For those who have Appealed and Prevailed

IronSam

I want to start this Thread to provide Feedback from Applicants who were previously Denied, either by the CCLRB or ISP, and have received their Concealed Carry License. There have been a variety of Issues so include your reason for Denial and resolution.

Mine was Denied by ISP for "treatment of alcohol within the past 5 years". I attended a required DUI School and ISP took that report to mean Treatment for Alcoholism, which is prohibited for a license. My Appeal merely pointed to the fact that it was a matter of Semantics in the reporting language. They agreed after a 7 month wait.

I want to THANK Molly B. in particular for Her guidance to Me in the Appeal Processes.

It took 10 Months 9 Days, but worth the wait to have my License. 7+ Months Under Appeal to be Vindicated.

I might have given up without this Forum and IllinoisCarry.

Applied 1/8/14

Denied by ISP 3/10/14

Appealed 4/17/14 Request for Administrative Review. The Form is on another Thread.

Appeal Under Review 7 Months

Back ”Under Review” 11/10/14

ACTIVE 11/17/14

License Received 11/20/14

Thanks Molly B.! :heart:

Mine was Denied by ISP for "threat to myself/others" based upon a LEO objection from Cook County Sheriff.

I was arrested twice by Chicago Police Dept: once in 2003 and once in 2002 for Domestic Battery.

I was NOT convicted of either arrest, both cases were dismissed by the States Atty.

I did not even realize that there was a record of these arrests because I'd never had anything come up in background checks for work and other activities in which I'm involved.

It took over 10 Months, but worth the wait to have my Rights Restored.

Applied 1/13/14

Denied by ISP 4/4/14

Lawsuit Filed for Appeal 4/23/14

Remanded to CCLRB 9/12/14

CCLRB Requested Additional Info 09/16/24

Response Submitted 09/25/14

CCLRB Rules in my Favor 10/29/14

Back ”Under Review” 10/29/14

ACTIVE 11/19/14

License Received 11/22/14

Thanks Illinois Carry!

• 2 weeks later...
I won!!! Plus I did it all pro se.
The city of Chicago had filed 2 objections; both written in language that biased the review board, the language gave the impression that a report made against me back in 2011 for verbal assault to a previous girlfriend had lead to an arrest and conviction. In this case i was never questioned, arrested, or even made aware of the report. The young woman had made it up because she was angry at me for not answering the phone. My defense was a notarized disposition from the person who filed the report admitting it was false (she agreed to do it because the statute of limitations for false reports had expired)

Their 2nd objection came from an arrest of fighting that had no conviction, and in which I was the 911 caller, My defense was in the form of a notarized disposition from a witness indicating I was not the aggressor.

For those in Chicago I would say its important to challenge the language of the objection, as they appear to bias the story even in situations where you did nothing wrong.

CCL Appeal Win share.pdf

Mine was Denied by ISP for "threat to myself/others" based upon a LEO objection from Cook County Sheriff.

I was arrested twice by Chicago Police Dept: once in 2003 and once in 2002 for Domestic Battery.

I was NOT convicted of either arrest, both cases were dismissed by the States Atty.

I did not even realize that there was a record of these arrests because I'd never had anything come up in background checks for work and other activities in which I'm involved.

Applied 1/13/14

Denied by ISP 4/4/14

ACTIVE 11/19/14

Thanks Illinois Carry!

How much did it cost for you to get your rights restored?

Not including CCW application fees or training.

For what it's worth to everyone, here was my experience with having to go through the appeals process. Dates are approximate.

Applied 5/9

Rejected 5/10

Re-Applied 5/10

Denied 5/11 - Found out it was due to a suspended DL license because of a ticket from Ohio. This information would have been really helpful to know when I was rejected instead of after I was denied.

Appealed 5/20

Shortly thereafter, my status was changed to "appeal under review".

Status then changed to "under review" 11/28

Status changed to "active" 12/1

License received in mail 12/4

I was denied because an acquantance made a false police report stating that i threatened them with a gun.

All of which was a a made up store by said person. got it all straightened out ast the police station the same day. but since a report number was generated under my name listed as an offender, it stood in the system.

Went pro se. and won

I want to start this Thread to provide Feedback from Applicants who were previously Denied, either by the CCLRB or ISP, and have received their Concealed Carry License. There have been a variety of Issues so include your reason for Denial and resolution.

Mine was Denied by ISP for "treatment of alcohol within the past 5 years". I attended a required DUI School and ISP took that report to mean Treatment for Alcoholism, which is prohibited for a license. My Appeal merely pointed to the fact that it was a matter of Semantics in the reporting language. They agreed after a 7 month wait.

I want to THANK Molly B. in particular for Her guidance to Me in the Appeal Processes.

It took 10 Months 9 Days, but worth the wait to have my License. 7+ Months Under Appeal to be Vindicated.

I might have given up without this Forum and IllinoisCarry.

Applied 1/8/14

Denied by ISP 3/10/14

Appealed 4/17/14 Request for Administrative Review. The Form is on another Thread.

Appeal Under Review 7 Months

Back ”Under Review” 11/10/14

ACTIVE 11/17/14

License Received 11/20/14

Thanks Molly B.! :heart:

You know...I may be in the same boat as you. I applied a little over a month ago and 6 years ago I had a DUI and had to do a mandatory 10 hours for "treatment". I was afraid that they might deny me for that reason and it looks to be that I may be right. I will contact you if/when I am denied so you can help me with my appeal if you don't mind?

Happy to help, if needed. Watch for a change in status to Under Board Review which will indicate an objection and/or Denied, followed by a letter. Else you should be encouraged by remaining in Under Review status.

See this thread on the subject.... http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47887

• 1 month later...

Tell one... Tell all... It is VERY important that you keep fighting no matter what! Most really do prevail in the end. It may be inconvenient. It may be a little embarassing. It may be a lot of things. What it is most.... A validation that we are United States Citizens with the Constitution of this great country to back us up. That and we have great friends here to support and help us through the tough parts. Stand Together! All of us really are "We The People"!!!!

Good luck to all!

Hello everyone my name is Dave and I have three felonies on my record in Illinois. At the age of 19 I was convicted of possession of stolen property and possession of a sawed off shotgun. Three years later I was convicted of possession of a weapon as a felon. I wont waste your time explaining how much I regret my youthful stupidity or the price I continue to pay having it on my record. Although this process started over a decade ago it may be of some use to those that seek their CCL.

1989 Felony conviction for Possession of stolen property and felony possession of a sawed off shotgun.

1990 Possession of a weapon as a felon.

Thirteen years later I applied for a FOID card in Illinois. It was sometime around October 2003. This is the denial letter and information sheet dated 1/24/2004.

post-15128-0-40091200-1422755322_thumb.jpg

All court records MUST BE CERTIFIED COPIES!.

post-15128-0-85243400-1422754507_thumb.jpg

A representative in the Illinois State Police FOID division recommended that I include a personal letter explaining why I deserved and or wanted my rights restored. The following is the letter I had enclosed with my appeal.

post-15128-0-58173800-1422754298_thumb.png

On 03/18/2004 I had received this letter from the Illinois State Police granting me partial relief.

post-15128-0-92068700-1422755815_thumb.jpg

At this point I took a copies of all my information and a check for $1500.00 to my attorney. He had not taken a case like this before but he did like a new challenge. I didn't see the inside of a courtroom. My attorney took care of it all and sent me a certified copy of the court order when the judge approved it.

After forwarding the certified court order to the ISP, I received this letter dated 08/30/2004 and my FOID card.

post-15128-0-69693700-1422756990_thumb.jpg

Although it took less than a year to receive my FOID, I was very diligent on following up with researching, gathering information, and contacting people.

On January 5th 2014 I applied online for my CCL. I had completed the certification classes and submitted electronic fingerprints and checked YES on the felony conviction question.

February 3rd 2014 I received an e-mail denying my CCL. No letter, no explanation, nothing but your CCL has been denied.

After e-mailing, calling, and leaving voice messages with the ISP FOID division many times I finally had a real person pick up and tell me I would receive a denial letter in the mail. This letter failed to arrived. In mid March I contacted my state representatives local office. His assistant called the ISP FOID division many many times before getting someone to return her call. She was informed that my application was under review by the Firearms Services Bureau Chief and I should hear something soon. By this time it was past the 90-day failure to act deadline which would give me the right to go to court under (430 ILCS 66/87) Sec. 87. At the advice of my representatives assistant I decided to give the ISP some more time. The FOID division was very busy after all and I didnt want to spend two to three thousand if I didnt have to.

On July 4th 2014 I heard on the radio that the State of Illinois was ordered by the court to include a reason for denial on CCLs. I would like to thank the NRA for that. Their attorneys represented Michael Thomas in that case. >>>Please join the NRA!<<<

At this point I had asked my representatives assistant to start the phone calls again. After diligence on her part, I finally received a denial letter from the ISP. The letter was dated March 14, 2014 but I didnt receive it until the postmark date of July 24, 2014. Go figure! The reason for denial?????? The ISP determined that I did not possess a valid FOID.

post-15128-0-72373600-1422763607_thumb.jpg

Once again I gathered my documents, purchased certified copies of the court records, copied my FOID, and tried to upload it all on the ISP CCL website. Unfortunately, the appeals link did not work on the ISP web page. I decided it would be far better to send a certified letter to the ISP with all of the pertinent information. I figured they would ignore the letter anyway. The certified letter was sent on the 19th of September 2014.

Months went by and no letter from the ISP.

