CCL invalidated for FOID address change!

madcow1007

My FOID card has my office address on it. At the time I applied for my FOID, the paper application stated that it only needed a "mailing address" and not necessarily your residence. My office is in Dupage and my residence is in Crook County, so it was advantageous to have the Dupage address on my FOID because some online retailers won't ship ammo to Crook County.

Anyways, I am selling the office condo and need to update my FOID. I got my CCL in early 2014 and it has my residence on it, same as my DL. I was just going to change the FOID to my residence, so I logged in online and clicked on change address and they wanted $80 ($5 for the FOID and $75 for the CCL). I called the ISP and after scolding me for not updating my FOID address when I applied for my CCL, they told me that they can update the FOID over the phone for $6. I gave her my payment info. She then informed my that she had to forward the information to her supervisor for authorization to not accept payment on the CCL and that in the meantime my CCL would be in "invalidated" status for between 2 days and 2 weeks. I tried to get clarification on what that meant and she said that the CCL was not valid and that I couldn't carry during that time (I thought to myself that the second amendment is my gun permit, but kept that to myself). I did protest, but she said that it was already in invalidated status and the only other option was to pay $80. I told her neither of those are acceptable options. She didn't care about my thoughts...

When I log in now, it shows my FOID is "under review" and the CCL is "pending payment".

Hmm, you may want to double check. Your CCL may NOW actually be waiting payment.

Yes, when I check now it says FOID is "under review" and CCL is "pending payment". I assume that the CCL is pending payment until the supervisor authorizes the waiver of payment for the CCL change of address, which apparently takes 2 days - 2 weeks.

She also told me the FOID address change takes 30 days, so I'm not very hopeful on the 2 weeks...

Reminder: You are in Illinois. Waiting for a waiver of payment for the CCL? You'll be dead before the state gives anything away. I didn't think that you could even apply for the CCL with a different address then the FOID. Something tells me their system failed to notice, what a shock. My suggestion would be to pay for the updated CCL even though there is nothing to update, FOID only. If they really are going to waive a fee, they can just refund the 80 after the heck froze over. Once you have paid for your rights, you can use them. It's my understanding that there is a grace period that carry is ok while waiting for the change of address card.

Reminder: You are in Illinois. Waiting for a waiver of payment for the CCL? You'll be dead before the state gives anything away. I didn't think that you could even apply for the CCL with a different address then the FOID. Something tells me their system failed to notice, what a shock. My suggestion would be to pay for the updated CCL even though there is nothing to update, FOID only. If they really are going to waive a fee, they can just refund the 80 after the heck froze over. Once you have paid for your rights, you can use them. It's my understanding that there is a grace period that carry is ok while waiting for the change of address card.

I had a similar issue back in 2014 that I posted about in this archived thread. The "Eligibility Analyst" who found the discrepancy between my FOID and FCCL application said there was no way I could have changed my FOID address online.

I assure him that when I did it there most certainly was, and sent him a link to screen shot of "Change Address of Record" screen. Being a new hire, apparently he was unfamiliar with the way things were done before June of 2012.

I wound up paying the $10 for a "corrected" version, then a few months later had to run through the hoops of paying $75 and being "under review" for moving from one side (and ZIP code) of town to the other.

I had a similar issue back in 2014 that I posted about in this archived thread. The "Eligibility Analyst" who found the discrepancy between my FOID and FCCL application said there was no way I could have changed my FOID address online.

I assure him that when I did it there most certainly was, and sent him a link to screen shot of "Change Address of Record" screen. Being a new hire, apparently he was unfamiliar with the way things were done before June of 2012.

I wound up paying the $10 for a "corrected" version, then a few months later had to run through the hoops of paying $75 and being "under review" for moving from one side (and ZIP code) of town to the other.

I tried telling this lady that the paper application, back when they had them posted on their website and they didn't make you jump through hoops to get one said that you just needed to provide a "mailing address". She insisted that the FOID, CCL, and DL all need to match and that I did something wrong. Other than ISP demanding it be so, where is there a requirement for such?

I can show her where the statutory language sets out the prices for updating an address on your FOID versus your CCL and that they're independent of one another.

I'm not actually asking them to waive a fee it's just that their system is set up in such a way that this is what's required for them to accomplish what I need done. I'm not actually updating the address on my CCL so they can't charge me for that and I am updating the address on my FOID. Charges for each are statutorily set independent from one another.

I can show her where the statutory language sets out the prices for updating an address on your FOID versus your CCL and that they're independent of one another.

The statutes don't really matter to them, their messed up processes are what are important.

I mean, who's going to stop them from violating the law?

I feel silly for 4 years ago thinking that Rauner might get the administrative systems working in a fair and reasonable way.

Hmm, you may want to double check. Your CCL may NOW actually be waiting payment.

Yes, when I check now it says FOID is "under review" and CCL is "pending payment". I assume that the CCL is pending payment until the supervisor authorizes the waiver of payment for the CCL change of address, which apparently takes 2 days - 2 weeks.

