Chicago Lawmaker Encouraging Concealed Carry

Lou

It sounds like we have won over at least one member of the ILGA.

http://www.wlsam.com/2019/07/15/chicago-lawmaker-encouraging-concealed-carry/

Chicago Lawmaker Encouraging Concealed Carry

Jul 15, 2019 | nickgale

By Nick Gale, WLS-AM 890 News

(CHICAGO) After another violent weekend that saw eight people killed and at least 32 others wounded, one lawmaker is taking action by encouraging his constituents to arm themselves.

Bullets from a shooting that left a 22-year-old dead in the Austin Neighborhood on the West Side Sunday also found State Rep. La Shawn Fords (D-Chicago) car.

Bullets were also found down the block, lodged in a love seat in a nearby home in the 800 block of North LeClaire Ave.

Ford tells The Mancow Show on WLS-AM 890 that he is encouraging his residents to arm themselves against the violence.

I think about it all the time, Ford said of the shootings that plague his community. Thats why Im working with a concealed carry instructor and were going to go through the neighborhood and were going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.

The shooting remains under investigation.

Isn't he the rep that introduced legislation to outlaw Terry stops? I suspect he knows (or thinks) that his constituents are already armed.

EDIT: Here it is: HB186

I don't think that bill is specifically about gun related stops, but the concept of "carrying for protection" in some areas of Chicago is pretty well accepted. It's how you get through the day.

This makes me happy, happy, happy. Back when we were trying to get CC passed, those of us in Southern Illinois where all of our legislators were already on board, were encouraged to contact some of the NO votes and try to persuade them. Lashawn Ford was the only one whose response was worthy of further correspondence. We wrote back and forth several times and each of his emails was considerate and showed he was at least thinking about the issue, not a bit argumentative or belligerant. Although he ultimately voted with his party, I still felt like perhaps some day he would come around.

Lol, I remember after Concealed Carry became law, he had a town hall about concealed carry in Oak Park at the Little Red Wagon, that later went out of business after they posted that offensive sign. Anyway, when he asked for a show of hands on who owns a gun a would be carrying, he was taken aback to learn there were young ladies on his own staff that did. The look on his face was priceless. Afterwards, Todd and I went across the street to have a drink at the yet unposted Avenue Alehouse. We had a good laugh.

Hope his "constituents" can afford the ridiculous fee!

Maybe he would support legislation to lower the fee so poor minorities would be able to get a LTC. Maybe allow ranges in Chicago so they could train in Chicago.

Maybe he won't support the proposed fee increases and finger prints for the FOID card or just do away with it. We can dream I guess.

Wait a minute here.....forgive me if I'm wrong but.....

Wasn't LaShawn Ford the rep that made all kinds of "Gee, I'm thinking of throwing my support in with all you guys for this pro gun thing now" noises a couple of years ago.....

Then showed his true colors when he became one of the many many voices proclaiming that guns are bad and we have to make up laws against them.

Some in IllinoisCarry were taken in my his original 'leaning' toward conceal carry at first, then felt betrayed. This latest soundbite sounds and feels familiar.

Lie to me once, shame on you. Lie to me twice, shame on me.

I've been known to send a check to a politician outside my district because of their positions and views. But supporting this t*%d in a three piece suit will have to wait until I see him actually walking ALL his constituents into a class and fronting their class fees himself. After he proves that HE (and every member of his family and political staff) carries everyday. Until then, all this is just political theater.

This is just my gut reaction... I think maybe this guy finally gets it.

The comments about his constituents not being able to afford their second amendment rights are dead on... this is an opportunity to start some serious discussion (on the Democrat side) about reducing the financial barrier to concealed carry.

In Illinois, the people in the most danger are the least likely to be able to afford this civil right. This needs to change.

Since public transportation puts everyone at risk, perhaps one day it will dawn on the elected idiiots in Springpatch to remove the carry barrier on those conveyances? Nah.....I'm just idle dreaming. But hey, I've been a law-abiding concealed carrier here in Illinois for over 5 years now and for near 65 years THAT was an idle dream of mine too.

The comments about his constituents not being able to afford their second amendment rights are dead on... this is an opportunity to start some serious discussion (on the Democrat side) about reducing the financial barrier to concealed carry.

In Illinois, the people in the most danger are the least likely to be able to afford this civil right. This needs to change.

I wonder if there is any state that has lowered their fee for a LTC? Going constitutional carry of course eliminates the LTC and the fee that needed to be paid. Maybe a "special needs" LTC could be available to those who had an order of protection, at a low cost and without a training requirement?

Here's a radical thought allow someone with an order of protection carry if they have a Utah non-resident LTC. It has a classroom component on gun information . It also is recognized in many states. I doubt of course that that would happen as Illinois would lose revenue to Utah.

I wonder if there is any state that has lowered their fee for a LTC? Going constitutional carry of course eliminates the LTC and the fee that needed to be paid. Maybe a "special needs" LTC could be available to those who had an order of protection, at a low cost and without a training requirement?

We'll see if Ford is changing his position on guns when we see how he votes on gun legislation that comes up. Or is it just talk?

Here's a radical thought allow someone with an order of protection carry if they have a Utah non-resident LTC. It has a classroom component on gun information . It also is recognized in many states. I doubt of course that that would happen as Illinois would lose revenue to Utah.

Oh, he's for real this time. Someone shot up his whip.

The problem here is that just having a gun when things get bad isn't the solution. You need the gun before things get bad. You need to learn to use it. You need to train. For self defense, you need to be willing to use it when necessary and unwilling to use it when not necessary. Simply handing out FOIDs and Tauruses won't cut it.

"Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/2019-indiana-gun-law-reform-bill-eliminates-fees-more/#ixzz5txTQELts

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The legislation eliminates the fee for a five year license, as of 30 June, 2020. The current fee is $40. The application fee for a lifetime license will be reduced from $175 to $125, or $100, if the applicant has a valid Indiana handgun license. Licenses restricted to target shooting or hunting have also had their fees reduced. It appears the current $9.99 fee for fingerprinting may be eliminated."

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/2019-indiana-gun-law-reform-bill-eliminates-fees-more/#axzz5txQmrDS5

Archived