My representative was voted out of office in November so my phone calls to their office went unanswered. My only option at this point was an attorney. My original attorney was now a judge and I had trouble finding another that would take the case. $2000.00 to start and it would go up from there said the new attorney. I took a couple weeks to think about it and on January 22, 2015, I received my CCL in the mail. Just over a year from the original application date. I am 46 years old and it's been a long time since I have truly felt like a kid on Christmass morning.

post-15128-0-64802000-1422763842_thumb.jpg

Additional information;

Documentation required for appeal to the ISP for your FOID

http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/foid/revocation-appeal.pdf

CCL Request for Administrative Review

If you open this link in google chrome you can fill it out and print it. Otherwise you may have to print it and then fill it out.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQFjAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.isp.state.il.us%2Fappriss%2Fccw%2FCCLAppealApplication.pdf&ei=W6HNVOUYzanIBIeegfAL&usg=AFQjCNE0rV-QysVAB9q7C1YNt4Nvxn4wgA

Pay it forward in life, it pays back with dividens

Best wishes, Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone my name is Dave and I have three felonies on my record in Illinois. At the age of 19 I was convicted of possession of stolen property and possession of a sawed off shotgun. Three years later I was convicted of possession of a weapon as a felon. I wont waste your time explaining how much I regret my youthful stupidity or the price I continue to pay having it on my record. Although this process started over a decade ago it may be of some use to those that seek their CCL.

<snip>

Pay it forward in life, it pays back with dividens

Best wishes, Dave

Awesome story, Dave! Thanks for sharing that. I am incredibly proud of your hard work and dedication to get through this process. It was an honor to have you in my class. To this day, you are my only student who managed to put ALL THIRTY ROUNDS in the Ten Ring of the target!

It was great to run in to you today. Keep up the great work and stop by the classroom sometime!

-- Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I know . . . 'tis best to forgive to forget . . . but . .

Is there some legal recourse for these libelous lizards that make false reports?

If a few of these cases were prosecuted and reported on the news ( I know, a snowballs chance in heck)

maybe these liars would think twice before making a false report.

• 5 weeks later...

Applied for my license on the first day you could apply Jan 5, 2014. 461 days later went active April 11, 2015. I guess they do work weekends in

Springfield.

What on Earth could have taken them so long? I had mine rejected for a spelling error, then had a LEO objection, and needed to submit a psychological evaluation, and mine only took 114 days to go active. Sure, I got an expediting of mine because a Federal agency was involved, but still, you seem to have been screwed badly somehow.

What's the story here, if you don't mind me asking?

Applied: Jan 5, 2014

Denied: Feb 11, 2014

Appealed: April 7, 2014

Appeal under review: April 19, 2014

Under review: March 26, 2015

Active: April 11, 2015

This was due to a single DUI and the wrongful determination by the ISP that the class I was required to take was treatment. After a year of letter writing and phone calls I hired an attorney and petitioned the court to stipulate the DUI class I took was risk education and not treatment.

10 days after I provided the ISP with a court order clarifying the class was Risk Education my status changed from “Appeal Under Review” to “Under Review”. The time and money this license has cost me is incredible.

• 9 months later...

Applied 1/13/14

Denied by ISP 4/4/14

ACTIVE 11/19/14

Thanks Illinois Carry!

Can you give me some assistance on the appeal process? I'm exactly on the same boat as you. I was denied by the board because CPD filed an objection based upon 2 restraining orders alleging domestic violence. I was never arrested nor convicted. The board agreed with CPD that I'm a danger to myself/others.

• 8 months later...

I applied for my ccl in July 2015 w/prints and was denied August 2015 initially because supposedly (WHICH WAS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE) I answered the first 5 questions yes on the application. These are the statements verbatim of what I "answered yes" to:

1. I have been, within the 5 years preceeding the date of my application, been convicted of a battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.

2.I indicated that I have been convicted of domestic battery or a substantially similar offense.

3.I indicated that I have been found guilty of a felony.

4.I indicated that I am currently the subject of an existing Order of Protection or No Contact/No Stalking Order.

5.I indicated that I have been adjudicated a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony.

Why would I even apply for a ccl if any of this was the case? How could I have a valid FOID? Another thing is that I know for a fact that if you do answer yes to anything that would disqualify you, the application stops. Never could I understand why this happened but I had to get 5 affidavits, stating that "I" made the mistake when applying, get them notarized and fax them over. Well after a little over a year, which in "appeal waiting time" feel like 5 years, I have FINALLY went active as of yesterday. This whole ordeal was a bunch of (excuse my french) bull****! I feel for those who have invested money on prints and other things in hopes of getting the process expedited and also getting whats legally yours. Obviously and boldly being denied your rights. Anyway sorry for venting but this just pisses me off but I'm happy at the same time that its finally over....

Archived