My Letter to Police Chief - After I was stopped while Carrying

Howard Roark

February 27, 2015

Chief ****** *****

******* Police Department

Dear Chief,

I wanted to communicate to you my compliments regarding an interaction with one of your officers that I had on February 10th. Officer **** ***** stopped me while I was driving southbound on IL 53 just south of St. Charles Road when he observed that I wasn’t wearing my seat belt. It’s a bad habit that I’d fallen into although philosophically, I don’t prefer “nanny state” type laws. Yet the law is the law and I understand that.

When Officer ***** approached my open car window (with my hands on the top of the steering wheel), I immediately informed him that I wanted him to know that I have an Illinois Concealed Carry License and that there was a loaded pistol in my closed backpack located on the front passenger seat. Officer ***** was very professional throughout the encounter and as an American citizen, I wanted to express my thanks for that. Officer ***** simply said something like “Okay, just leave it there” and then engaged in the typical type of questioning for a contact like this. Of course, he asked questions about my firearm, frequency of carrying it, whether I liked that particular model, and so on. I realize that almost all questions from an officer during a stop are part of an “investigation” but seeing no reason not to, I responded with the basic truths. When he asked whether I liked that particular model of firearm, I answered that “it’s better than a sharp stick for self defense”. Officer ***** seemed very at ease and mildly amused. Officer ***** was entirely professional and was kind enough to write just a warning, not a citation, for not using the seat belt.

I was slightly apprehensive initially when pulled over by Officer *****. Perhaps this is normal and nobody likes getting a traffic ticket. This was my first law enforcement encounter while carrying a firearm for self defense. I have had licenses for carrying firearms for about 6 years (issued by other States) and I was among the earliest applicants for an Illinois Concealed Carry License in January 2014. I became involved in the political and legal struggle to restore our natural right to bear arms and the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution around 2008. I did not grow up on a gun owning family, but two women in my family were victimized by criminals and that changed things for me. My mother was beaten by a stranger who was burglarizing her home when she arrived home, entered without knowing he was inside, and walked in while he was in her bedroom. These experiences shape your outlook. My mother is a nice little old lady. She was very afraid and began carrying a revolver (illegally) for several years afterwards. And who can blame her.

The point of this letter is to commend Officer ***** for his professionality and to thank the many Illinois law enforcement officers who have supported the rights of citizens to defend ourselves against criminals.

Sincerely

Howard Roark

********, IL

I was very pleasantly surprised that this letter was not about how ......'edit'.....your experience was with the police...this is a subject that has me nervous, not because I'm doing anything illegal, but more so because you don't know how people/police officers will react. I'm glad you had a good(?) experience and didn't get a ticket either! Hopefully you and I and everyone else have many more positive interactions with law enforcement/or no interactions whatsoever!

I was very pleasantly surprised that this letter was not about how ...'edit'.... your experience was with the police...this is a subject that has me nervous, not because I'm doing anything illegal, but more so because you don't know how people/police officers will react. I'm glad you had a good(?) experience and didn't get a ticket either! Hopefully you and I and everyone else have many more positive interactions with law enforcement/or no interactions whatsoever!

All comments I have seen on this forum have been positive as far as police interactions. I know you are a new poster on this forum and it is family oriented so please reframe from flowery language.Welcome aboard.

I have to ask why the need to inform the officer . Yes I realize it is a personal choice .

Nice letter just the same

It looks like it might have saved him from getting a ticket. Might have!

@DoverGunner,

I realize we are legally required to answer truthfully to police officers if they ask, but not required to automatically inform them. It's a personal choice based upon the circumstances, I suppose. Perhaps under different circumstances, I might make a different choice. I just felt like it and I wanted the encounter to go quickly because I was on my way to work. I support the way the law is written here in Illinois with respect to informing officers. I don't support "Duty to Inform" laws. In my view, officer safety is not harmed by law abiding citizens who have a loaded gun that is not in the hand of the citizen and not pointed anywhere that is threatening. Whether that the gun is on a persons hip, in a backpack, or in a purse. That is no threat to officer safety when we're talking about law abiding citizens. Criminals are a different matter.

I was very pleasantly surprised that this letter was not about how ...'edit'... your experience was with the police...this is a subject that has me nervous, not because I'm doing anything illegal, but more so because you don't know how people/police officers will react. I'm glad you had a good(?) experience and didn't get a ticket either! Hopefully you and I and everyone else have many more positive interactions with law enforcement/or no interactions whatsoever!