She also told me the FOID address change takes 30 days, so I'm not very hopeful on the 2 weeks...

When I did an address change due to getting 911 I called in and got the CCL payment waived, and because of them not charging for the address change on the CCL it invalids the carry license because it acts like you haven't sent payment. the supervisor will look at it and it will go valid in a few days. Just keep watching the login page and when it goes back to valid you can go back to carrying.

When I did an address change due to getting 911 I called in and got the CCL payment waived, and because of them not charging for the address change on the CCL it invalids the carry license because it acts like you haven't sent payment. the supervisor will look at it and it will go valid in a few days. Just keep watching the login page and when it goes back to valid you can go back to carrying.

Yeah, I understand why it's in "invalidated" status, but just because they have structured their system in an asinine way that doesn't give them the authority to invalidate my carry license. I jumped through all the legal hoops and paid the exorbitant fees to have my carry license for 5 years. They can't just arbitrarily cut time off of that because of their procedures. The law is the law and I don't care what their procedures are; they have to follow the law just like I do. I'm going to carry anyways and on the very remote chance it becomes a problem I'll happily see them in court.

Yeah, I understand why it's in "invalidated" status, but just because they have structured their system in an asinine way that doesn't give them the authority to invalidate my carry license. I jumped through all the legal hoops and paid the exorbitant fees to have my carry license for 5 years. They can't just arbitrarily cut time off of that because of their procedures. The law is the law and I don't care what their procedures are; they have to follow the law just like I do. I'm going to carry anyways and on the very remote chance it becomes a problem I'll happily see them in court.

I don't see "change of address" as one of the reasons allowed for license revocation.

This is just one of a million reasons why ISP should not be handling firearms licensing. Many years ago Florida started having some of these kinds of things with their state police agency handling carry permits, so the licensing administration was taken out of their hands and put in the Department of Agriculture.

I'm going to carry anyways

I know you are upset and we all appreciate the frustration, but that being said, you might want to keep that to yourself.

JMO

I was going to initially do that, but the reality is that I'm not breaking the law; they are. It is a constitutional right with "reasonable" restrictions in the form of IL legislation, which includes a "shall issue" provision given the applicant completes the required steps. I jumped through all of the hoops and the state is now required to issue the permit.

And just in case anyone was wondering whether the state would get this done in 2 days or 2 weeks, we're at 8 days and counting.

I also noticed an interesting thing at the top of the ISP website when I log in that states: "You have 30 days to make payment before cancellation."

So, if they don't get it waived in 30 days, they'll just go ahead and cancel my permit. I'm thinking about just paying, asking for a refund, and then disputing with my CC company...

I'm going to carry anyways

I know you are upset and we all appreciate the frustration, but that being said, you might want to keep that to yourself.

JMO

I was going to initially do that, but the reality is that I'm not breaking the law; they are. It is a constitutional right with "reasonable" restrictions in the form of IL legislation, which includes a "shall issue" provision given the applicant completes the required steps. I jumped through all of the hoops and the state is now required to issue the permit.

And just in case anyone was wondering whether the state would get this done in 2 days or 2 weeks, we're at 8 days and counting.

I also noticed an interesting thing at the top of the ISP website when I log in that states: "You have 30 days to make payment before cancellation."

So, if they don't get it waived in 30 days, they'll just go ahead and cancel my permit. I'm thinking about just paying, asking for a refund, and then disputing with my CC company...

That sounds like an idea that will lead to extra problems!

• 7 months later...
My FOID from 2013 and CCL 2014 both give my address as xxxxx N. Bxxxxxx, Barrington, IL 60010. However, my latest DL which I obtained in 2016 shows same address but in Lake Barrington, IL 60010 which is my actual address for the last 26 years. The reason for the difference is that for the FOID and CCL the online forms at the time FORCED the plain Barrington address due apparently to their ZIP code program. Fast forward to yesterday. I attempted to renew my CCL but the website forced me into an address change for these two cards. $81.60 to this corrupt state. While this process is underway you are locked out from being able to renew. My CCL expires Match 10 and I can envision being locked out too long to renew in time and thus have to start over from scratch going back to class, etc. What a crock!

My FOID from 2013 and CCL 2014 both give my address as xxxxx N. Bxxxxxx, Barrington, IL 60010. However, my latest DL which I obtained in 2016 shows same address but in Lake Barrington, IL 60010 which is my actual address for the last 26 years. The reason for the difference is that for the FOID and CCL the online forms at the time FORCED the plain Barrington address due apparently to their ZIP code program. Fast forward to yesterday. I attempted to renew my CCL but the website forced me into an address change for these two cards. $81.60 to this corrupt state. While this process is underway you are locked out from being able to renew. My CCL expires Match 10 and I can envision being locked out too long to renew in time and thus have to start over from scratch going back to class, etc. What a crock!
I changed my address as part of my renewal. $150 + convenience fee for new CCL and replacement FOID w/ matching number, both with updated address.

Archived