Justice John Paul Stevens dead at 99

cnwfan3

It seems that it is commonplace for a individual known to be moderate to conservative to get appointed to the federal judiciary, including the Supreme Court, and to then move to the Left in their judicial philosophy. And yet rarely if ever does it go the opposite way, i.e., a liberal judge becoming conservative after appointment to a higher federal court. I think two things account for this trend. One is the human tendency to seek approval from others. While becoming conservative would gain some approval, it would incur the wrath of those on the Left including the media. But should a moderate, as Stevens was said to be, move to the Left, they are praised and honored endlessly by the media and the academic community. You might think that getting to serve on the Supreme Court would be enough personal recognition, but human nature being what it is seems to push these otherwise intelligent individuals to embrace the Leftist viewpoint. A second reason is that to be a conservative is to respect and support the meaning of the Constitution as originally intended. This is a serious and worthwhile endeavor. But to become a liberal allows one to expand and change the Constitution to meet your political and philosophical whims, i.e., to become an activist jurist. It seems that some seem to relish this power and to view the conservative approach as stodgy and boring. This is why, it seems, that someone like Chief Justice Roberts could uphold the Constitutionality of Obamacare by saying that a law which expressly claimed not to be a tax was in fact a tax and therefore within the scope of authority of Congress.

But back to Justice Stevens. I will not miss him one iota and feel indifferent about his dying. He was clearly an intelligent person, and learned as well. For him to be so dismissive of the 2nd Amendment and the clear intentions of our Founding Fathers when they wrote this Amendment was intellectually dishonest and a betrayal of the oath he swore to when joining the Court. Good riddance.

But back to Justice Stevens. I will not miss him one iota and feel indifferent about his dying. He was clearly an intelligent person, and learned as well. For him to be so dismissive of the 2nd Amendment and the clear intentions of our Founding Fathers when they wrote this Amendment was intellectually dishonest and a betrayal of the oath he swore to when joining the Court. Good riddance.

^ ^ ^ That ^ ^ ^

^ ^ ^ That ^ ^ ^

Agreed !!

Archived