I had an interaction with a Carbondale police officer last fall when I was involved in a traffic accident in Carbondale. He did ask me if he could see my FCCL, though he didn't ask if I was carrying, which I was. He didn't ask where my gun was carried either. Just asked for my insurance card and questions about the accident.

@DoverGunner,

I realize we are legally required to answer truthfully to police officers if they ask, but not required to automatically inform them. It's a personal choice based upon the circumstances, I suppose. Perhaps under different circumstances, I might make a different choice. I just felt like it and I wanted the encounter to go quickly because I was on my way to work. I support the way the law is written here in Illinois with respect to informing officers. I don't support "Duty to Inform" laws. In my view, officer safety is not harmed by law abiding citizens who have a loaded gun that is not in the hand of the citizen and not pointed anywhere that is threatening. Whether that the gun is on a persons hip, in a backpack, or in a purse. That is no threat to officer safety when we're talking about law abiding citizens. Criminals are a different matter.

Personally I think you did fine and it worked to your benefit ie no ticket . Was just curious was all . Actually it was a good interaction

I was very pleasantly surprised that this letter was not about how ...'edit'... your experience was with the police...this is a subject that has me nervous, not because I'm doing anything illegal, but more so because you don't know how people/police officers will react. I'm glad you had a good(?) experience and didn't get a ticket either! Hopefully you and I and everyone else have many more positive interactions with law enforcement/or no interactions whatsoever!

XDSBill, you might want to edit out the cussin' or you'll hear from the Mods pretty quick. That's a no no here. :) :) Take care and welcome to Illinois Carry!

Stay Safe and Carry Responsibly

@DoverGunner,

I understand your logic but, if I could point out something many people don't understand. You might know you are a law abiding citizen but the officer is going into this blind. They have no idea if you are a law abiding person or a criminal. While you say officer safety is not harmed by someone not informing the officer, how many criminals inform if they are armed? Now if we put a criminal and a law abiding citizen on an even playing field, armed but not informed, how is an officer to determine the threat from the non threat?

To the OP, Officers have gotten a pretty bad rap, especially of late. I am sure administration like to get feedback on when something is handled in a manor you are comfortable with. Who knows your feedback my help support or bring change to policy besides only having negative feed back to develop from. A far as the officer asking questions about the firearm, I am sure it was not an investigation but getting your opinion possibly for future reference later if someone asks their opinion about carrying that particular model. Many officers were pushing for carry in this state just as hard as citizens.

All comments I have seen on this forum have been positive as far as police interactions. I know you are a new poster on this forum and it is family oriented so please reframe from flowery language.Welcome aboard.

I haven't seen anyone post about being pulled over by CPD yet. I live in Chicago but have yet have a ticket, knocks on wood

@DaBren,

As far as the Illinois law is concerned, I prefer it the way that it is: no duty to inform, but honesty required when asked. I wouldn't support the idea of a legally possessed firearm being cause for a search, or anything like that. If the law were changed to allow a citizen to legally answer "No" when asked about firearms, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. But I am very against "Duty to Inform" type laws.

I was carrying a Ruger LC9, single stack 9mm with one in the chamber. It was in a holster in my backpack. The officer told me his wife was thinking about getting a S&W Shield, which is very similar, and asked me what I thought about comparing the two. I said I liked the Shield a little better but that the Ruger LC9 is also very easy to carry and that I had other guns for target shooting, such as a Glock 17 and others. The place I was stopped was very near Article Two gun store and range. The officer has probably had other stops like this one, it was just the first time for me.

Not offering them anything, not their business.

Don't need any attaboys or attention.

I don't discuss my tool box, either.

If you get pulled over you had their attention. :)

^^^^ this.

If asked, I'll tell. If not, I won't. Remember, if the vehicle is registered to you, the officer will know you have an FCCL if he puts I. Your tag. I was pulled over in a vehicle owned by my company, so it didn't pop up. He asked. I told. No biggy, but no leg humping or palling around with gun talk, either.

^^^^ this.

If asked, I'll tell. If not, I won't. Remember, if the vehicle is registered to you, the officer will know you have an FCCL if he puts I. Your tag. I was pulled over in a vehicle owned by my company, so it didn't pop up. He asked. I told. No biggy, but no leg humping or palling around with gun talk, either.

Does not return with your plate.

It got me out of a ticket. I did not make a big deal about it just handed over my ccl and drivers license at the same time. He asked where it was at this moment then just asked me to keep my hands away from it. At the end he thanked me for my honesty and said because of which I got a warning.

Like anything else don't over think it. Treat people with respect. And I don't consider that leg humping as another poster out it.

Archived