List of new laws that take effect in illinois 2014

KarlJ

The worst law on that list is the cell phone one. Now, you're not allowed to answer your phone for a quick "where are you" or similar. Stupid, stupid law that will cause more harm than good. But it adds $$ to the police coffers, which is why it's there. One more thing you can be arrested for, even though it harms no-one.

I disagree. Distracted driving (cellphones are a portion of that) kills a lot of people on the road.

HB2695 "Requires the state to purchase vehicles that are electric or powered by natural gas

after Jan. 1, 2016; provides for the construction of charging stations and requires

that 25% of state police vehicles must use alternative fuels."

That should be interesting...an electric police car trying to chase a criminal in a gas powered car.

As with most draconian and/or stupid laws the police are of course exempt...

(b-5) On and after January 1, 2016, 25% of vehicles, other than Department of Corrections vehicles and Department of State Police patrol vehicles, purchased with State funds shall be vehicles fueled by electricity, compressed natural gas, liquid petroleum gas, or liquid natural gas.

And you can bet the 25% will be trivial vehicles like forklifts, meter collection scooters, golf carts and other similar vehicles as they parade around the single converted natural gas dump truck at public events...

The worst law on that list is the cell phone one. Now, you're not allowed to answer your phone for a quick "where are you" or similar. Stupid, stupid law that will cause more harm than good. But it adds $$ to the police coffers, which is why it's there. One more thing you can be arrested for, even though it harms no-one.

I disagree. Distracted driving (cellphones are a portion of that) kills a lot of people on the road.

Yep, there are study after study the proves that talking on a cell phone is just as bad if not as bad as drunk driving... As humans we are wired to focus on a single sense at any given time, we are fine machines but our bodies do have limits and barriers... Ever turned down the radio in the car when you were lost and looking for something? Ever closed your eyes when listening to music? We do the previous so we can focus on a single sense...

Hands free phones are not the perfect solution as it's still splitting the senses, but there are plenty of studies that show that it's much less of a distraction than holding a phone (one hand less on the wheel as well) and more like a radio that we can tune out easier if hands free...

Every day I'm out driving I come across someone driving dangerously because they are on the phone...

I wish I had the link to a video I saw several years ago, they had setup a driving course with cones and then had some volunteers (all ages) drive the course three different ways, the first way was sober and non-distracted, the second way was on the phone being given a grocery list to pick up, the third was legally drunk...

In the first run they all did the course pretty much perfect...

In the second run they all took out some cones, and it took every one of them longer to do the course as they were braking all the time, some even had to back up and correct their path to stay on course... There was also an evident correlation to the amount of the grocery list they could remember when they were done to how well they did on the course... Those that remembered the whole list took out the most cones and drove worse, those that forgot items or couldn't recall the entire list drove better but still not as good as the previous run...

On the third run, their performances were about equal to what it was when they were on the phone...

It was a pretty enlightening video to say the least...

20 years ago no one needed to give a blow by blow of where they were or answer a phone in the car just because, it won't be the end of the world simply get a hands free unit or pull over an make a call...

I agree especially if people are trying to use gps to find their way around. I wonder how many people will believe that any use of a cell phone is illegal while driving and in cases where they feel it necessary to report massive accidents on a freeway may stop the car and hold up traffic and possibly kill the engine if they are real paranoid prior to using the cell phone to call and report a traffic accident and/or other emergency situation. It also possible that those that are pressed for time among others may assume that the incident was already reported.

I agree especially if people are trying to use gps to find their way around.

Exempt, not a prohibited activity...

I wonder how many people will believe that any use of a cell phone is illegal while driving and in cases where they feel it necessary to report massive accidents on a freeway may stop the car and hold up traffic and possibly kill the engine if they are real paranoid prior to using the cell phone to call and report a traffic accident and/or other emergency situation.

Ignorance to the law is no excuse or defense, the activity you describe is exempt, and not a prohibited activity...

It also possible that those that are pressed for time among others may assume that the incident was already reported.

The law doesn't make people lazy or encourage them to not do something because they are in a hurry... Reporting an accident or emergency is an exempt activity under the law, if people choose to be lazy or not report things it's not because of the law...

Exemptions under the law...

(d) This Section does not apply to:
(1) a law enforcement officer or operator of an
emergency vehicle while performing his or her official
duties;
(2) a driver using an electronic communication device
for the sole purpose of reporting an emergency situation
and continued communication with emergency personnel
during the emergency situation;
(3) a driver using an electronic communication device
in hands-free or voice-operated mode, which may include the
use of a headset;
(4) a driver of a commercial motor vehicle reading a
message displayed on a permanently installed communication
device designed for a commercial motor vehicle with a
screen that does not exceed 10 inches tall by 10 inches
wide in size;
(5) a driver using an electronic communication device
while parked on the shoulder of a roadway; or
(6) a driver using an electronic communication device
when the vehicle is stopped due to normal traffic being
obstructed and the driver has the motor vehicle
transmission in neutral or park; .
(7) a driver using two-way or citizens band radio
services;
(8) a driver using two-way mobile radio transmitters or
receivers for licensees of the Federal Communications
Commission in the amateur radio service;
(9) a driver using an electronic communication device
by pressing a single button to initiate or terminate a
voice communication; or
(10) a driver using an electronic communication device
capable of performing multiple functions, other than a
hand-held wireless telephone or hand-held personal digital
assistant (for example, a fleet management system,
dispatching device, citizens band radio, or music player)
for a purpose that is not otherwise prohibited by this
Section.

Also excluded/exempt are "a global positioning system or navigation system or a device that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle."

Every day I'm out driving I come across someone driving dangerously because they are on the phone...

Them make "driving dangerously" illegal. It already is! Yes, some people don't pay attention to the road, but that's already illegal. This now law is similar to outlawing guns because some criminal use them badly. Outlaw the specific bad behavior, not the device!

20 years ago no one needed to give a blow by blow of where they were or answer a phone in the car just because, it won't be the end of the world simply get a hands free unit or pull over an make a call...

But it's a terrible inconvenience and trouble that now if I'm driving home, my wife can't call me to see where I am. Nor can I call to let someone I'm meeting for dinner know I'm late. It is a huge step backward... This is just a way for the nanny state to again over-reach and fill their pockets with money, similar to the speed and red-light cameras.

Plus, if someone calls, now to be legal, I have to dig through my laptop bag on the passenger seat to find earphones, insert them into the phone, and then try to pick up? Like that isn't more dangerous than just hitting "Answer"? And I'm sure it'll be safe to swerve onto the shoulder every time the phone rings?

This now law is similar to outlawing guns because some criminal use them badly. Outlaw the specific bad behavior, not the device!

This is nothing like outlawing guns because a criminal used them badly, they didn't outlaw the device, they outlawed a dangerous irresponsible use of the phone...

Just like they have outlawed shooting your firearm or doing other firearm related activities (like pointing it at people) in certain locations that could pose a public danger... You can still use your phone just do it hands free, they outlawed the 'bad behavior' of driving with one hand off the wheel holding the phone to your head, just like you suggested they do "Outlaw the specific bad behavior, not the device!"... They didn't outlaw the device, they only mandated how you use it while driving...

Remember driving is a privilege, not a right so comparing it to guns is flawed before you even started the comparison...

But it's a terrible inconvenience

So? Lots of things are inconvenient... It's inconvenient for a drunk to call a cab and/or call someone to drive them home and get their car as well doesn't mean it's bad law because it's an inconvenience to some... It's inconvenient for me to stop at stop signs and red lights when no one is around... Doesn't mean those laws are not good and in the best interest of the public safety overall... There are numerous reports that support talking on the phone and driving increases your chance of causing bodily harm due to an accident, in fact for some age groups it accounts for something like 10% to 20% of all vehicular accidents...

Plus, if someone calls, now to be legal, I have to dig through my laptop bag on the passenger seat to find earphones, insert them into the phone, and then try to pick up? Like that isn't more dangerous than just hitting "Answer"? And I'm sure it'll be safe to swerve onto the shoulder every time the phone rings?

As you said, outlaw the bad behavior not the device, so in this instance don't do the bad behaviors you outlined above instead install and have your hands free available and plugged in before you put the car in drive, then you only have to hit answer... Or if that is too 'inconvenient' install a hands free device inside the car that automatically pairs with your phone something a lot of newer cars already have... No swerving to the shoulder when the phone rings if you know the law and act responsibly...

install and have your hands free available and plugged in before you put the car in drive, then you only have to hit answer... Or if that is too 'inconvenient' install a hands free device inside the car that automatically pairs with your phone something a lot of newer cars already have... No swerving to the shoulder when the phone rings if you know the law and act responsibly...

I don’t have enough minutes in the day already. Not going to add a more things to do just because the nanny-state government wants to feel better by controlling even more in this already overly statist-run freedom-hating state. So instead everyone should be required to waste a minute each time they get in the car to go set up headphones just in case someone might call them? It’s a drastic waste of time! It gives two terrible choices: Waste time every time you get in the car, or not be able to ever answer your phone. And for what benefit? So the police can write more tickets and get more $$?

As stated before, distracted driving is already illegal. People who drive dangerously by paying more attention to their conversation than the road can already be ticketed. But now you can be ticketed for daring to talk on the phone, even if you are 100% in control of your car and paying sufficient attention to the road. Talking on the phone can be the same as talking to someone in the passenger seat? Is that going to be illegal next? What about changing the radio station? It can be just as distracting... What about having kids misbehaving in the back seat? Should no-one be allowed to have kids in the car, because people could be paying attention to stopping them from fighting and not paying attention to driving? I’ve seen irresponsible people with all the above behaviors as well. This law paints with a very broad brush; it makes a very common and extremely useful thing illegal in order to stop a specific use case (which was already illegal.)

Archived