Under Board Review - Received ISP letter today - next steps?

jkoehler

I'm hoping to get to some good advice regarding my application process and I'd like to update this post as time goes on to help others in a similar situation as me.

Background:

I'm a 47 year old male and have lived in chicago since 1993, except for a two year period when i moved to arizona.

I've been a valid FOID card holder since 1993 and own 10 different handguns all purcased from GAT guns in Dundee up till this year.

I have no criminal record and have only been arrested once in 1999 on a dui charge in arizona, in which in pled guilty. In 2011, i had an ugly breakup with a woman who lived in dupage county. She attempted to get an order of protection against me. I went to court, with a lawyer. The judge initially granted her a temporary restraining order until the next court date, because i contacted her before the first hearing. At the final hearing, the judge declined her request for an order of protection, but ruled on a mutual no contact order, which we both had to sign. At that time, the judge also reinstated my FOID card. In 2012, the case was dismissed, and I have no active order against me.

I completed my CC class on February 24th and submitted application with fingerprints two days later. My application status read "under review" until two days ago when it changed to "under board review". Today i received a letter from the ISP which reads in full:

"in reviewing your application for a concealed carry license, the illinois state police received an objection to your eligibility from a law enforcement agency. the objection(s) has been submitted to the concealed carry licensing review board. pursuant to 430 ilcs 66/20, the board shall issue a decision within 30 days of receipt of the objection unless the board notifies you and the department that it needs an additional 30 days to issue a decision. you will be notified by the department when the board has issued a decision on your eligibilty."

Of course, there's no explanation as to what the objection was, or who made it.

What should i do next? i absolutely cannot afford a lawyer. i figured i should go to dupage courthouse and get records of my order of protection case to prove that i was not slapped with one, and that everything has since been dismissed. but would that even help?

or, should i just sit back and be patient and hope that the board will overrule the objecting LEO? Not so confident about that for some reason.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to get to any law enforcement agency that you think may have submitted an objection, and ask for any information they have on you, not just your RAP sheet but any police reports, phone records, or anything else. You don't have to have ever been convicted of anything, a phone call to the police, either by you or someone else can trigger the objection. I think the office has like 8-14 days to get you this information so you don't want to wait, since you only have 15 day to respond to the board if they ask for it. Once you have this information you should start writing an affidavit for each individual item. Make sure you have the affidavit signed by a notary public.

You should make sure you are ahead of the game as much as possible.

You are starting out much better than me having the 2015 board vs. the 2014 board.

I have no convictions at all or alcohol related matters, no gang affiliation of anything but an order of protection and a couple calls made by me to the police and I have been denied twice by the board and still have a court case ongoing. Applied 1-5-14.

Keep in mind in Illinois they will accept an objection by literally any LEO in the world.

By law, any objection filed by any law enforcement agency mandates that your application go before the CCL Review Board.

jkoehler,

Hang in there and wait for the CCL Review Board. It is very possible that they will over rule the objection, which is what they do with the greatest percentage of objections. Before they issue a denial, they will send a letter to you stating who objected and on what basis. The new Chief Legal Counsel for the CCL Review Board will make sure you receive ample opportunity to respond on your own behalf. At that time, if you would like input on how to respond, I will be more than glad to help.

thanks everyone for your responces. i didn't think about calling the police to get records. i need to call the lombard police. the day she tried to get an emergency order of protection i drove over to speak with her, not knowing that she did. she called the police and they came over and spoke with me. they informed me that she was seeking an op and i was very polite to them and left without incident. i'd like to get that report.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the standard letter stating there was an objection(s) and will make a decision. The letter is dated March 2 2015 but we know I didn't recieve on that date. It's been over 30 days and I have yet to receive anything from ISP also I'm still "Under Board Review" on the website.

Should I call someone to see where's my letter or wait until I get something comes in the mail?

I received the standard letter stating there was an objection(s) and will make a decision. The letter is dated March 2 2015 but we know I didn't recieve on that date. It's been over 30 days and I have yet to receive anything from ISP also I'm still "Under Board Review" on the website.

Should I call someone to see where's my letter or wait until I get something comes in the mail?

The board will review the objection. If they decide to overrule the objection, they will instruct the ISP to issue your license. If it is possible they will agree with the objection, they will send a letter stating what the objection is and who filed it. They will provide you the opportunity to submit documents and a statement in your own behalf before making the final decision to deny.

Molly I am sorry but I would not suggest waiting to get the police reports. He should wait till he hears from the Board to submit anything, but not wait on collecting information.

Once he gets that letter the clock is ticking fast and it can take days or weeks to get that information.

It may be of no use if the Board finds in his favor up front, but at least he would know what all is in his records and what the police have access to.

That's not a bad thing.

If they don't find in his favor he can then make the most of his 15 days he is given by law.

If you are not getting an attorney I wouldn't put my trust in others to get the job done in time. Stuff Happens, and it can be frightening writing a response in the best way to get the results you need especially if it is several responses.

Time has become our friend with the new legal counsel and new board. Applicants will be given all the time necessary to prepare their responses. You are welcome to spend your time as you please but unless you know who filed the objection and for what reason - it could even be a case of mistaken identity - you will not know what the board will want to see.

Again, spend your time as you please.

Molly you are absolutely correct that you will not know what the objection was for until he gets the letter but, the reason people are wanting to carry a gun is to be prepared, and they are going threw a lot of trouble to do that in hopes that they will never even come close to using it.

That is all I am suggesting, be prepared.

A person could have 50 things on their record and only have an objection for one.

I have never committed a crime, yet have been denied twice by the board and have been fighting this for over a year, having applied January 5th.

I don't trust any of them. I do have more faith in the new Board but I surly don't trust them yet either.

The old board lost my paperwork 3 times, both the hard copies and the uploaded information.

With the second denial I don't even think they reviewed me, I think they just dumped it because they were backed up and saw I had a court case.

If you have 5 cops, chances are one is bad or at least having a bad day, and the other 4 cops will always back up that one.

If you have one cop, he could be so busy that by the time he writes his paperwork he can start getting his information on the reports mixed up.

Then a judge will always trust a cop and his report over you.

I've been married into the police and have watched them do criminal and stupid things many times.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm writing you just to see if anyone has heard anything. I received my letter approximately 30 days ago and want to know if they were reviewing any responses. I have not received a letter stating that they need an extra 30 days so I was just trying to get an update. Seems like they would've waited to get the board together before sending the letters out if they could not work on them. Any information will be helpful thanks again.

Stephen Gipson

It is now May 1st and I'm still "under board review" on the ISP website and I have not received a letter from the board. The letter I received from the ISP informing me of an objection was dated April 1st. I thought they had, by law, 30 days to make a decision and inform me. Is this a good or bad sign? Is there anything I should do?

Archived