Carry in Church?

highenuff89

The Ushers, at least, should carry. Others should as well, and the Pastor should know who are the embedded security before services.

I'm setting near to this church tonight. This story was tragic and devastated our community. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/08/church.shooting/

I carry at Church in order to defend myself and my family should the need arise. I am not "embedded security," and it's none of the pastor's or other parishioners' business that I am carrying.

Yes, BUT... You might want to stay away from the children's area and confine yourself to the adult area. You could find yourself in a sticky situation depending on the layout of your church if you are carrying in a kids wing or something. School,daycare, child care language could make that very tough for you. If you drop your child off at daycare but do disarm during the week, you might want to take a similar tact here not seeing how this is different. The church may not care, BUT in this case this is part of the CARRY LAW not the church's intent. Just sayin.

I always carry at church :)

I've carried at church probably since the carry law passed, (its private property so I know it was before I got my FCCL) and container carried before that. Bible covers can be used for transporting handguns as well as bibles. My pastor likes they idea of having at least a few folks in the congregations carrying or transporting.

The Ushers, at least, should carry. Others should as well, and the Pastor should know who are the embedded security before services.

I'm setting near to this church tonight. This story was tragic and devastated our community. http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/08/church.shooting/

I carry at Church in order to defend myself and my family should the need arise. I am not "embedded security," and it's none of the pastor's or other parishioners' business that I am carrying.

+1

Whether you realize it or not, you are.

Read the FCCA law. It's very informative.

I appreciate the sarcasm... I have read through it, just did not recall it being prohibited but wanted to double check.

Ummm. That wasn't sarcasm. That was good advice. You have the option of either asking people on a forum, where you may or may not get correct information. Or, you can go straight to the source.

The section of the FCCA that deals with prohibited places is actually pretty easy to read. It should also have been covered in your class.

I saw from your signup date that you've only had an account on IllinoisCarry for a couple of months. Welcome! There is a lot of good info available here, and tons of good people willing to help you with answers to your questions. In my personal opinion, I'd suggest reading the law first (as you said you did). Then, a brief search would be in order. I have seen the topic of churches come up several times, and you would have found the answer to your question had you searched. Reading the law is the first step, then searching the forum if the law leaves you confused (which it may: not all of the law is that clear). Lastly, reach out with the question.

Trusting your freedom to the knowledge of a group of people on an Internet forum is a bad idea. You may not always get correct information.

Whether you realize it or not, you are.

No, I'm not. We sit in the Transept with an emergency exit approximately 10 feet away. I have an unobstructed view of the nave. In the event that a BG starts making trouble, we are out the door. If said BG points a gun at me or my family, I will shoot him her or if I have a clear shot and fear for my life or great bodily harm. But Job 1 is to GTFO.

Church security is very complicated and must be coordinated and rehearsed early and often. Having a bunch of "sheepdogs" blasting away at who knows what is a recipe for disaster, what with the chaos, the likelihood of hitting an innocent, not knowing who is the good guy and the bad guy, etc.

Scenario 1 is an obvious threat: a gunman or gunmen burst through the doors at the back of the Nave. I have no shot from where I am and neither do the prisoners on either side of the aisle. We're up and out and dialing 911.

Scenario 2 is a little more complicated, and this gets to the problem of uncoordinated security: A known parishioner snaps and starts making threats, waving a gun around, whatever. Or at least that's how you see it. What you didn't see is that he noticed someone else pulling a weapon or making a threat. Yet another parishioner sees you rise and draw. There is little chance this scenario ends well.

Church security is serious business that, sadly, most churches including my own, do not take seriously. It begins with securing the exterior doors and parking lot so that the parishioners are not sitting ducks to someone rolling up and blasting away. It should be done by a team that is trained to communicate and work together to identify and neutralize a threat with a minimum of violence.

I carry to raise the likelihood that my family and I can get out of a potentially bad situation unharmed, and I sincerely hope that Churches take security seriously. Without disclosing to your Pastor that you carry, maybe it's a good idea to bring up the topic privately with him or her.

-dan

Ddan, brings up some interesting points. My pastor knows I carry at church but I haven't mentioned it specifically to anyone else. I imagine a number of folks expect that I do. I think it is fairly common knowledge that the church was used for the class room part of an Illinois FCCL class that I helped organize. However I did have one "gun guy" who went to a Frontsite handgun course with me and some others ask me a little while back If I had gotten my FCCL, I said yeah last March. He said "Oh I didn't notice!" That was a Sunday evening when I was wearing my shirt untucked, IWB carry. Usually I have my shirt tucked in, so I guess that's why he thought I wasn't carrying before. He's someone who container transported as small .380 in his back pocket. He's now moved out of Illinois.

I guess bringing up church security with the pastor always brings the possibility of the church being posted as an unintended consequence.

Ddan, brings up some interesting points. My pastor knows I carry at church but I haven't mentioned it specifically to anyone else. I imagine a number of folks expect that I do. I think it is fairly common knowledge that the church was used for the class room part of an Illinois FCCL class that I helped organize. However I did have one "gun guy" who went to a Frontsite handgun course with me and some others ask me a little while back If I had gotten my FCCL, I said yeah last March. He said "Oh I didn't notice!" That was a Sunday evening when I was wearing my shirt untucked, IWB carry. Usually I have my shirt tucked in, so I guess that's why he thought I wasn't carrying before. He's someone who container transported as small .380 in his back pocket. He's now moved out of Illinois.

I guess bringing up church security with the pastor always brings the possibility of the church being posted as an unintended consequence.

I had a lengthy discussion with our pastors and educated them on the Illinois law. I then had the Police Department and the State Attorney come to meeting and speak. We spent a lot of time educating people before a decision was made and it was decided not to post once they all understood that the carry license was gotten from a Cracker Jack box. In addition, it helped for them to hear from the police and the attorney's office that placing a sign could be signalling to criminals that you are unable to protect yourself.

I would encourage everyone to have an educated talk with your pastoral staff and elders/deacons so the correct information can be given.

um...."not" gotten from a CJ box, maybe?

I was going to ask the same thing. I can't see the question coming up on posting my church, unless the demographics of the congregation change a lot. Even then with present leadership, me and the pastor, it isn't going to happen.

My pastor got an email from a pastor in our denomination asking if any of the churches have a policy on open carry in their church. One pastor replied that they have a couple people who open carry in their church and said he thought they just normally open carried all the time and it was no big deal.

My church is not posted and I've been carrying for ~10 months; no one knows though my wife probably suspects. I know at least one of the pastors has been through CCL training, and in conversations with him I've offered my assistance if he knows anyone who would like help to apply for a CCL license. He has probably put two and two together, but beyond that it's been strictly "don't ask/don't tell."

I would characterize the congregation as generally conservative but with plenty of soccer moms, and though I don't think the board would vote to post, I'm hesitant to initiate questions about CCL that could possibly lead to a contentious and divisive issue. A security plan is in place with regard to the nursery, how the offering is handled, fire and tornado, and I believe someone patrols during services. But this last item is kept pretty hush hush. No idea who it is or if they are armed.

While our community as a whole is pretty peaceful, with what's going on in the world church has become (for me) a place of high alert. Having a rep for being "welcoming" can also have consequences.

I agree that you carry to defend yourself and family, "embedded security" I'm not sure what that means. There is no such thing as unofficial security, that is not what concealed carry is for, IMHO.

Archived