Father of Waffle House Shooting Suspect Charged

mauserme

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2019/03/14/travis-reinking-father-jeffrey-waffle-house-shooting/3016158002/

Father of Waffle House shooting suspect Travis Reinking charged with gun crime

Adam Tamburin, Nashville Tennessean

Authorities in Illinois have charged the father of the suspect in the deadly Nashville Waffle House shooting, accusing him of illegally giving his son the gun used to kill four people at the restaurant.

Jeffrey Reinking was charged Thursday with unlawful delivery of a firearm. Prosecutors said he gave his son Travis Reinking a gun despite the fact that his son had recently been hospitalized for mental health issues.

--more at link--

Jeffrey Reinking, 55, is free on bond and is scheduled to enter a plea on the charge in April. If he is found guilty, the charge could carry up to three years of probation time and a fine of up to $25,000.

The civil cases will vacuum up all his assets.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/jeff-reinking-travis-father-dad-jeffrey/

According to a press release from the Tazewell County Sheriff : “On August 24, 2017, the Tazewell County Sheriff’s Office received documents which indicated that the Firearms Owners Identification Card of Travis Reinking has been revoked by the Illinois State Police,” the release reads.
“Deputies located him in Tremont and served him with notice and confiscated his FOID card. Four firearms were also removed from him. His father was present at the time and possessed a valid FOID card. As the father had the legal right to possess the weapons, he was allowed to take possession of the firearms. The father agreed to keep the weapons secure and out of the possession of Travis.
Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said in a news conference: “The police department has received information that the guns were returned by Tazewell County authorities to Reinking’s father who has now acknowledged giving them back to his son,”

Again there’s details I’d like to know before I pass judgment. Did the transfer take place in Illinois? If the transfer took place in Tennessee did the transfer violate Tennessee law? If the transfer took place in Tennessee what legal standing does Illinois have to prosecute him?

If the transfer took place in Illinois then I would think the charges should be even more serious.

Again there’s details I’d like to know before I pass judgment. Did the transfer take place in Illinois? If the transfer took place in Tennessee did the transfer violate Tennessee law? If the transfer took place in Tennessee what legal standing does Illinois have to prosecute him? If the transfer took place in Illinois then I would think the charges should be even more serious.

I had to look. I'm guessing "unlawful sale or delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly:

Sells or gives any firearm to any person who has been a patient in a mental institution within the past 5 years" gives Illinois jurisdiction?

Mr Reinking should have known better...

Possession of a firearm by the mentally ill is regulated by both state and federal laws.

Federal Law

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

720 Ill. Rev. Stat. § 5/24-3.

A person commits the offense of unlawful sale or delivery of firearms when he or she knowingly:

Sells or gives any firearm to any person who has been a patient in a mental institution within the past 5 years; or

Sells or gives any firearms to any person who is a person with an intellectual disability.

720 Ill. Rev. Stat. § 5/24-3.1.

A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of firearms or firearm ammunition when:

He has been a patient in a mental institution within the past 5 years and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession; or

He is a person with an intellectual disability and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession.

Tenn.

Code Ann. § 39-17-1351.

The following are eligibility requirements for obtaining a handgun carry permit and the application shall require the applicant to disclose and conform compliance with, under oath, the following information concerning the applicant and the eligibility requirements:

That the applicant has not been adjudicated as a mental defective, has not been judicially committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution, has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of mental illness, developmental disability or other mental incapacity, and has not, within seven years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm because of the mental illness.

... inbred son. ...You base that on what?

Broad assumption that inbreeding is a root cause of mental and emotional deficiencies.

I’ll adjust to mentally and emotionally defective son who committed murder. The world would be a better place if he had not been born. Hopefully he did not extend the family twig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived