40-50 days but seems to be reports recently of 50-60+. Without prints seems to be in that 90-100+ but by law they have 120 days

ETA:

430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)

Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.

(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.

(Source: P.A. 99-29, eff. 7-10-15.)

mikew explained that 60 day rule in this recent thread, coincidently started by another Texan moving to Illinois. The risk is you bring your guns here and then not have a FOID card in hand within that timeframe. That possession would be illegal until your received your FOID card.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64732&hl=

As a gun owner, you will be more restricted if you reside in Chicago's county, Cook County...even more if you reside in Chicago. It's not unusual for people from other counties outside of Cook County to commute to work in downtown Chicago. Many of those using the Metra Rail system. See link below if interested.

https://metrarail.com/

You actually CAN apply for both FOID and CCL at the same time.

If you find a class soon after getting here and get a Illinois DL, you could take the necessary classes on a weekend then double up the applying and start both cards at the same time.

Look ahead to the area your moving to and you should be able to find a class fairly easy.

Lots of great reading here so enjoy and Welcome!

• 1 month later...

Thought I should update this thread. I applied for my driver's license the day after I moved here because I wanted to apply for the FOID ASAP. It's almost at the one month mark and it's still under review. I'm going to take my concealed carry class soon.

Also, how the heck do you register to vote here? In other places I've lived, you just mail a form to the county, or even the driver's license office can do it for you. The only information I'm finding for Chicago mentions a January or February deadline.

http://www.chicagoelections.com/en/register-to-vote-change-of-address.html

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/motorvoter.html

Motor Voter Driver Services

...The Secretary of State's office does not register people to vote. It does, however, provide voter registration applications, which are forwarded to local election authorities for processing. When applying for or renewing your driver's license at a Driver Services facility, you will be asked if you want to register to vote. If you wish to register to vote at that time, you will be given a voter registration application form to sign, along with a receipt. You must retain the receipt until you receive your voter card from your local election authority. If you do not receive your voter registration card within 30 days, contact the local election authority listed on your receipt. ...

or check for online registration http://elections.il.gov/Default.aspx

Please do not attempt to register to vote at the Secretary of State's office.

The best way to register is to use the State's online registration portal. Unfortunately, due to the upcoming local elections on April 4th, online registrations are suspended.

If you want to vote in the April 4 elections, you have to go to the local election authority to register and vote all in the same visit, what Illinois calls a "grace period" registration.

This link will find you the location:

http://www.elections.il.gov/VotingInformation/EarlyVotingLocations.aspx

Sorry you were somewhat misled by earlier posts in this thread. The most efficient way for folks moving into IL to apply is to take CCL training ASAP, then change DL, then apply for FOID and CCL simultaneously.

If you'd had a little more advance notice of moving you could have applied for an IL CCL as a Texas resident. But it's higher cost. It would be interesting to know how the ISP would handle that.

If you're not interested in voting in the April 4th local elections, just wait until after then and then use the online portal.

https://ova.elections.il.gov/

If you want a drivers license in a hurry just tell the secretary of state you're here ILLEGALLY. Then join a gang and carry a gun it's that easy no wait time,finger prints or background checks. Its a sanctuary city if you get caught shooting somebody you'll be released in just a few hours back out on the street again to do it all over again. One more thing if your coming from TEXAS get a hold of a local coyote and transport a dozen ILLEGAL Immigrants and drugs on your way to help with moving cost.

And always remember to tell the courts you're a Democrat

GOOD LUCK

Thought I should update this thread. I applied for my driver's license the day after I moved here because I wanted to apply for the FOID ASAP. It's almost at the one month mark and it's still under review. I'm going to take my concealed carry class soon.

Also, how the heck do you register to vote here? In other places I've lived, you just mail a form to the county, or even the driver's license office can do it for you. The only information I'm finding for Chicago mentions a January or February deadline.

Are you wanting to vote in the upcoming election next week? If so, you might find this helpful: http://www.elections.il.gov/Downloads/ElectionInformation/PDF/GracePeriodReg.pdf

Are you wanting to vote in the upcoming election next week? If so, you might find this helpful: http://www.elections.il.gov/Downloads/ElectionInformation/PDF/GracePeriodReg.pdf

If not, you can register online two days after the election is held.

Or you can register by mail:

http://www.elections.il.gov/Downloads/VotingInformation/PDF/R-19.pdf

If you'd had a little more advance notice of moving you could have applied for an IL CCL as a Texas resident. But it's higher cost. It would be interesting to know how the ISP would handle that.

My guess on this - you would need to reapply as an Illinois Resident and begin the process and the wait time all over again, and pay the fees for the new in-state application.

If someone had an Illinois CCL as a Texas resident and relocated to Illinois, I think they have to reapply as an Illinois resident.

I would love to be wrong, but right now background checks on lost/stolen replacement cards take nearly as long as a new permit. It seems to be the same case with Illinois to Illinois address changes.

Perhaps all this will change one day...

Until then... VOTE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived