New gun range rules approved by Chicago City Council

InterestedBystander

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-chicago-gun-ranges-met-0525-story.html

New gun range rules approved by City Council

Chicago City Council on Wednesday approved a more lenient set of rules for the potential location of gun ranges in the city, after one key alderman said they would be allowed anywhere if officials didn't act.

After a dissertation on the issue by Ald. Ed Burke, 14th, the council voted without dissent to allow gun ranges in business, commercial and industrial areas, provided the owners get a special use permit which requires officials to consider objections from people and businesses in the surrounding area. No commercial ranges currently exist in Chicago.

The action came after the federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down previous, stricter provisions that only allowed ranges in isolated industrial areas that covered just 2 percent of the city. The court determined that the city could not prove assertions that gun ranges attract gun thieves, cause airborne lead contamination and carry a risk of fire.

The court ordered virtually all of Chicagos zoning restrictions as they applied to shooting ranges out of the zoning ordinance, leaving therefore absolutely nothing in place in Chicago to regulate firearm ranges, Burke said. The result of that situation is essentially . . . similar to that long-running TV series that some of us are old enough to remember. It was entitled Naked City. "

full story at link...

The special use permit requirement is the next thing the court will strike down.

Probably right on that one. Too easy subjectively to give the excuse that "there were too many objections by the residents". I guess the city has to be told exactly what to do when their dems dont like the courts outcomes.

Will bribes, kickbacks, and other payoffs to corrupt city officials follow the same schedule as for non-firearms-related Chicago businesses?

The same question I always ask myself when I see any construction downtown.

Who is getting paid, and who is getting screwed?

• 2 weeks later...

So who's opening the first range in Rahm's Chicago?!?

I'm sure he'll support whomever it is, with all his heart.

Someone tried to open a fancy high-end range a year or two ago, I think in River West. The Aldercreature supported it until he heard there would be a gun store, then he refused to sign off on the permits.

So who's opening the first range in Rahm's Chicago?!?

I'm sure he'll support whomever it is, with all his heart.

Someone tried to open a fancy high-end range a year or two ago, I think in River West. The Aldercreature supported it until he heard there would be a gun store, then he refused to sign off on the permits.

We all know that gun owners outnumber the gun control morons 10 to 1, meaning we could easily drown out their voices on issues like this. Sadly, these idiot aldermen only care about them, and always acquiesce to their whining and complaining. All you need is that one annoying soccer mom (it's always soccer moms...) and her annoying little posse to ruin things for everybody. I've run into these types before growing up: they literally have nothing else to do, so they dedicate themselves to destroying our rights.

Chicagoans own guns. They practice with guns. They get training. They are doing all these things at higher rates than they ever have. But, to do so, they go to the suburbs. They spend their money here. We collect the taxes and spend the money on our communities. It's about time some cash goes this way instead of that way. In principle, I think Chicago should be full of gun shops. But, as long as it's not, I'm fine with the current arrangement and the benefits of it for my community.

Chicagoans own guns. They practice with guns. They get training. They are doing all these things at higher rates than they ever have. But, to do so, they go to the suburbs. They spend their money here. We collect the taxes and spend the money on our communities. It's about time some cash goes this way instead of that way. In principle, I think Chicago should be full of gun shops. But, as long as it's not, I'm fine with the current arrangement and the benefits of it for my community.

Well said sir!

Archived